LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar

Re: Where are they now...

Quote Originally Posted by punkerg1 View Post
    Would you be responsible for my Leo #0336?

Sorry, couldn't find that number in my records.
    But I can tell you that the other 033X numbers I have were built
    in mid January 1983.

Les Paul Forum Member

Strings Jr. -

I was wondering if you participated in the build of a:

1983 Gibson Spotlight Special with the serial number 83 056

or

1983 Gibson Les Paul Standard with the serial number 83353572

Both guitars are marked with the "Custom Shop Edition" decals. I understand that there was no formal Custom Shop during this time frame and that all the Spotlights had these decals. Could you help me understand why the Standard I have has this decal while other guitars did not have these decals? Was there some kind of special criteria for the guitars with the decals.

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I have truly enjoyed your insight.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    Sorry, couldn't find that number in my records.
    But I can tell you that the other 033X numbers I have were built
    in mid January 1983.
    thanks for checking, i guess mine would be #36 out of Nashville? learn something new everyday;)

Quote Originally Posted by psigh4 View Post
    Strings Jr. -

I was wondering if you participated in the build of a:

1983 Gibson Spotlight Special with the serial number 83 056

or

1983 Gibson Les Paul Standard with the serial number 83353572

Both guitars are marked with the "Custom Shop Edition" decals. I understand that there was no formal Custom Shop during this time frame and that all the Spotlights had these decals. Could you help me understand why the Standard I have has this decal while other guitars did not have these decals? Was there some kind of special criteria for the guitars with the decals.

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I have truly enjoyed your insight.

Gary
    Sorry, didn’t see either of those in my records.
    You are correct, there was no Custom Shop at that time. The decals were part of a “marketing” effort to generate sales. They went on special, non-spec, short-runs of instruments that had special features that were easy to run down the normal production line. Not sure why your Standard has the decal. Pictures would help. I couldn’t find any other Standards in my records that were built during that time frame with the decal. I did see some Studios.
    Congrats on a couple of great 80’s guitars!

Quote Originally Posted by punkerg1 View Post
    thanks for checking, i guess mine would be #36 out of Nashville? learn something new everyday;)

Actually, you have #37.
    Number 0300 would be number one, 0301 number two, etc.

Les Paul Forum Member

Sorry, didn’t see either of those in my records.
    You are correct, there was no Custom Shop at that time. The decals were part of a “marketing” effort to generate sales. They went on special, non-spec, short-runs of instruments that had special features that were easy to run down the normal production line. Not sure why your Standard has the decal. Pictures would help. I couldn’t find any other Standards in my records that were built during that time frame with the decal. I did see some Studios.
    Congrats on a couple of great 80’s guitars!
    Thanks for the response. I'll try to get some pictures of the 83 Standard. I have a couple other early 80s guitars that I may ask you about. The Spotlight and the Standard are the best guitars I have ever owned or played. I know many will disagree with me but they feel better to me than any historic I have ever played. The Shaw pickups sound real good to me. I have never been lucky enough to play or own any 50s guitars so I can not comment about them. The only complaint I would have is they are heavy but I'm not a professional guitar player. So even though I'm getting on in years and have a bad back it's not a problem since I just play them while sitting at home.

Even though you may not have made these guitars I'm sure you know and worked with the people that did. Nashville early 80s guitars don't get the credit they deserve. Thank you and all your co-workers for all the hours of enjoyment you have provided me.

Gary

https://www.flickr.com/gp/124545651@N07/zty39H
    Actually, you have #37.
    Number 0300 would be number one, 0301 number two, etc.
    so this is number 37

cant seem to show image...
    Last edited by punkerg1; 04-11-17 at 04:27 PM.

How about this pretty blue, non-reverse 12 string?

Where is she now?

[IMG][/IMG]

Les Paul Forum Member Bloodspoint's Avatar

That's a beauty! Love that color.

The note on the back of this pic says this guitar was
    going to "Letterman's guitar player", but I can't verify that.
    This was '84~'85.

Anyone seen it?

[IMG][/IMG]

Les Paul Forum Member

Mmm mmm mmm. That is a television top alright! I love the eyes, nose and smiley-mouth right below the stop bar!

