• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Dark Fire 2009, good deal?

Pixie

Hi,

I have a chance to trace my Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster Custom Shop (from '00)
for a Gibson Dark Fire 2009 limited edition. I don't know too much about the Dark Fire, could be a good deal? Could be a good investment increasing its value? How good is manufacture quality? Could be compared to a Studio, Standard, Traditional, Classic, or Custom Shop?

Please all your comments r welcome.

Thundersteel

They didn't sell very well, because it had "features" most people didn't want. I know someone who has a "Dusk Tiger." He's been trying to sell it for a long time. Even at a rock-bottom price, no one wants it.

The same goes for the Dark Fire. If it was me, I'd stay away.

GotTheSilver

Seriously, stay away from the Dark Fire. Your Strat will never be obsolete. The Dark Fire already is. If you have any problems with the technology in the DF, good luck getting it fixed! Ask yourself why the owner wants to get rid of it.

Pixie

Thanks for your comments! I will stay away... but what a shame, it is so beautiful!

DanD

The person trying to trade you is not your friend! :dang

Beware the Dog Fart... :##

DMartini

wow, the Dark Fire, havent heard of them in some time, for good reason i suppose :hee

does anyone know who/what kind of players own the Robot/Dark Fire/Dusk Tiger/Firebird X? serious question there.

i remember back in 09 the DF was $6000 NZD the same price as a non historic LPC i was looking at :hmm

OP - that CS Fender 56 RI sounds nice... pics?

GotTheSilver

wow, the Dark Fire, havent heard of them in some time, for good reason i suppose :hee

does anyone know who/what kind of players own the Robot/Dark Fire/Dusk Tiger/Firebird X? serious question there.

i remember back in 09 the DF was $6000 NZD the same price as a non historic LPC i was looking at :hmm

The only thing I can figure is that some collectors out there buy these things thinking there is a chance that down the road they will be viewed as an interesting or important piece of Gibson history and will be worth something for that. I mean, imagine if you bought one of the first run of Flying Vs back in 1958 for this reason. That would have really paid off. The thing is, though, as yet, none of the guitars you listed have resulted in anything that has changed the course of guitar history, and thus will likely never really be worth very much.

DanD

I think the aspirations of these Gibson models was to make home recording easier as they came with software and interfaces. However, for the price you can buy better standalone software interfaces for much less and accomplish the same thing.

Personally I'd rather have the recording electronics outboard of the guitar. A like new used LP Futura can be had for less than 1k and they incorporate the same pickup configuration (sans the piezo) and the newer version of Min E tune.

Cost wise even adding a Fishman or similar to the Futura and buying the recording interface and software I'd have less than $1500 in whole set up.

I've seen Dark Fires sell on ebay for $1500 and $1600 in excellent condition. I'm guessing your '56 is worth considerably more.

If the head stock logo and carbon fret markers really float your boat I'd consider selling the '56 outright and picking up an American Standard or American Special Strat and a Dark Fire with the proceeds. I'm pretty sure you could sell the '56 outright and get there cash wise.

Personally I'd prefer the more traditional LP style of the Futura and would rather have my recording gear outboard but that's just my preference.

Happy Hunting! :peace2

Pixie

I think the aspirations of these Gibson models was to make home recording easier as they came with software and interfaces. However, for the price you can buy better standalone software interfaces for much less and accomplish the same thing.

Personally I'd rather have the recording electronics outboard of the guitar. A like new used LP Futura can be had for less than 1k and they incorporate the same pickup configuration (sans the piezo) and the newer version of Min E tune.

Cost wise even adding a Fishman or similar to the Futura and buying the recording interface and software I'd have less than $1500 in whole set up.

I've seen Dark Fires sell on ebay for $1500 and $1600 in excellent condition. I'm guessing your '56 is worth considerably more.

If the head stock logo and carbon fret markers really float your boat I'd consider selling the '56 outright and picking up an American Standard or American Special Strat and a Dark Fire with the proceeds. I'm pretty sure you could sell the '56 outright and get there cash wise.

Personally I'd prefer the more traditional LP style of the Futura and would rather have my recording gear outboard but that's just my preference.

Happy Hunting! :peace2

I fully agree, thanks for all your comments. I forgot to mention the guy was adding $500, but even with that it was a really bad deal. I was really close to be charmed by the goog looking Dark Fire with all its fancy features, but you have opened my eyes just in time!!

Pixie

OP - Here the pics of this babe:
ex3ocUh.jpg

jDzF7FR.jpg

VRpGf4q.jpg

rRAzDAk.jpg

fPtvGsW.jpg

3i6ille.jpg

lhRldrP.jpg

1tWdaiT.jpg

DanD

Plus $500? :hmm

If the Dark Star is more your cup of tea and in excellent condition with all the special Dark Star trimmings included you wouldn't be doing too bad. Only one proviso, be damn sure you really like/want the Dark Star before you do the deal.

I'd venture a guess that selling the Dark Star won't be an easy or profitable task. :peace2

DMartini

GotTheSilver - agreed yeah, i kind of get the 'idea' of them if you have a home studio, but then all the modern add ons and what not for DIY computer recording has already made them redundant, Gibson were a little to late to the party with the Robots & Dusk Tigers etc.

Pixie - :dude: looks magic! is that OTM or Sherwood? either way, keep that Strat!

Pixie

GotTheSilver - agreed yeah, i kind of get the 'idea' of them if you have a home studio, but then all the modern add ons and what not for DIY computer recording has already made them redundant, Gibson were a little to late to the party with the Robots & Dusk Tigers etc.

Pixie - :dude: looks magic! is that OTM or Sherwood? either way, keep that Strat!

Thanks dMartini! I will keep it (unless there is any trade for an R7 :teeth ). The color is a Custom Metallic Green, that in my point of view is something in between Sherwood green and Surf green, metallic though... really beautiful and it change depending on how the light reflects on its body.

Dmill

Im going to go out on a limb and say after 4 years you probably made your decision lol I love my dark fire. It feels great, plays amazing but the electronic parts and really annoying. I'm the orginal owner of mine and after 10 years I'm finally going to replace all the robotics parts for good ol' analog. The best looking and best playing guitar I've ever played though that's for sure.

PS: mine is number 0170