Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Re: Where are they now...

how have i never seen this thread

this is so awesome. RABBIT HOLE

Les Paul Forum Member Pellman73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    Ok, one more for today. Here's a beautiful EDS-1275 with a flame maple top (and back), finished in a cool looking tobacco / honey burst. It has gold hardware, tortoise shell pickguards, and ivory truss rod covers.

Where is she now??

[IMG][/IMG]
    '
    SOOO KILLER!!!!

Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corpse View Post
    My buddy has two Reissues. He would love to get the background but these might be too early.
    80441566 with code 1750
    82191550 with code 2798

Thank you.
    I don't have those numbers, but they appear to be Heritage 80's.

1750 should be a quilt top Elite with an ebony board. 2798 a Standard with flame top and rosewood board.

That they are. Thank you.

I think Gibson has taken “special orders” for as long as they’ve been making guitars.
    The E-2’s were built in Kalamazoo, same as the V-2. I would say finding any documentation on a guitar that old, especially from Kalamazoo, would be a VERY long shot.
    Probably be a good idea to start a new thread about your guitar to explain these anomalies and why you think they are factory. There are people here that know way more about these than me. One thing I can tell you, I didn’t see any Kahler vibrolas at Gibson until 1983.

Good luck!
    New thread started!
    https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?210712-1979-Gibson-Explorer-E2-custom-or-customized-or-both
    "I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

I have an 80 LP Hertitage Standard 80 marked “RL 7-21-80” under the truss rod cover and marked “ star FL + 80” in the control cavity. Great guitar that made its way up to Canada. Code # is 0148.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Hall View Post
    I have an 80 LP Hertitage Standard 80 marked “RL 7-21-80” under the truss rod cover and marked “ star FL + 80” in the control cavity. Great guitar that made its way up to Canada. Code # is 0148.
    Very cool

I would love to see the pics!!

I purchased my 1985 Les Paul Standard in 2001 from a music store owner and guitar collector here in NH. After trying out several Les Pauls over the course of a few days I picked the 1985 pictured here because it played and sounded great and I thought the VCS finish was beautiful. Additionally, I couldn't afford much else in the seller’s large collection of Les Pauls.

The background on the guitar, as per the seller, was that one of his store employees had special ordered the guitar from Gibson in 1984. He took delivery in 1985 and after a short while had some money troubles and had to sell the guitar. The collector bought it and put it into storage with the rest of his collection. He told me he liked the flamed top and various other features of the guitar.

Over the years I've tried to learn everything I can about the guitar and even corresponded with Gibson about it. Gibson Customer Service, via e-mail and a telephone call, told me the guitar is the re-issue outfit as listed in their catalogue at the time. A hand-written note in the case also says '59 Reissue. I've never been convinced it is a reissue because it has a standard serial number (80475537), the Gibson logo has a closed b and a closed o, it has a Standard TRC, the knobs are speed knobs, the control cavity plates are brown not black, it has a metal jack plate instead of a plastic one, and has Posi-Lok strap buttons.

The guitar has a couple of features that are found on reissues. It has a thin binding in the cutaway, has a very nice flamed two-piece top, and had the Gibson Deluxe Pearloid tuners.

After reading all of the posts in this thread I have reached a conclusion that satisfies my curiosity. I believe my guitar is a 1985 Les Paul Standard that probably began life in the factory as a re-issue but during an inspection somewhere in the process was determined not to be worthy and was changed to a Standard. Perhaps the guy that ordered it requested these re-issue features but I struggle to believe it.

My apologies for this long post but I've wondered for quite some time about what this guitar might actually be. The posts in this thread have helped considerably in my reaching my conclusions.

Many thanks to Strings Jr. for starting this thread and being so forthcoming with information about the many guitars he built and helped build while at Gibson. If you have any records (like who Dianna is - she wrote her name in my guitar) or opinions related to this guitar it would be nice to know. Also, many thanks to everyone here who has contributed to this trove of valuable information.