Don't stop please. What you share in this thread is just the best!
    "I wanted one until I got one." -- J45

Here's a little Moderne history for you Kris. I built two on November 1st, 1982 then, several each day thereafter. As you can see, numbers A 002 thru A 006, built on November 2nd, were prototypes. I have prototype numbers recorded thru A 018, so maybe safe to say the first 20 were prototypes. My numbers for the A 02X guitars were not prototypes. My records show that we were already into the "E" series numbers by the end of December.

[IMG][/IMG]
    You built prototypes at the same time as production models? I'm curious as to why. I always thought the prototypes came first. Am I incorrect thinking that?

Thanks for sharing this info. I've been wondering quite a bit about that white Moderne with the maple fingerboard as its the only one I've ever seen with that kind of board.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderne View Post
    You built prototypes at the same time as production models? I'm curious as to why. I always thought the prototypes came first. Am I incorrect thinking that?

Thanks for sharing this info. I've been wondering quite a bit about that white Moderne with the maple fingerboard as its the only one I've ever seen with that kind of board.
    Yes, this is the exact order they were built by me in Final Assembly. Once they hit the finishing department, they can get hung-up for days in repair.

The white Moderne was a Special Order. As far as I know it's a one-of-a-kind.

Since you're obviously a Moderne guy, I'll share a couple more "Moderne Facts" from my ledger.
    * I built one Moderne that had the standard, 8 digit serial number,
    * I built one with a 8 xxxx serial number.

Thanks!

Yes, this is the exact order they were built by me in Final Assembly. Once they hit the finishing department, they can get hung-up for days in repair.

The white Moderne was a Special Order. As far as I know it's a one-of-a-kind.

Since you're obviously a Moderne guy, I'll share a couple more "Moderne Facts" from my ledger.
    * I built one Moderne that had the standard, 8 digit serial number,
    * I built one with a 8 xxxx serial number.

Thanks!
    I have been collecting Moderne serial numbers and the photos of the guitars that go with them for probably 8 years now.

The 8 digits were first correct? DO you have any idea what the first Moderne was?

I think it might have been 82112017 Prototype which was black. I have a photo of Bruce Bolen in an office with a black Moderne hanging on the wall. I was curious if the black one was the first and if that serial was that guitar.

Would love to pick your brain on this someday. Would you be interested in talking outside of the forum?

Thank you so much for sharing your info. this is indeed a VERY good thread.

Last edited by Strings Jr.; 08-26-17 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderne View Post
    I have been collecting Moderne serial numbers and the photos of the guitars that go with them for probably 8 years now.

The 8 digits were first correct? DO you have any idea what the first Moderne was?

I think it might have been 82112017 Prototype which was black. I have a photo of Bruce Bolen in an office with a black Moderne hanging on the wall. I was curious if the black one was the first and if that serial was that guitar.

Would love to pick your brain on this someday. Would you be interested in talking outside of the forum?

Thank you so much for sharing your info. this is indeed a VERY good thread.
    82112017 would be a Kalamazoo guitar. I never saw any K-zoo prototypes.
    However, the date code of that serial number is just a few months prior to
    when Nashville started Moderne production, so it is possible.

Feel free to send me a PM or email anytime.

Thanks!

Hello Strings Jr.

what about the Ixxx series Korina Explorers?
    Have you built those too?

Thanks and very best cweckii

Quote Originally Posted by cweckii View Post
    Hello Strings Jr.

If you're referring to the Heritage Series Korina Explorers from the 80's, yes I did.
    They were great guitars!!

How about this pretty blue, non-reverse 12 string?
    Where is she now?
    Sadly NOT in my possession

Hello Strings Jr.

If you're referring to the Heritage Series Korina Explorers from the 80's, yes I did.
    They were great guitars!!

Thanks for your information on the Heritage Explorers (with the tulip tuner buttons).

Do you have any records which numbers you built and pictures to share - would like to see ...?

