• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NVGD: '68 Gibson SG Standard

Andyoz

Are the fretboard inlays on these vintage SG's mother of pearl?

I know the headstock logo is but the inlays on this one really jump off the fretboard and I can't see how they could get that 3d effect with acrylic (my 2014 R9 inlays look really 'flat' in comparison)?
I get references to both mother-of-pearl and acrylic when I search on the web for info about the inlays of 60's SG?

Also, the fretboard rosewood looks very rich on this one. Surely they didn't let a Brazilian slip through as I understand they only fully stopped the Brazilians in 1970. I guess I'll never know. Either way the rosewood and inlays make a stunning combination.

SG%20Inlays.jpg

Last edited:

Progrocker111

Inlays arent mother-of-pearl on SG Standards (only on Customs) and rosewood is Indian since 1965. Nice fretboard :)

Reno_1ted

The fretboard on this is IRW, I believe it's 1/4 sawn which is a big reason why it looks so good. It's an amazing board, tons of character and rich blends of tone.

There have been some BRW boards post 66 but not many. A mate recently had a 68 LP that had one.

Andyoz

Thanks for that. Strange how my R9 inlays aren't a patch on these. Not even close.

Kris Ford

PS Kris to enter a 68 SG thread feeling all angry in 5,4,3,2..... :spabout:hee

Its ok Kris, one of the few genuine posts. :salude

Hah, you guys know me too well.:spabout
Admittedly, I do open these threads with a bit of skepticism, (and rightly so, given the climate of this era:dang) but at first glance I knew this to be the real deal.
Nicely done, Andyoz.:salude