The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 66
  1. #1

    Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    I had a seriously disappointing episode this week. I found loads of cracks in the lacquer on the back of the headstocks on both my 2015 Les Pauls (Less Plus and Standard). There is also a large area of 'sinkage' following the grain, wider than the pickups and the full length of the body on the Less Plus.
    I contacted Gibson Europe under the Lifetime Warranty and was turned away, on the grounds that 'finish is not warranted' and 'it must be the way I have stored them' and 'thats normal for nitro'. OK if they were 10 years old maybe - but these are 6 months old, kept in the cases, only played for pleasure in my home.
    It seems that Gibson not only produce guitars based on a '50's model, their customer service attitude is also based in the 1950's.

    All this on top of seeing the dealer prices plummet after I had shelled out a heap of money. I am gutted. What exactly does the warranty cover - specifically? Gibson are very vague about it. European Consumer Law includes 'appearance' as a quality issue, so I'm not sure they can legally turn this problem away....

    I am stuck with these I think. Can't sell them for anywhere remotely near a sensible price, due to the dealer price drops and finish issues, so can't replace them.

    I can honestly say that I will, sadly, never buy another Gibson.

    So I will be playing these for the next ten years or so, until the age of the guitar matches the poor finish - then at least I might get a fair price for them (Reliced ?)

  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,518

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    First, take a deep breath and relax. Lacquer is thin and will sink into the grain over time. Most see this as a benefit. The checking or cracking is a result of the physical properties of a thin hard finish and owner neglect. Neglect means not that the guitar was mistreated, rather that the guitar was exposed to fluctuating temperatures and humidities. It doesn't take much but those swings in environment effect the wood and finish much harder than they do too us.

    It is a hallmark for some. So much so that people pay a lot of dough to have people cut checking into new guitars. What a world, huh?
    The older I get, the better I was.

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Scotland
    Posts
    420

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    [QUOTE=Big Al;2707988...... Neglect means not that the guitar was mistreated, rather that the guitar was exposed to fluctuating temperatures and humidities. It doesn't take much but those swings in environment effect the wood and finish much harder than they do too us.[/QUOTE]

    Sometime in the 80s I returned from a jam session, unpacked all my stuff from the car, and forgot the Les Paul in the trunk. It was winter and the temperature fell to -20F overnight. In the morning when I retrieved it the face of the whole guitar was covered with very fine hairline cracks. I kicked myself but decided it didn't look that bad. Still there today.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member Elliot Easton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,441

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Have they cut down on the plasticizer?
    "A little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing."

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    The following isn't meant to be negative to you OP...just a view for you to consider.

    Gibson's customers have asked for thin Nitro finishes on their guitars...they've delivered. Customers want sunken grain, weather checking and super thin finishes because there's a view it improves tone and looks better over time. I tend to agree with most of the theory.

    6 months into ownership does seem quick for these characteristics to appear, but anything is possible with nitro.

    If you want finishes that don't move or shrink, Gibsons aren't for you...
    Otherwise known as Grant.

  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork
    Posts
    2,893

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Recent "thinner" lacquer referenced above is exclusive to the Gibson Custom/Historic line isn't it? The OPs guitars are from the USA line if I'm not mistaken.

    Also, just because a particular lacquer finish may be "applied" in thinner and/or fewer coats than in the recent past, doesn't necessarily infer the lacquer has been reformulated.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

    Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    I had a Traditional a little while ago and the finish was verrryyy thin, especially on the top. Very much like my R9.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member jrfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,124

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Finish Checking also helps prove that it's a real Gibson


  9. #9

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Just so you know I am definitely not anti Gibson - I own a 2012 LP Supreme, Nighthawk and ES339. All are stored in the same place in the same way as the two new ones which have cracked, and none of these show a problem of any sort.

    I actually expected a rush of replies defending Gibson - yup I got it.

    The guitars were stored in my comfortable home in their cases when not in use - not a sub zero car trunk. I expect sinkage and cracks to appear in nitro over a long period of time as a natural sign of ageing. I can live with that no problem - however after only 6 months it would seem to be a problem with the lacquer mix or application.
    I have built guitars and finished them in nitro - I am familiar with the issues. Gibson should have mastered the procedure by now.