Best cweckii

Would you happen to know any information about my Spotlight Special ? It's serial number 83 023 I have owned it since the early 90s. Any information would be helpful I thank you so very much. This is a wonderful thread.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkwc37gebr...N0854.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/edoig7hc4e...N0852.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml4sb2jqgi...N0850.JPG?dl=0
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Quote Originally Posted by loduck View Post
    Would you happen to know any information about my Spotlight Special ? It's serial number 83 023 I have owned it since the early 90s. Any information would be helpful I thank you so very much. This is a wonderful thread.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkwc37gebr...N0854.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/edoig7hc4e...N0852.JPG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ml4sb2jqgi...N0850.JPG?dl=0
    Thank YOU!

What a beautiful guitar
    The grain in the walnut strip gives this guitar it's "signature".

Didn't see your number in my book, but if you ever have the pickups out
    be sure to look for my initials, RFL or RL. Also could be in the control cavity.

I did find 83 021. It was built on March 25th, 1983, so yours would have been
    built around that date, give or take a couple of weeks.
    Thanks!

Hello,

strings jr - any infos about the Explorers you made at the time?

Would love to see a few pics.

Thanks and very best!

this is the most interesting thread I've followed on the lpf ..thanks Randy and also for the reply to my r9 work request

Thank YOU!

What a beautiful guitar
    The grain in the walnut strip gives this guitar it's "signature".

Didn't see your number in my book, but if you ever have the pickups out
    be sure to look for my initials, RFL or RL. Also could be in the control cavity.

I did find 83 021. It was built on March 25th, 1983, so yours would have been
    built around that date, give or take a couple of weeks.
    Thanks!
    awwww that's too bad Strings I was hoping you were the father of this baby. I really wanted to learn more about the Spotlight model. Thanks so very much for replying to me. Mike
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Hello,

Would love to see a few pics.

Thanks and very best!
    I built my first Korina Explorer on May 27th, 1983.
    Continued building them on and off for about a year after that.
    Also built many with the Supertune vibrola.

I'll need to dig a little deeper to see if I can find any Explorer pics, but I did find this one.
    This is one of the first Korina V's we built.

Speaking of V's, here's a special one. This was the first replica of Lonnie Mack's vintage V.
    Right after this pic was made, it was delivered to Lonnie.
    Some of Phil Jones handy-work on this one, including the hand-made Bigsby mounting bar.
    Where is this one now?

Les Paul Forum Member bizzwriter's Avatar

Damn -- this thread just keeps getting better and better! LOVE those V's! Thanks strings jr!
    Music is the BEST!

Les Paul Forum Member FretsAlot's Avatar

I assume the guitar rack pictured behind you may be the guitars you were tasked with doing your process to... Did certain guitars get put in your rack for reasons not yet covered... or was it just 'luck of the draw' what got turned over to you for final assembly? Did you maybe have certain guitars that were known to be your favorites or you had a certain expertise with that might influence what guitars were assigned to you?

Loving this thread,

Fretsalot/Scott
    Owner/Operator of NW LP & Marshall Rescue Shelter: free drop off for your unwanted/abused LP's & Marshalls - no questions asked.

Hello,

Would love to see a few pics

I built my first Korina Explorer on May 27th, 1983.
    Continued building them on and off for about a year after that.
    Also built many with the Supertune vibrola.

I'll need to dig a little deeper to see if I can find any Explorer pics, but I did find this one.

I own 1 0004 in natural Korina and 1 0062 in Korina painted white at the factory.

Do you find these numbers in your log?

Thanks and very best

Quote Originally Posted by FretsAlot View Post
    I assume the guitar rack pictured behind you may be the guitars you were tasked with doing your process to... Did certain guitars get put in your rack for reasons not yet covered... or was it just 'luck of the draw' what got turned over to you for final assembly? Did you maybe have certain guitars that were known to be your favorites or you had a certain expertise with that might influence what guitars were assigned to you?

Loving this thread,

Fretsalot/Scott
    Thanks Scott! Actually, these pictures were made inside the sound booth where my Father worked.
    Once the tuners were installed, the Adjusters, as we were called, could choose whatever they wanted to build. But yes, anytime there was a prototype, special order, Artist Relations order, or anything that deviated from the norm, it was brought to me.

When we started building ES guitars, most people had trouble getting used to working through the F holes. Made it very hard to reach your quota for the day. So since I happened to be super fast at it, some days I would do nothing but assemble the hardware on them and someone else would string it up and make the adjustments.

As far as my favorites, anything with a nice top usually found it’s way to me. But my all-time favorites were the carved tops. There was no quota / time limit on building them. They had to be perfect. Period. Only me and one other guy were allowed to build them. I would do 100% of the hardware and setup on those, including the tuners, TRC, and pickguard. I also had to hand-sand the bridge base to match the top. When I finished, I would fill out the labels and install them too.

Good memories. Thanks for the questions!

Last edited by Strings Jr.; 08-24-17 at 05:49 PM. Reason: After waiting over 24 hours for the previous post to show up, I figured it wasn't going to. Then, both posts show up.

Les Paul Forum Member FretsAlot's Avatar

Thanks Scott! Actually, these pictures were made inside the sound booth where my Father worked.
    Once the tuners were installed, the Adjusters, as we were called, could choose whatever they wanted to build. But yes, anytime there was a prototype, special order, Artist Relations order, or anything that deviated from the norm, it was brought to me.

When we started building ES guitars, most people had trouble getting used to working through the F holes. Made it very hard to reach your quota for the day. So since I happened to be super fast at it, some days I would do nothing but assemble the hardware on them and someone else would string it up and make the adjustments.

As far as my favorites, anything with a nice top usually found it’s way to me. But my all-time favorites were the carved tops. There was no quota / time limit on building them. They had to be perfect. Period. Only me and one other guy were allowed to build them. I would do 100% of the hardware and setup on those, including the tuners, TRC, and pickguard. I also had to hand-sand the bridge base to match the top. When I finished, I would fill out the labels and install them too.

Good memories. Thanks for the questions!

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to more photos of the special builds
    Owner/Operator of NW LP & Marshall Rescue Shelter: free drop off for your unwanted/abused LP's & Marshalls - no questions asked.

This thread screams "Good Times!" as much as any I've ever encountered. Like many of us, I think of these days fondly, and seeing these pics teleports me right back to that time and place. Man, I wish I'd taken more pics myself.

Cheers my friend! Thanks for sharing so much of your incredible journey!

I own 1 0004 in natural Korina and 1 0062 in Korina painted white at the factory.

Do you find these numbers in your log?

Thanks and very best[/QUOTE]

Congrats on owning a couple of great guitars. Especially 1 0004. One of the first!
    I didn't find your numbers in my log, but here's what I built on June 9th, 1983.
    Your 1 0062 would have been built somewhere around that date.
    Thanks!

Oh yeah!!

Nice blend of features on this one.

Where is she now?

By any chance did you work any of the Firebrand SGs?
    Late March 1980, I don't have my SN immediately handy, I can update later.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    By any chance did you work any of the Firebrand SGs?
    Late March 1980, I don't have my SN immediately handy, I can update later.

Absolutely. They were the perfect "working musician's" guitar.
    Lightweight, ebony fingerboard, good pickups, and best of all, very affordable.
    Lots of people in the plant bought one.

Absolutely. They were the perfect "working musician's" guitar.
    Lightweight, ebony fingerboard, good pickups, and best of all, very affordable.
    Lots of people in the plant bought one.
    Yep, mine's my first electric guitar, got it used in about 91 or 92, for $300. Imagine finding a used Gibson for that these days...
    It was beat to heck when I got it, and I've added my own mojo since. That's my #1 guitar, I'd be living naked on the streets before I'd sell it.
    AIUI, they came with either mahogany or walnut bodies. Mine's mahogany. One of the original pickups was fizzing out, so I replaced them in
    2001 or so, Duncan Alnico 2 in the bridge and Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck.
    Had a refret around that time too, time for a recrowning pretty soon, I think.
    SN 80810614
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jb_abides View Post
    Fantastic thread, thanks so much for your contributions!

Did any lefty guitars pass thru your hands, including anything for EE?

Yes, but not many like this one.

This 347 should be easy to recognize.

Where is she now?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast