• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is This A Counterfeit 335?

Steve Redrobe

It's a long time since my last post, I'm sorry, but I've been rather pre-occupied with the violin of late.

My neighbour has just purchased - for a ridiculously low price - a guitar that claims to be a Gibson 335, however the serial number and quality of wood makes me suspect its provenance.

I would be very grateful if someone who knows about such things would kindly take a look at these photographs for me:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Best regards,

Stephen.

Steve Redrobe

I've just taken a look under the truss-rod cover and found no truss-rod nut - just a hole where one should be:

6.jpg

7.jpg

Cody

Yes, it's fake; likely chinese. In addition to your observations, the body shape is off, the Gibson logo tilts weirdly, and both it as well as the crown inlay are off-center, the bridge studs are slotted etc.

Kris Ford

Bummer..
Definitely a Chinese fake!

(I love the color of the inlays though!:couch)

J T

Chibson

and they forgot to put in a truss rod? :rolleyes

Last edited:

marshall1987

Looks like it came from the factory with the upgraded ebony fingerboard. Or it could be dyed that black color. Did it come with a case or the standard factory gig bag? :fc