• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Where are they now...

Strings Jr.

Thanks Strings. Have to admit my memory ain't what it used to be. I have heard so many rumors surrounding the Spotlights. Like "they weren't a Custom Shop build", the wood was actually "left over from the 50's in the Kalamzoo plant", there might have been "more than 211 built", ......heard all kinds of crazy stuff, ya just never know whats true unless someone that was there speaks it. Thanks for all your great info.

I hate to steer too far off topic from this thread, but I do like talking about Spotlights.
True, I was there, but I don't have all the facts. Maybe some of the facts, but not all of them.

"They weren't a Custom Shop build"

True. There was no Custom Shop at that time.
They came down the line right along side regular production.

"The wood was actually left over from the 50's"

IMO, highly unlikely. My belief is the maple was left over from
the Heritage Series Standards and Elites.

"There might have been more than 211 built"

I don't know where the 211 number came from, but this is what I can tell you.
I built serial number 83 210 in March '84. I also built serial number 84 009
in June '84 which leads me to believe there are other 84 xxx serial numbers
out there. Where are they now...

flognoth

By chance did you ever work on any of the Firebrands from the early '80's?

loduck

Thanx so much Strings for shedding some light and truth on the Spotlight series. You are da man! The following quote came from Vintage guitar magazine. That’s where the 211 came from. “Walter Carter, former historian for Gibson, notes that Gibson’s records indicate Spotlight Special serial numbers up to 211, so it was indeed a limited edition.”

Shocktop99

Hello! I have this 1979 Les paul custom, Nashville made, and i was wondering if it was you! S/N : 73039525
This a photo from a show i played last saturday, i don't have a good photo on my google drive at the moment
received-2084413231617856.jpg

Thank you sir!!
-Jake

Bill_S

Hi

I found out about this thread on The Fretboard UK guitar forum. I wonder if you can help me. I have a Gibson Flying V2 in Red Sparkle. The serial number is 82830006 and from this I have discovered it was built at the Kalamazoo Plant on October 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 1980. I have also gleaned, I think that the body is a maple-walnut-maple-walnut-maple sandwich. I have read all I can find on V2s but would be fascinated to learn more.

mJIp1af.jpg

I wonder if you are able to help me? Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited:

Strings Jr.

Hi

I found out about this thread on The Fretboard UK guitar forum. I wonder if you can help me. I have a Gibson Flying V2 in Red Sparkle. The serial number is 82830006 and from this I have discovered it was built at the Kalamazoo Plant on October 9[SUP]th[/SUP], 1980. I have also gleaned, I think that the body is a maple-walnut-maple-walnut-maple sandwich. I have read all I can find on V2s but would be fascinated to learn more.

That's a nice looking V you have there. Still looks brand new.
Unfortunately, I can't offer much more info than you already have. All of the V-2's at that time were built in Kalamazoo.
I did find one in my records that I assembled. It has a K-zoo serial number, 80262003 and likely was sent to Nashville along with the other unfinished, work-in-process instruments when K-zoo closed. I built it on February 15th, 1985.

Thanks!

RL

Bill_S

That's a nice looking V you have there. Still looks brand new.
Unfortunately, I can't offer much more info than you already have. All of the V-2's at that time were built in Kalamazoo.
I did find one in my records that I assembled. It has a K-zoo serial number, 80262003 and likely was sent to Nashville along with the other unfinished, work-in-process instruments when K-zoo closed. I built it on February 15th, 1985.

Thanks!

RL

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Have you any idea how many of these in Red Sparkle would have been produced? Just an estimate? I know the story about them not selling, Gibson recalling the Maple-walnut-Maple-Walnut-maple V2s (as opposed to Walnut-maple-walnut-maple-walnut versions) and spraying them all kinds of wacky colours...Cheers. And it really is like a brand new guitar - it cannot have been played much at all these past almost 40 years.

hrsbln

One of your guitars

This might be the most amazing thread I ever saw! (and I actually read every post of it.)
I found it when - just out of curiosity - I googled the initials "RFL" inside the control cavity of my phantastic 1986 Les Paul Reissue (Prehistoric), just to find out that the person behind these initials is actually active in this forum - that's absolutely amazing!