For the record, I really like my Les Paul regardless of its history. It is in near perfect condition, plays great, sounds great, and is a piece of artwork that will be appreciated by me and others for many years to come. Pictures follow.

Thanks.

Tom

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1zZ3tJWboad4jAtk9

Last edited by allentd; 02-26-19 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Photo link added

Once in a while they will do an "over the top standard"- this is a case of that I believe. I had a RI 88 and 86 (in my avatar). The RI had a "purpler" back.
    I should have kept them both, but then they would sit and not get played. We have a 3 guitar rule (electric BTW)- it seems to work and definitely keeps the peace.

allentd, I have a similar situation. My number one Les Paul I have referred to as a 1987 prehistoric/standard. It is technically a standard. George Gruhn did an in hand inspection/appraisal in 1996 and he told me it was born to be a 1987 prehistoric but was downgraded to curly top standard, perhaps because the top was not book matched perfectly enough. But it has some characteristics of the prehistoric model, like thin cutaway binding, deep dish two piece top, and a very light weight. it is lighter than my telecaster. But it had chrome hardware and has a stamped serial number. I have modified it to my liking.

"What's it SOUND like, baby?" - Ray Charles

Once in a while they will do an "over the top standard"- this is a case of that I believe. I had a RI 88 and 86 (in my avatar). The RI had a "purpler" back.
    I should have kept them both, but then they would sit and not get played. We have a 3 guitar rule (electric BTW)- it seems to work and definitely keeps the peace.

Hi corpse. Thanks for the feedback. Those are a couple of beauties you had there.
    Last edited by allentd; 02-26-19 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmore View Post
    allentd, I have a similar situation. My number one Les Paul I have referred to as a 1987 prehistoric/standard. It is technically a standard. George Gruhn did an in hand inspection/appraisal in 1996 and he told me it was born to be a 1987 prehistoric but was downgraded to curly top standard, perhaps because the top was not book matched perfectly enough. But it has some characteristics of the prehistoric model, like thin cutaway binding, deep dish two piece top, and a very light weight. it is lighter than my telecaster. But it had chrome hardware and has a stamped serial number. I have modified it to my liking.

Thanks for the quick response, Elmore. Your and Mr. Gruhn's opinions are consistent with the other opinions I've read here. Thanks for sharing. Great looking guitar you have!

FYI, the curly maple/flame in my guitar doesn't show well in the pictures I linked to my post. I may have to try again to do it justice.

My 86 RI had a deep dish carve too.

Quote Originally Posted by allentd View Post

After reading all of the posts in this thread I have reached a conclusion that satisfies my curiosity. I believe my guitar is a 1985 Les Paul Standard that probably began life in the factory as a re-issue but during an inspection somewhere in the process was determined not to be worthy and was changed to a Standard. Perhaps the guy that ordered it requested these re-issue features but I struggle to believe it.

Hello Sir. Thank you for your kind words, and welcome to the forum!
    I agree with your assessment of your guitar. It’s a Standard with a reissue body. At some point in the process between body binding and neck fit, it was downgraded to a Standard. Your guitar was built less than a year before Henry took over, and Gibson was struggling, to say the least. Some reissues were shipped with tops that had a more “subtle” flame, and dealers began to complain. Therefore, the criteria for a reissue top became a little stronger. But the decision to downgrade wasn’t always the right decision. I have several entries in my ledger for Standards with “nice tops”, including this one built 19 days after yours.
    Congrats on owning this great guitar. I hope this info helps answer your questions.

Strings Jr.

Thank you for your feedback and insights. I really like my guitar and plan to keep it a long time.

allentd

Les Paul Forum Member Shocktop99's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PierceLP View Post
    I once saw a picture of a sunburst les paul with an explorer headstock. After doing some research i found this ad. And ive seen photos of ricky nielson playing one. So im not sure if it was his own custom thing or an actual run of les pauls with an explorer headstock. Either way, ive never seen one in person!