    If the guitars were of Asian manufacture, no doubt we would see thousands of posts condemning them as rubbish rip offs -
    however they are Gibsons, so everthing is forgiven.
    I actually own a 1959 Hofner with nitro finish which has fewer cracks in the lacquer than these two Gibsons.
    Last edited by tokairic; 06-01-16 at 03:50 AM.

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork
    Posts
    2,893

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    The lacquer? Gibson does lacquer?
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

    Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

  11. #11

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    my 2014 57 HISTORIC ...Only had this for 5 months from brand new !!! was perfect when i had it ....infact i was so bloody mad that i have just gone out and brought another one ..a 2016 57 historic .. ....Perfect !! but i am expecting the same to happen again ...hopefully not so damn soon .....but i think Gibson instead of changing the tuners ...weight releif ...push button boosters etc etc etc ..would be far better to keep the design of the guitar as is , but offer an alternative finish like Polyester ..for people who "DONT" like there guitars checking but prefer them to remain looking New for many many years.

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork
    Posts
    2,893

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by paul kossoff View Post
    my 2014 57 HISTORIC ...Only had this for 5 months from brand new !!! was perfect when i had it ....infact i was so bloody mad that i have just gone out and brought another one ..a 2016 57 historic .. ....Perfect !! but i am expecting the same to happen again ...hopefully not so damn soon .....but i think Gibson instead of changing the tuners ...weight releif ...push button boosters etc etc etc ..would be far better to keep the design of the guitar as is , but offer an alternative finish like Polyester ..for people who "DONT" like there guitars checking but prefer them to remain looking New for many many years.
    Blasphemy ...........polyester on a Gibson Les Paul! Quickly..... make an offering at once.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

    Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Some place between bad wood & good wood
    Posts
    2,372

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    IMO polyester would be a bad market place move to even offer , you are also focused on just the finish . Being this is a fairly new guitar other factors can play a roll in this end result not just finish . Someone who builds high end products from raw log to finished product could explain cause & effect . I would suggest trying a Veleno . Gibson would be foolish to warranty something they can not have control over such as finish on wood .

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member D'Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,619

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    I feel your pain. You're still in the honeymoon period enjoying your pristine guitar and this happens. Ironically, it's highly likely that had this not happened in about six months you would have found a few dings and would be wondering if the guitar would look better with some checking to match.

    Seriously, finish sinking into the grain is very normal and a sign of a nice thin finish. Probably could be avoided if Gibson lenthened the dry times between nitro coats, but I'm no expert. Unfortunately, this can sometimes reveal some unevenness that can be seen and felt. I especially notice it on my R4 GoldTop LP, but it's also true for my figured R8. To me this is a very organic thing and not a flaw.

    The early checking is annoying so early, I agree. Honestly though, unless you had planned on selling this guitar as "mint", some checking on the back of the headstock will not affect resale value all that much. Maybe reduce the price $50-$100 bucks.

    My advice is to get back to enjoying the guitars for what they are, or move them, but don't waste any more emotional energy worrying about them or Gibson.

    I bet they are still extremely cool guitars that 9 out of 10 guitarists can only dream about owning.

    '02 Gibson LP '58 CA
    '03 Gibson Firebird CS Non-Reverse
    '05 Gibson LP '54
    '06 Gibson LP '58 VOS
    '12 Squier Bullet Strat
    '14 Squier '51
    '14 Epiphone Genesis Pro
    '92 Washburn D17SCE
    '70s Val Dez Classical
    5F1A Tweed
    V Series V1512
    #698 THD Univalve
    Crate V5 (OpAmp Mod)
    Crate V33 (SLO Mod)

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Open your eyes, ears and mind.

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    The two issues are almost separate in my mind.

    1. Lacquer sinking in...no problems...totally normal. Irefin'd an SG in black nitro recently, ensured I had a thin finish, and within a month it was starting to show the grain underneath (yes, grain filled).
    2. The cracking/checking...it does seem too early for this to occur. Temp changes and humidity can speed all that up...but still, it is early in the guitars life.
    Otherwise known as Grant.