Randy, so this is a guitar you built, its serial number is "6 0553" and the picture of your initials and date (September 22nd 1986) is seen below, along with pictures of the guitar. I posted several pictures of the top, because I think it's great and on the other hand flame tops seem to be hard to capture, looking more or less different on each photo :biggrin:

It would be great to hear some memories of building Prehistorics in 1986, so right after the Norlin era had ended.
And maybe you even have a note on my guitar in your ledger!

Thank you!
Heiko

5FSsdbQ.jpg

wkVBWG0.jpg

Az96Of5.jpg

lBlgvfQ.jpg

IfJfZCf.jpg

6xAAACr.jpg

wmachine

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Have you any idea how many of these in Red Sparkle would have been produced? Just an estimate? I know the story about them not selling, Gibson recalling the Maple-walnut-Maple-Walnut-maple V2s (as opposed to Walnut-maple-walnut-maple-walnut versions) and spraying them all kinds of wacky colours...Cheers. And it really is like a brand new guitar - it cannot have been played much at all these past almost 40 years.
Interesting thread indeed! I recently bought a '79 Explorer E2 (E2 was '79-'83), the Explorer version of your V2. Likewise, I'm not finding a lot of info on these out there. Mine is a MWMWM. There are a fair number of anomalies on mine, and I'm trying to sort them out. I'll probably start a new thread about it.

Interesting thread indeed! I recently bought a '79 Explorer E2 (E2 was '79-'83), the Explorer version of your V2. Likewise, I'm not finding a lot of info on these out there. Mine is a MWMWM. There are a fair number of anomalies on mine, and I'm trying to sort them out. I'll probably start a new thread about it.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/VpxOvKXOwMgNWmaYQrPukHrz7PPcy2bwEdlYTjol1e4529I0HKzytWJ6mp6Gn3ia8br86FCvuPGkKVaqZ8wydJEUmKwKzS84YviUeA9Kq1Q_F7HhcJDEbes04TM1BoC4LTyBiUkHZQP5qFn383y8OhQLMTf_lm1_zJKSoEyOb2oBicnzlHY6aRw6SioT8Qmjs1H6j5eFd4Y5Lron7OIM6dRpFKdc0tZeafzkMdN5GYyetWsRiR_hSfCzF-jjGhTS0ykVAuAihxZc1dc7lIcnb6HpwqNT_E8l0i8Dpz8RMNLZe0KuF3jpi17bCHogyS_qC7aji9u9oVW0mwDNEyAFEXGe0kDG4nqsmWtbyyjq88oLkAWb2C-397Hk63dsCyV4HqXNNnxPsF098_qN-ys0UlziYQUoczzd5y-iFdnz4igh30zBXDxf5jzoKmLLBKoCHaXhkbqU4O76T9mcbo_ezpzuLocNurNgnyByGSxvlvR2zhRw1ayvUh55TyLJo9CDfxhzzAsUXZklRW3ag6JWsCf7_1b_0k5wSXjBH3Aj2QQvRMQ7tqiQmYoc92eGbnb9KuGp1qzxmHvjwIZHzT4LdijeKGWdNt2qics9yaXDEOJTficwBEX11ybJncKAX-OG0nNCX88qMZdC4X5WWwOUG9NpexFlbrwqD051jM3ys4ZhzZdNpgy8ED2Z6shfCNlePV2pn0sRudZus1MmaA=w1365-h767-no

