• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Where are they now...

sangandongo

This one's for Big Al.

Occasionally, a guitar would come through that was hard to let go of. This was one of those.

LP Deluxe with a nice 2 piece top, in Tobacco Brown Sunburst.

Built mid '85.

Where is she now?

Scan_20160627_zpsyyofgeiq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This one is my favorite.

Strings Jr.

Here's a couple of guitars I built that actually had names attached to them
when I built them. I built this special order re-issue with an original set of (used)
60's Kluson tuners, and an original (used) PAF in the rhythm position. Anyone know Tim Ward?
The second one is a Left Hand Flying V '83 with a Supertune Vibrola. It was sold through
a place called The Fret House to a Thomas Seymour.
Where are they now?

deytookerjaabs

@Strings Jr.

You mentioned earlier in the thread, a couple times, those guitars that were "hard to put down." Anything more specific that really caught your attention or surprised you repeatedly over the years??

zoommutt

You would think that somebody from LPF would have seen some of these guitars. It's like these guitars dropped off the face of the earth (or went to another country). Great thread.

Strings Jr.

@Strings Jr.

You mentioned earlier in the thread, a couple times, those guitars that were "hard to put down." Anything more specific that really caught your attention or surprised you repeatedly over the years??

There were lots of times when something really caught my attention, for example I distinctly remember the first time I plugged in a walnut guitar. The sound was so different and unique. Or how a 335-TD could sound so much different than a Dot. The “hard to put down” guitars were the ones where all the desirable features that players want came together. Nice top, great sound, decent weight, and especially that neck that just melts in your hand. Just like when you go to a music store that has a wall of guitars, but there’s that “one” that you could just play all day.

ADP

I built this one on August 1st, 1985. It's a Spirit II XPL.

Sporting a gold Supertune and special pickups from Mr. Shaw,
this was a SWEET sounding guitar.

Sent this one to Chris Hayes, guitarist for Huey Lewis.

Anyone out there own one of these?

Spirit%20II%20XPL%20Chris%20Hayes_zps5bttlgbr.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've owned two of these guitars! Both were awesome, both from 1985 - one was a black custom shop edition with black/gold post dirty fingers pickups and also had the ability to coil tap!

The other was a white one that I sold to my roommate, it had the two double white Shaw's and he's still got it to this day!

Strings Jr.

What year was that???? MY L5s are '74 and '78, but I think they made them up till the mid 80s. Wonder how many were
built in Nashville
?

This pic was made in late '84 or early '85. This L5 came to Nashville as a "white-wood" instrument with the rest of the
work-in-process stuff when Kalamazoo closed. If you'll notice in the rack on the right, there's also a Ripper bass and
an RD. Both from Kalamazoo. So to answer your question, how many were built in Nashville... one.

clearmudd

I recently purchased a 1977 BB custom and also own a '78 and '79 both of which are in the 11lb range but the '77 is under 9lbs!. My question to you sir is, have there been in your experience more examples of these customs being under 10 or 9 lbs.?

Strings Jr.

I recently purchased a 1977 BB custom and also own a '78 and '79 both of which are in the 11lb range but the '77 is under 9lbs!. My question to you sir is, have there been in your experience more examples of these customs being under 10 or 9 lbs.?

IMO, a late 70's Custom weighing less than 9lbs would be fairly rare.

clearmudd

IMO, a late 70's Custom weighing less than 9lbs would be fairly rare.
Thank you sir, I have weighed it on a couple of scales and I get 8 pounds 14 ounces. I would have to believe that the numbers that the Les Paul Custom were produced from that era, that there are a few them around.

Last edited:

Strings Jr.

You would think that somebody from LPF would have seen some of these guitars. It's like these guitars dropped off the face of the earth (or went to another country). Great thread.

Yes, that’s exactly what I thought.

Maybe someone has seen this one. At first glance it looks like a natural Custom.
It’s actually finished in a light, Coral. Chrome Bigsby and Grovers. Dual coil taps.
Pretty sure it was a LP Lite body.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

deytookerjaabs

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Just one observation, one thing I find with very unique Gibsons guitars made in the 70's/80's which you can't look up in "the book" is that there's a group of folks who love to collect then stash'em but also anyone who tries to trade one in (or sell) will often get the "I don't know how to price this" crazy low ball offers. To the point where I know in the past I've seen clean seen funky one offs go for real cheap on occasion. So cheap that the owners likely don't think twice about the rarity. So, many might be hidden deep in the collection while others might be sitting in Mom's garage.