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member jrfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,124

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by paul kossoff View Post
    ... i was so bloody mad that i have just gone out and brought another one ...
    I get your meaning but the statement does sound a little Crazy

  17. #17

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    The photo of the Goldtop is Exactly my problem. Glad I'm not the only one, I suspect there are many more out there, thinking theirs is the only one and they've just had 'bad luck' with this one. . This is obviously not sinkage, due to drying out and the cracks you can see are not the grain showing through. Possibilities are - wood not seasoned properly, nitro lacquer not mixed to the right proportions with thinner, not enough drying time between coats. All these suggest a 'rushed' attitude to guitar production- not a quality approach.
    Only the blind loyalty of 'Gibsonophiles' keeps them in business - think ('the Kings New Clothes' - look up the story)

    But why the heck did Paul go out and give Gibson more $$$$$ when they let him down so badly the first time. This is the "Gibson effect" in action. Don't forgive them, it reinforces their poor attitude that the customer is always at fault, and they will continue to charge vast amounts of money for substandard guitars.

    As I said, Appearance is actually listed in European Consumer Law as a reasonable defect to be covered under guarantees. Gibson are a law unto themselves and decide it isn't.

    One of the things that we find attractive, before we ever pickup a guitar to play, is the colour and finish. It is reasonable to expect the finish to last for an acceptable length of time before it deteriorates, say 5 years - not 5 months.
    If Gibson cannot nitro lacquer a guitar to a high enough standard to last a reasonable length of time before deteriorating they should UV Poly coat all their guitars except the Custom range, where people who pay between $5500 and $15000 will squeal with glee when their brand new guitar starts to look 20 years old.

    If I had wanted a 'Relic'ed' guitar - I would have bought one!!

  18. #18
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    On the crooked shelf
    Posts
    466

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    That seems to be a common problem for goldtops in that area.

    I remember the complaints 10/12 years ago (I was one of them) about the super thick plastic 'nitro' Gibson were using. The finish on my standard was still soft after 18 months. Nasty great smelling stuff. Now it looks like they have cut down on plasticiser and spraying it thinner and having the problems associated with that. I'd prefer the latter. I gave up on my LP and it sat under a bed for 3 years. Then I had it refinished with thin nitro and wow what a difference tonally. It no longer lives under the bed.

    I personally would never buy a polyester Gibson.

  19. #19

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by jrfisher View Post
    I get your meaning but the statement does sound a little Crazy
    well if or when it happens to this again ..i will have to buy yet another one ...making it 3 Goldtops

  20. #20

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by tokairic View Post
    The photo of the Goldtop is Exactly my problem. Glad I'm not the only one, I suspect there are many more out there, thinking theirs is the only one and they've just had 'bad luck' with this one. . This is obviously not sinkage, due to drying out and the cracks you can see are not the grain showing through. Possibilities are - wood not seasoned properly, nitro lacquer not mixed to the right proportions with thinner, not enough drying time between coats. All these suggest a 'rushed' attitude to guitar production- not a quality approach.
    Only the blind loyalty of 'Gibsonophiles' keeps them in business - think ('the Kings New Clothes' - look up the story)

    But why the heck did Paul go out and give Gibson more $$$$$ when they let him down so badly the first time. This is the "Gibson effect" in action. Don't forgive them, it reinforces their poor attitude that the customer is always at fault, and they will continue to charge vast amounts of money for substandard guitars.

    As I said, Appearance is actually listed in European Consumer Law as a reasonable defect to be covered under guarantees. Gibson are a law unto themselves and decide it isn't.

    One of the things that we find attractive, before we ever pickup a guitar to play, is the colour and finish. It is reasonable to expect the finish to last for an acceptable length of time before it deteriorates, say 5 years - not 5 months.
    If Gibson cannot nitro lacquer a guitar to a high enough standard to last a reasonable length of time before deteriorating they should UV Poly coat all their guitars except the Custom range, where people who pay between $5500 and $15000 will squeal with glee when their brand new guitar starts to look 20 years old.

    If I had wanted a 'Relic'ed' guitar - I would have bought one!!
    I think you are Bang on !! ..and now i see im not the only one who has had this happen so fast ...i betting its going to happen with the New Goldtop i brought just last week ..only time will tell

  21. #21

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by tokairic View Post
    Just so you know I am definitely not anti Gibson ....
    Yup - well this is what the 'market' has been screaming for/at Gibson for years - and be careful what you wish for. "Thinner thinner thinner thinner.... Nitro nitro nitro...." Most of the people screaming this stuff have heard or read pseudo-science that "thinner finishes" equal " more 'tone' " whatever that means. And there's some romantic throw-back advantage to a finish that has been improved upon 1000 times over the past 50 years. So now... combine razor-thin fluid finishes with less-than-ideal lumber (the kind of old-growth wood available in 1950s and earlier is long-gone) and you're going to get very unpredictable finishes. 6 months doesn't surprise me at all... not *at all*. I'm surprised you didn't notice changes much sooner in fact.

    Now a couple words of good news for you... 1) LIke others have mentioned, these cracky/finicky 'road worn' relic'd finishes are what everyone wants - so it's not going to reduce the value of your guitars at all IMO. Advertise them "beautiful natural relic'd patina..." or similar and you'll get hoards of buyers. 2) It's not that big a deal to re-spray the clear coats on these instruments. Since there isn't much finish on them to begin with, a good shop can mux all the cracking together with a combo of sanding/solvents and then re-spray more nitro... doing the mechanical buffing/etc. It'll cost you a cpl hundred bucks for each guitar but the results might be worth it to you to start over with no checking. Unfortunately - doing *that* might in fact reduce the resale value because you've altered the guitar. I don't know - the market is very fickle. The sad thing is that if there was not this ridiculous rush to outdated finishes, Gibson could use clear finishes that would never crack or check (unless you did the -20 degree thing) and would look as good as new 20 yrs from now. I'm talking about modern polyester and urethane finishes which, IMO do not impact "tone" of a solidbody guitar *one iota*. But try to sell that to the guitar-voodoo masses... good luck with that.

    JLS

  22. #22

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Easton View Post
    Have they cut down on the plasticizer?
    There is no "plasticizer" per se in nitro-cellulose lacquer, so.. no. Components like plasticizers are what you find in *modern* polyester and polyurethane (plastic) finishes. You can add components to nitro lacquer that will delay or accelerate drying...flatteners...hardeners....accelerators... retarders.... but nitrocellulose lacquer is the oldest and simplest of the class of finishes known as 'lacquers" dating back to the 1800s. It's essentially liquid celluloid and is similarly as unstable as early photographic film, celluloid inlays, pickguards, and etc. Honestly - for any reason except historic accuracy, I can't think of a *worse* finish to put on an electric guitar if you're looking for stability and durability.

    But because everyone has bought into the psuedo-science that somehow putting next to nothing on the wood will make the "tone" of the guitar better because the wood can "breathe" and other nonsense -- you're going to have very unpredictable, uncontrollable results.

    Also look at the rash of "orange peel" Gibson has been fighting the past couple of years. There's no way around that either unless you build up more finish so it can be correctly leveled and buffed out. But that's impossible with micro-thin nitro lacquer - there's almost nothing there - so you get orange peel, cracks, checks... etc.

  23. #23

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by moucon View Post
    There is no "plasticizer" per se in nitro-cellulose lacquer, so.. no. Components like plasticizers are what you find in *modern* polyester and polyurethane (plastic) finishes. You can add components to nitro lacquer that will delay or accelerate drying...flatteners...hardeners....accelerators... retarders.... but nitrocellulose lacquer is the oldest and simplest of the class of finishes known as 'lacquers" dating back to the 1800s. It's essentially liquid celluloid and is similarly as unstable as early photographic film, celluloid inlays, pickguards, and etc. Honestly - for any reason except historic accuracy, I can't think of a *worse* finish to put on an electric guitar if you're looking for stability and durability.

    But because everyone has bought into the psuedo-science that somehow putting next to nothing on the wood will make the "tone" of the guitar better because the wood can "breathe" and other nonsense -- you're going to have very unpredictable, uncontrollable results.

    Also look at the rash of "orange peel" Gibson has been fighting the past couple of years. There's no way around that either unless you build up more finish so it can be correctly leveled and buffed out. But that's impossible with micro-thin nitro lacquer - there's almost nothing there - so you get orange peel, cracks, checks... etc.
    Very good ponts made ..I Have to agree with everything you said ..on both replys.

  24. #24

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    There are some really good comments being made here by rational people regarding finishes. Gibson and the enthusiasts of 'traditional' finishes will soon have to confront 21st Century reality.
    Within the next couple of years (probably sooner) both nitrocellulose and spirit based polyester coatings will be illegal to use on any products, and the sale of such coatings will be forbidden. Thank the 'geen lobby' for that one. So Gibson won't be able to use nitro or even spirit polyester on their guitars.
    Forward looking US guitar companies have been preparing for this for a long time, not harking back to the past. Taylor are using micro thin UV poly on their guitars without any issue regarding tone, and without affecting the saleability, value or quality. The coating is hard, thin, moves with the wood on an acoustic top and is quicker to apply in a factory situation, therefore cheaper (once the equipment is bought). PRS have for a long time now publicised their hard and thin V2 finish (which I suspect is UV poly but i don't know for sure).

    Gibson must surely be developing a similar finish in preparation for the day nitro is outlawed (very soon). The 'traditionalists' will have to accept it, and no doubt Gibson is working on a marketing system to persuade them that this is in fact acceptable. But after years of insisting on nitro both Gibson and the traditionalists are going to find it hard to deal with.

    Just hope they don't fall into the trap of using water based finishes a in my opinion they are seriously inferior to the UV poly. I know the motor industry now use water basted but I have never seen it satisfactorily used on wood. Anyone know any different?

  25. #25
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    On the crooked shelf
    Posts
    466

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Even if there was a US wide ban on the applying of nitro finishes, Gibson would likely ship bodies to somewhere like Mexico to be sprayed and then shipped back again for assembly. Historic owners are not going to accept Polyurethane 59 reissues. Whether or not the USA production line would be affected- they would probably wait and see how the new finishes went down.

    Gibson and high price lawers would probably successfully be able to win a case for continuing to spray nitro under a 'Grandfather Clause'.
    Last edited by K701; 06-05-16 at 05:56 PM.

  26. #26

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by paul kossoff View Post
    well if or when it happens to this again ..i will have to buy yet another one ...making it 3 Goldtops
    I like your style PK!

  27. #27

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by K701 View Post
    Even if there was a US wide ban on the applying of nitro finishes, Gibson would likely ship bodies to somewhere like Mexico to be sprayed and then shipped back again for assembly. Historic owners are not going to accept Polyurethane 59 reissues. Whether or not the USA production line would be affected- they would probably wait and see how the new finishes went down.

    Gibson and high price lawers would probably successfully be able to win a case for continuing to spray nitro under a 'Grandfather Clause'.
    Just buy a used one! Problem solved!!!

  28. #28

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by tokairic View Post
    ... I found loads of cracks in the lacquer on the back of the headstocks on both my 2015 Les Pauls (Less Plus and Standard). There is also a large area of 'sinkage' following the grain, wider than the pickups and the full length of the body on the Less Plus. ...
    Got photos of the finish problems on your guitars? A lot of talk back & forth, but nobody knows what issues you're encountering or their severity. Maybe it's normal, maybe not.

  29. #29
    Les Paul Forum Member renderit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,467

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    I'm getting a lot of shrinkage and grain. I thought it was just the aging process...

  30. #30

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by paul kossoff View Post
    ... i think Gibson instead of changing the tuners ...weight releif ...push button boosters etc etc etc ..would be far better to keep the design of the guitar as is , but offer an alternative finish like Polyester ...
    Offering more than one finish type in a single production environment is an enormous PITA for a manufacturer. You need completely separate equipment for each. And since the curing time is different, some finishes would require the guitars go right to the next step, while others wait. Etc, etc.

    Polyester can be good; I've got a 21 year old Taylor which sounds great (with a 6-mil UV cured polyester finish), but some models now have a 3.5-mil finish. Those guitars do sound noticeably richer, immediately.

  31. #31
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Not cracks....avert your eyes


  32. #32
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    831

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    You called one time. Try a second call. Don't tell them you called before. Have pics ready if they request. This may take a little persistence. Try a third call. Try just email with pics. You gotta figure that they deal with petty complaints from obsessives which ruin your chances of getting help with a legitimate finish issue.

    Try not to let this deter you from playing it now. I know that aint easy to do. You may get this resolved. Ya never know.

  33. #33
    Les Paul Forum Member Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by tokairic View Post
    Appearance is actually listed in European Consumer Law as a reasonable defect to be covered under guarantees. Gibson are a law unto themselves and decide it isn't.
    Is the OP in Europe???
    I have the "show signatures" box unchecked.

  34. #34
    Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    Not cracks....avert your eyes

    Beautiful!
    Otherwise known as Grant.

  35. #35

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by K701 View Post
    Even if there was a US wide ban on the applying of nitro finishes, Gibson would likely ship bodies to somewhere like Mexico to be sprayed and then shipped back again for assembly. Historic owners are not going to accept Polyurethane 59 reissues. Whether or not the USA production line would be affected- they would probably wait and see how the new finishes went down.

    Gibson and high price lawers would probably successfully be able to win a case for continuing to spray nitro under a 'Grandfather Clause'.
    Gibson have tried that sort of thing before - hence the raid by the Feds over alleged illegal wood supplies . I'm not sure they would risk that happening again.......and as for the high priced lawyers, how much did it cost Gibson to lose against PRS over the single cut guitars? Only the lawyers won that time, they would be laughing all the way to the bank - whether they won the case or not.

  36. #36

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    Not cracks....avert your eyes

    I have seen this before -I think it was porous nitro finish allowing sweat to corrode the copper in the gold paint. How old is the guitar? If the case belongs to the guitar I would guess its pretty old. The ageing would possibly be acceptable in that case. but the cracking issue is in just a few short months.

  37. #37
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    On the crooked shelf
    Posts
    466

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by tokairic View Post
    Gibson have tried that sort of thing before - hence the raid by the Feds over alleged illegal wood supplies . I'm not sure they would risk that happening again.......and as for the high priced lawyers, how much did it cost Gibson to lose against PRS over the single cut guitars? Only the lawyers won that time, they would be laughing all the way to the bank - whether they won the case or not.
    What sort of thing? What has having guitars sprayed in a different country got to do with previous alleged illegal wood supplies?

    And what has a copyright lawsuit with PRS got to do grandfather clauses and air regulations?

    So by your rationale all Gibson lawsuits are one and the same and they will never win any because they once lost to PRS?

  38. #38
    Les Paul Forum Member J T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,885

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by tokairic View Post
    The photo of the Goldtop is Exactly my problem. Glad I'm not the only one, I suspect there are many more out there, thinking theirs is the only one and they've just had 'bad luck' with this one. .

    Why is this a problem OR bad luck? LOTS of people actually try to do that with more or less successful attempts by freezing/heating/razoring/paying lots o'bucks, etc. Like the esteemed Big AL suggests, Just sit back and enjoy it. You are getting it for free.
    The farther you go, the closer you are.

  39. #39
    Les Paul Forum Member J T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    9,885

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by paul kossoff View Post
    ...but offer an alternative finish like Polyester ..for people who "DONT" like there guitars checking but prefer them to remain looking New for many many years.

    ewww really? You mean kind of like that three inch layer of goop what they pour all over tables and bars?



    gosh
    The farther you go, the closer you are.

  40. #40
    Les Paul Forum Member Tarcisioo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    330

    Re: Lacquer cracking on Les Pauls

    Why are you saying that checking is a sign of age? With a proper cured nitro, 1 day is enough to achieve finish checking! A guitar doesn't need to be 10 years old to check, only one night!


    Other thing: for what I know, the thinner the nitro is, less it will check. That's why goldtops checking is more pronounced than bursts. Goldtops have a much thicker finish

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!






i