LzZq0PG8a35v1VLApoA1QrnwSbs3ynUG2LkifrU8qf9O1LROg1Sn0ANvD9LQHdOWCzZeAQoOcIAHZYyo1nXrO6lIxel2Doue_HYMzj2F-L8Sm7DuFI0ZByHDtjoUq7KClISvfCJ93WD8tc9RknVlsgdarZyR9Gk5OVX-w74Av39Vhapb3tecliUNFbB3QrhC0nFFJAQiL7x7Xcno5grTDEFjBsckvPsGJLIi1xaksYJPGPt3kKWoKzpDl1QySDumYofhL7fVqPqkNI_nxVUtu0Qetus6ViR8gngUMPRJHei2i0HAK8ztJvvaGvgHk-HSco5jQt8OTqH9mbkLRL0Zz_uRqwlJANCavNdjMY5DxCQREFZE4PDBxSWtRHp8cN8q-IuLSrHU7Z_E95NdQcc6fV2H9c0oAczaxlg_-9SYBSVhUZHN1sdWXXxbV0f3fGO75gUYmukd5iG0knw1y3ozLSagbdPijOgCmbBBut16rqZWQQuB1I25Un2Pbkm8N6QOg1ea7yPkxMnp0uzQUcrtgGFK-T_c42MT9FBEEtp-yXJYFaRECHEDwmjscELVctwR8BhHMFc9Dg94PQmTPU7FGTKNx8NhtmyyGUUUhiKDFP8BsAFtGOd33419Dnzfx8NrF05OX0-0M7O9EyiIfTgTkQfnFznXWRuHj7w28nKqOJ2TDkrv41oV-t6gg5MkN8S4LVWVs0btAFDshxGwOA=w432-h767-no

zombiwoof

Hi

mJIp1af.jpg

How do those V-shaped pickups sound?. I would think it would make it impossible to do pickup swaps, so you are stuck with the originals. I'd love to see what they look like under the covers.
Al

Strings Jr.

No idea how many were produced. I worked in Nashville.
But from what I've seen, the majority had a natural finish. Most likely to "highlight" the laminate construction.

Strings Jr.

Re: One of your guitars

This might be the most amazing thread I ever saw! (and I actually read every post of it.)
I found it when - just out of curiosity - I googled the initials "RFL" inside the control cavity of my phantastic 1986 Les Paul Reissue (Prehistoric), just to find out that the person behind these initials is actually active in this forum - that's absolutely amazing!

Randy, so this is a guitar you built, its serial number is "6 0553" and the picture of your initials and date (September 22nd 1986) is seen below, along with pictures of the guitar. I posted several pictures of the top, because I think it's great and on the other hand flame tops seem to be hard to capture, looking more or less different on each photo :biggrin:

It would be great to hear some memories of building Prehistorics in 1986, so right after the Norlin era had ended.
And maybe you even have a note on my guitar in your ledger!

Thank you!
Heiko

5FSsdbQ.jpg

wkVBWG0.jpg

Thank you so much for posting these pics! It's amazing how you found this thread.
Your guitar's internal code was #130. I built more of these than any other of the "pre-historics".

Here's a snip from my ledger. Kinda ironic that I built your guitar immediately after I built the LP Jr. posted above.
Also, you actually have two sets of initials. The "FL" on the right was made by my Dad. He was the first Sound Booth Inspector after assembly. For him to put his initials inside, it had to be a very special guitar. Are you the original owner? Just wondering who installed the pickguard. I sure didn't.

Again, thanks for posting. I love finding out "Where Are They Now" :jim

Last edited:

Bill_S

How do those V-shaped pickups sound?. I would think it would make it impossible to do pickup swaps, so you are stuck with the originals. I'd love to see what they look like under the covers.
Al

Like a Telecaster! At least that’s what I am told, I don’t actually own a Tele. They are nothing like as powerful as a normal humbucker, but it’s possible to get fantastic edge of breakup tones. Many folk don’t like the V2 because of this lack of power, but I love them for it!

Bill_S

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/VpxOvKXOwMgNWmaYQrPukHrz7PPcy2bwEdlYTjol1e4529I0HKzytWJ6mp6Gn3ia8br86FCvuPGkKVaqZ8wydJEUmKwKzS84YviUeA9Kq1Q_F7HhcJDEbes04TM1BoC4LTyBiUkHZQP5qFn383y8OhQLMTf_lm1_zJKSoEyOb2oBicnzlHY6aRw6SioT8Qmjs1H6j5eFd4Y5Lron7OIM6dRpFKdc0tZeafzkMdN5GYyetWsRiR_hSfCzF-jjGhTS0ykVAuAihxZc1dc7lIcnb6HpwqNT_E8l0i8Dpz8RMNLZe0KuF3jpi17bCHogyS_qC7aji9u9oVW0mwDNEyAFEXGe0kDG4nqsmWtbyyjq88oLkAWb2C-397Hk63dsCyV4HqXNNnxPsF098_qN-ys0UlziYQUoczzd5y-iFdnz4igh30zBXDxf5jzoKmLLBKoCHaXhkbqU4O76T9mcbo_ezpzuLocNurNgnyByGSxvlvR2zhRw1ayvUh55TyLJo9CDfxhzzAsUXZklRW3ag6JWsCf7_1b_0k5wSXjBH3Aj2QQvRMQ7tqiQmYoc92eGbnb9KuGp1qzxmHvjwIZHzT4LdijeKGWdNt2qics9yaXDEOJTficwBEX11ybJncKAX-OG0nNCX88qMZdC4X5WWwOUG9NpexFlbrwqD051jM3ys4ZhzZdNpgy8ED2Z6shfCNlePV2pn0sRudZus1MmaA=w1365-h767-no

LzZq0PG8a35v1VLApoA1QrnwSbs3ynUG2LkifrU8qf9O1LROg1Sn0ANvD9LQHdOWCzZeAQoOcIAHZYyo1nXrO6lIxel2Doue_HYMzj2F-L8Sm7DuFI0ZByHDtjoUq7KClISvfCJ93WD8tc9RknVlsgdarZyR9Gk5OVX-w74Av39Vhapb3tecliUNFbB3QrhC0nFFJAQiL7x7Xcno5grTDEFjBsckvPsGJLIi1xaksYJPGPt3kKWoKzpDl1QySDumYofhL7fVqPqkNI_nxVUtu0Qetus6ViR8gngUMPRJHei2i0HAK8ztJvvaGvgHk-HSco5jQt8OTqH9mbkLRL0Zz_uRqwlJANCavNdjMY5DxCQREFZE4PDBxSWtRHp8cN8q-IuLSrHU7Z_E95NdQcc6fV2H9c0oAczaxlg_-9SYBSVhUZHN1sdWXXxbV0f3fGO75gUYmukd5iG0knw1y3ozLSagbdPijOgCmbBBut16rqZWQQuB1I25Un2Pbkm8N6QOg1ea7yPkxMnp0uzQUcrtgGFK-T_c42MT9FBEEtp-yXJYFaRECHEDwmjscELVctwR8BhHMFc9Dg94PQmTPU7FGTKNx8NhtmyyGUUUhiKDFP8BsAFtGOd33419Dnzfx8NrF05OX0-0M7O9EyiIfTgTkQfnFznXWRuHj7w28nKqOJ2TDkrv41oV-t6gg5MkN8S4LVWVs0btAFDshxGwOA=w432-h767-no

I love the look of that E2! I would love one of those to complement the V2. What are the pickups like and how does the neck feel?

wmachine

I love the look of that E2! I would love one of those to complement the V2. What are the pickups like and how does the neck feel?
Thanks, Bill. The cousin for you are the Cherry Red ones:
Thttps://reverb.com/item/16868757-1980-gibson-explorer-e2-vintage-guitar-cherry-red-sparkle-near-mint-w-ohc
[url]https://reverb.com/item/12580174-1980-gibson-e2-explorer-cherry-red

[/URL]
The neck is medium to small, but not too small. Seems to get chunkier toward the body? Stock pups are Gibson Dirty fingers. My bridge pup is swapped out for a Dimarzio and not sure if the other pup is original or not. Sound great, but no help to you.

Bill_S

Thanks, Bill. The cousin for you are the Cherry Red ones:
Thttps://reverb.com/item/16868757-1980-gibson-explorer-e2-vintage-guitar-cherry-red-sparkle-near-mint-w-ohc
https://reverb.com/item/12580174-1980-gibson-e2-explorer-cherry-red

The neck is medium to small, but not too small. Seems to get chunkier toward the body? Stock pups are Gibson Dirty fingers. My bridge pup is swapped out for a Dimarzio and not sure if the other pup is original or not. Sound great, but no help to you.

Wish you hadn’t shown me that one! 😉

VamboRool

Have you been asked about the women's names that sometimes appear (usually in the neck p/u pocket) on early 80s guitars? There is a thread on this topic.