I typed in the address into the Wayback machine and found a little back story to this guitar!!!

84 Custom Explorer® / Les Paul®

Highly figured flame maple top with unusual Explorer headstock.

The story:

"I bought it in 1984 while a senior in high school (on a busboy's salary). I had wanted a Les Paul since I started playing and really wanted it to be a flame top, cherry sunburst. When I decided to take the plunge there was a case full of cherry Les Pauls at Rochester's House of Guitars (affectionately referred to in these parts as "The H.O.G.") but this one was the only one with a figured top.

Blaine said I could have anything in the case for $900. I decided on this one without even realizing it was a Custom Shop model with the Explorer headstock (not sure if he knew either). I gave him a hundred bucks or so (they used to let kids make payments) and made payments for the next 8 months before finally being able to bring her home. It was my only guitar for the next 10 years which was cool because we were playing shows in the late '80s when everyone else was playing pointy guitars with locking trems. I never gave her up though.

I never knew any details about it but I remember seeing Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick playing one on TV. "Hey, that's my guitar!" Then, a co-worker remembered seeing the same model in an article in a 1998 20th Century Guitar magazine. According to the article, there were only about 10 or 12 of these made for Aldo Nova for use in music videos. The one Rick Nielsen has sat on consignment in Gruhn's shop in Nashville for some time with nobody interested in it. Of course that changed after Rick bought it!

The Guitar is pretty much the same as the early pre-historicreissues with nickel hardware and Tim Shaw PAFs but North of the nut things change drastically!"

- Guy

Photo: Guy Coniglio

1979 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1984 Roland Jazz Chorus 120
    2019 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson Signature
    2019 2x12OG Emperor Cab
    1983 Fender Stratocaster Elite

"When you plug it in... when it gets electric, its just a complete different world."

-Adam Jones Circa 1994

"Live wrong and Perspire"
    -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Hall View Post
    Mine's 0138.

HeyShocktop- we need pics. Great guitar from the sound of it.

Les Paul Forum Member MeHereNow's Avatar
    Get my money, buy my medicine...

Yes sir! There were days when I built nothing but Customs.

You must be the proud owner of one of those gems!?!

Did you by any chance build 82073551?

Quote Originally Posted by miczap View Post
    Did you by any chance build 82073551?
    Sorry, couldn't find that number.

I've got several that are close. For example, 82073554 was built on August 15th, 1983.

Thanks for checking!

Les Paul Forum Member Shocktop99's Avatar

HeyShocktop- we need pics. Great guitar from the sound of it.

The picture should be in the reply, if you can't see it ive screenshotted it!!
    1979 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1984 Roland Jazz Chorus 120
    2019 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson Signature
    2019 2x12OG Emperor Cab
    1983 Fender Stratocaster Elite

"When you plug it in... when it gets electric, its just a complete different world."

-Adam Jones Circa 1994

"Live wrong and Perspire"
    -Anonymous

Sorry, couldn't find that number.

I've got several that are close. For example, 82073554 was built on August 15th, 1983.

Thanks for checking!

aw- damn.

Les Paul Forum Member Blue97FXSTC's Avatar

Hi Randy.

I have a 1980 Explorer E-2 model, SN 82120023.
    Is this one perhaps is your ledger?

Thanks,

Dennis
    Longevity is the key to success.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue97FXSTC View Post
    Hi Randy.

I have a 1980 Explorer E-2 model, SN 82120023.
    Is this one perhaps is your ledger?

Thanks,

Dennis
    Sorry, but that is a Kalamazoo serial number.
    I only worked in Nashville. Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVbKpERcG58

Is this one of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by flognoth View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVbKpERcG58

Is this one of yours?
    I didn't build it, but my Dad definitely did the sound booth inspection on it.

Couple of mistakes in the video, but a nice guitar nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing!