• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Where are they now...

JJ Blair

I just noticed the gold Leo Kwan bridge on that Liberace model.

Triplet

Hey Strings, I see you are post-pancake Gibson. Did you ever hear the reasoning behind the pancake construction? Thanks.

Strings Jr.

Been a while since I've posted here, so here we go again.

This was a special ordered 3 Pickup LP Standard in Alpine White with black binding and black hardware.

Where is it now?

Nick-O

This could indeed be my favorite thread on the internet, period. Says a lot. Please stop in often and keep adding to it all Mr Strings Jr sir!

WillyK

Hands down the coolest thread I have ever gone through ! I have read every single post in this thread, I dont think I have ever done that !

I do have a couple for you also I have a candy apple red standard serial no. 80253525 and a Wine red standard serial no. 80201689. By chance did you work on either of those?

Thanks for the thread keep it up!

Strings Jr.

Hands down the coolest thread I have ever gone through ! I have read every single post in this thread, I dont think I have ever done that !

I do have a couple for you also I have a candy apple red standard serial no. 80253525 and a Wine red standard serial no. 80201689. By chance did you work on either of those?

Thanks for the thread keep it up!

Glad you like the thread.

Two great guitars you have there!

Sorry, but I didn't have either of your numbers.

I built several of the 802535xx Standards during the first week of February, including 524
later in the day on 2/2. I'm sure yours was built in that same time frame. Thanks!!

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Been a while since I've posted here, so here we go again.

This was a special ordered 3 Pickup LP Standard in Alpine White with black binding and black hardware.

Where is it now?

With a Kahler to boot? :bug Did Steve Clark of Def Leppard order that axe, or simply a well-healed fan of his?

WillyK

Glad you like the thread.

Two great guitars you have there!

Sorry, but I didn't have either of your numbers.

I built several of the 802535xx Standards during the first week of February, including 524
later in the day on 2/2. I'm sure yours was built in that same time frame. Thanks!!

Thanks for looking for me, Keep this up, best thread on the net !!

ICTGuitars

Hi - any info out there on this one - dated 11-8-88 in the neck pickup cavity and says Randy Leonard, also RL signatures in other areas - almost a coral color - Serial # 82098569 - any info would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!
ARRWkPI.jpg
4I5h73f.jpg

Strings Jr.

Hi - any info out there on this one - dated 11-8-88 in the neck pickup cavity and says Randy Leonard, also RL signatures in other areas - almost a coral color - Serial # 82098569 - any info would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

HEY, WE HAVE A WINNER!!

Great looking guitar you have there. Yes that's (obviously) one of mine.
The color is what makes this one special. Very few were made in this color.
It's actually the same color as the guitar shown in post #255 above, but your pic shows
the color much better. Looks like the knobs have been changed at some point.
The originals would have been black speed knobs.

Thanks for sharing!!

RL

Last edited:

Strings Jr.

Did many 335 Artist models pass through your hands through the years?

Absolutely!

Actually they're called an ES Artist.
I have to admit, I never was a fan of the electronics. Besides that they were
good guitars. I built these four on May 25, 1982.

ICTGuitars

Thanks - I have the knobs - I put gold ones on - I guess I better put the others back on - Thank you! Any idea how many coral ones made? Thanks!

HEY, WE HAVE A WINNER!!

Great looking guitar you have there. Yes that's (obviously) one of mine.
The color is what makes this one special. Very few were made in this color.
It's actually the same color as the guitar shown in post #255 above, but your pic shows
the color much better. Looks like the knobs have been changed at some point.
The originals would have been black speed knobs.

Thanks for sharing!!

RL

Thanks - I have the knobs - I put gold ones on - I guess I better put the others back on - Thank you! Any idea how many coral ones made? Thanks!

loduck

Strings, did you ever do any spotlight specials? I have number 83 023 Thanks for all your info, this my fav thread on forum.

loduck

Sure, remember this?

Thanks Strings. Have to admit my memory ain't what it used to be. I have heard so many rumors surrounding the Spotlights. Like "they weren't a Custom Shop build", the wood was actually "left over from the 50's in the Kalamzoo plant", there might have been "more than 211 built", ......heard all kinds of crazy stuff, ya just never know whats true unless someone that was there speaks it. Thanks for all your great info.

loduck

Randy here is an excerpt from a magazine article on Spotlights. Maybe you could shed some light on questions for the Spotlight owners like me. Very much appreciated, you did beautiful work ! Thanks

“There are still many unanswered questions. Although the specs do not call for a pickguard, the abundance of examples with cream-colored guard with gold mounting bracket would indicate some were factory installed. Although the specs call for a one-piece mahogany neck, there is at least one with a three-piece laminated mahogany neck that is fatter than most other Spotlights. Some were also made with knob pointers, and the top hat knobs are a different shape than reissue knobs available today. Was Gibson using available parts inventories? Certainly, there is more to learn about the origin of the Spotlight, including how the features and design were decided. Was it really just serendipity?”