The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

60's Les Paul Custom

I work in the IT field and my boss, the C.T.O claims to have a 1964 Les Paul Custom. He picked it up in 1984 from a music store in Germany.
    He says that a few years ago he had it value appraised from Gibson, so in his mind its confirmed a 1964 Les Paul Custom.
    However I've been doing some reading as I was trying to get a general idea of current value and I've run across some forums that suggest there were no Les Pauls made between 1962 and 1968 making it impossible for this to be a 1964 Les Paul. I don't know that much about Gibsons as I've mainly been a Fender guy. I owned a Les Paul traditional a few years ago that I did not keep and now a 2013 R7 that I can't see ever parting with.
    So just wondering if someone can confirm that this is fact that there were no Les Pauls made between 62 and 68 and if they can point me to a link with some credible evidence of this so that I could show my boss that he has the date wrong.
    If so, it could be an earlier model 1960 (would be even better but not likely) or a newer model (1969 or newer)

Re: 60's Les Paul Custom

Quote Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
    I work in the IT field and my boss, the C.T.O claims to have a 1964 Les Paul Custom. He picked it up in 1984 from a music store in Germany.
    He says that a few years ago he had it value appraised from Gibson, so in his mind its confirmed a 1964 Les Paul Custom.
    However I've been doing some reading as I was trying to get a general idea of current value and I've run across some forums that suggest there were no Les Pauls made between 1962 and 1968 making it impossible for this to be a 1964 Les Paul. I don't know that much about Gibsons as I've mainly been a Fender guy. I owned a Les Paul traditional a few years ago that I did not keep and now a 2013 R7 that I can't see ever parting with.
    So just wondering if someone can confirm that this is fact that there were no Les Pauls made between 62 and 68 and if they can point me to a link with some credible evidence of this so that I could show my boss that he has the date wrong.
    If so, it could be an earlier model 1960 (would be even better but not likely) or a newer model (1969 or newer)
    First year SGs were technically called Les Pauls, so it's possible that the guitar could be a white Les Paul/SG Custom. They dropped the Les Paul name in 1963, but I suppose it's possible that a few Customs carried over the Les Paul appointments into 1964. These would be the Truss Rod Cover and plastic plate above the rhythm pickup, that both sport the cursive Les Paul logo.

As far as I know, there were no single-cutaway Les Paul Customs made in 1964. I've seen up to 1961 possibly 1962 but they didn't return with the traditional body shape until 1968. A 1968 LP Custom will be easily distinguishable from a late 50's/1960, we just need to see some pictures.
    2005 LP R8
    2005 ES335
    2004 Flying V
    1979 Stratocaster
    1963 SG Standard
    1960 LP Jr. DC

2005 Marshall 1974x
    2003 Vox AC30/6TB
    1966 Fender Bassman

Quote Originally Posted by KingsleyMac View Post
    First year SGs were technically called Les Pauls, so it's possible that the guitar could be a white Les Paul/SG Custom. They dropped the Les Paul name in 1963, but I suppose it's possible that a few Customs carried over the Les Paul appointments into 1964. These would be the Truss Rod Cover and plastic plate above the rhythm pickup, that both sport the cursive Les Paul logo.

As far as I know, there were no single-cutaway Les Paul Customs made in 1964. I've seen up to 1961 possibly 1962 but they didn't return with the traditional body shape until 1968. A 1968 LP Custom will be easily distinguishable from a late 50's/1960, we just need to see some pictures.

I've seen the guitar. Its a cherry burst les paul, shaped in the traditional les paul body. Not an SG. He actually told me it was dated as July 63 and holds fast that Gibson confirmed it.
    I'm not over to his house often but he's planning a company, barbecue for the guys in IT so I'll get pics when I'm over for that.
    He said that Gibson requested numbers from 3 different places on the guitar. Back of the headstock, and 2 other places can't remember where he said.

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Ummm...no.

Les Paul Forum Member moonweasel's Avatar

Let's see some pics. We will be happy to help. Maybe its a Sunburst from the 50's Would pay for a house if it was.

Try to get a picture of the "Gibson" headstock logo, an overall pic, and one of the serial number.

Les Paul Forum Member

With stories like these its not uncommon that the owner missed about 10 years.

Its probably a nice 1974.

Les Paul Forum Member

As far as i know there were no Sunburst Customs before the 70's.

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

Quote Originally Posted by Mats A View Post
    As far as i know there were no Sunburst Customs before the 70's.
    First burst Customs appeared in early 1971 exactly.
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

2014 Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 Custom Shop
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Les Paul Forum Member

Could it be a special order custom (maybe via a high volume dealer or celebrity etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    Ummm...no.

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by c_wester View Post
    With stories like these its not uncommon that the owner missed about 10 years.

Its probably a nice 1974.
    This, times a ZILLION!

I had an interesting "conversation" with this guy that swore he bought a SG before deploying to Vietnam in 1968, swore it up and down..insulted me, yada yada..

It was a 1971 SG Standard..
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

I have seen one oddball les paul custom that came from a gibson employee that was supposedly pre-1968. Unfortunately it met a sad demise, falling out of a trailer and being run over.

Les Paul Forum Member

This info is easy enough to Google .In between 1962 -1968 No Gibson Guitars including SG's with the name of Les Paul on the headstock or the truss rod cover because the endorsement deal between Gibson and Les Paul expired at the end of 1961 and was not renewed by the two parties until 1968 .So any guitar claiming to say other wise is a forgery IMHO .

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    This info is easy enough to Google .In between 1962 -1968 No Gibson Guitars including SG's with the name of Les Paul on the headstock or the truss rod cover because the endorsement deal between Gibson and Les Paul expired at the end of 1961 and was not renewed by the two parties until 1968 .So any guitar claiming to say other wise is a forgery IMHO .
    ..except that there are known legit '63s...
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Ford View Post
    ..except that there are known legit '63s...
    So those would be factory leftovers that did not ship prior to the termination of the endorsement deal ?

Les Paul Forum Member

When did Gibson start using the 3 piece maple tops on 68 and onward Les Paul Customs ?