• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to remove VOS finish

Sethp90

Always? Really? Just how many one piece plaintops are you always liking? I know about Stirngs Jrs figured one piece top Deluxe and one flamed out R9.

I do like flowing grain on the figure challenged maple.
Strings?

renderit

Read more carefully, “rouge” is what he wrote a*#clown

Looks like I gots a new admirer.

I guess you don't know about "editors" so you can go back and fix it later?

Look at the editor line at the end of said quote...

Kinda judgy there with the a*#clown?

Besides, I believe you meant ASSHAT if you thought me ignorant or wished to use said term in a nasty fashion.

As nouns the difference between assclown and asshat
is that assclown is (slang|vulgar) a jerk; a buffoon; a person who is inept or ill-behaved to the point of being found laughable by others while asshat is (pejorative|slang|vulgar) an obnoxiously ignorant person; a fool.

Waiting on apology...

Of course if you are a man you will stand by your post.

And we will go to war...

And you are also right, but I will never admit it until my following salvos are met with equal power

Then I will run away, crying like a little girl.

⬇︎ Notice the editor here as I edited it to not scare you away, but to engage in thoughtful
⬇︎ but pointed conversation.

Last edited:

Minibucker

Discussed in other threads as well, but when I had a couple of VOS-finished guitars, I couldn't get them NOT to be sticky after just a little playing. I tried virtuoso cleaner, naptha, lots of scrubbing, even some light standing on the back of the neck on one R8. It got to a point where I resigned to the idea that something in my skin chemistry just didn't jive with something in the VOS...this is from two R8's and a Rusty Anderson ES-335. Especially when gigging, they became just unenjoyable to play because of how tacky the necks got for me, and then there'd be a buildup of crud. Since then I've only bought gloss-finished Gibsons...and I put aged hardware on and let the finish naturally wear because I like that look anyway. But the gloss ones never get sticky for me like the VOS ones did. It's too bad because I could have had a wider pick of Historic guitars over the years, but I'm at least glad that I know what will work for me.

Jamie

I had a 35th Anniversary Black Beauty I got back in 1989 and had to sell years later. I have never forgotten the amazing Grand Piano like finish and beleive that finish was one of it's selling points. I was just recently very excited to see that Gibson VOS have issues avail of the 57 BB again and so quickly ordered one and put a $1000 on it as a down payment. Well, when I got to have a look at the guitar, and the guitar was amazing in almost every other way, I was shocked to see all this crap on a very dull surface!! :dang

I had no idea that the VOS shop did that.. I mean to me .. why would we pay thousands of dollars to have a crappy finish?? I'm sure the finish didn't look like that when it came out in 1957 right? Let me put my own wear on it please and thank you! It's like buying jeans with the holes pre made.. There's absolutely no value in that barring perhaps two reasons: 1. You hang it on a wall and never play it. 2. You obsess over perfect finishes like me and so now have that stress removed and only need to worry about dings etc. lol.

But seriously Gibson what are you trying to pull here? I don't see any evidence as one post wrote that the VOS guitars are cheaper, in fact they seem much more expensive and so we're paying more for something you spent less time on??

I have a sad feeling seeing such a beautiful guitar (one of the best ever made) under represented with this gimmicky treatment.

I am encouraged by the fact that there seems to be some way of getting rid of this effect and getting a nice gloss again.

The question is what kind of gloss can I hope to achieve? Is it possible to get that superior high gloss type of referred to having on my 35th Anniversary ?

Thx!

J

Last edited:

Jamie

If you just want to clean the guitar, you can use a given product, or you could just use some naphtha (lighter fluid) and plenty of paper towels. Naphtha cuts crud very well and is probably cheaper than anything else. If you really want to gloss the guitar up, use whatever polishing compound (not a wax polish, but a polishing compound) you like.

This is great info! I feel like I need to take a woodworking course before even attempting some of that stuff. If I just want to get the gunk off it sounds like I have lots of options, but to get a high gloss would the polishing be sufficient or do I need to get some find sanding paper?

Interesting note: I once put my cherry 69 replica SG in its case in my (cool) basement and put in my car then left in my car for a few hours downtown while in my office. It was hot outside and the cool air from my basement condensed and to my horror the nitro bubbled up on my neck !! The guy at my guitar shop was able to use that micro sand paper to take that layer off and restore the neck .. they put so much nitro on thankfully there room to do that kind of thng.. Lessons learn't right..? Hopefully the new VOS guitars are the same.

I'm hoping under all that haze there is still a good amount of nitro there.. I certainly paid enough money ..it better be there! lol but my point is then we should be able to get the gloss we want right?

(After rubbing it with Dunlop 65 for a quick 20 sec..)
attachment.php

J