• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

dearmond goldtone humbuckers

frenchphil

hi guys! just wanted to share this, i bought a dearmond m75 guitar, fitted with stock pickups which are dearmond goldtone

i ve only had the guitar for 2 days, but thos pups are excellent!! a lot of spank and chime, clarity,

they sound vintage, it's incredible; it's a cheap guitar, 1999 model, but the quality is amazing

any thoughts ont these pups? i recommend them highly, i dont know what true PAF tone can be, but these could be close, try them and let me know

here is a link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-DeAr...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

jimmymack

I use them. Once I found them, (bought a DeArmond Jetstar guitar with these p/ups as stock) I bought a few extra pairs at MF when they were blowing them out about 12 years ago.

Great p/ups, especially in neck positions. No mud! Powerful yet sweet. I'm pretty sure they have A5 magnets.

frenchphil

thanks for the info jimmy!! i dont know what magnet they have, i cant find any information on these pickups

i think they are discontinued and so is the dearmond guitar production

2 things i'd like to try though:

swap the pickup in the m75, for some classic 57 or sd, just to see how the guitar can behave with gibson flavoured HB

and also try those goldtone humbuckers in a another guitar, maybe a dorker one like a custom

anyone has tried that?

frenchphil

i agree with you jimmy for the neck position, no mud, very natural sounding

i'm sure they would benefit on a gibson standard

jimmymack

I put one in my Epiphone "Lucille". The stock Epi p/ups were nice sounding, but did not have enough push, esp. in a band setting. So I put in a pair of Gibson Classic 57's that I had. An improvement for sure. But the neck position p/up was still a bit dark / or muddy in the bass strings, even tho it was an uncovered p/up.

I put in the DA GoldTone, and, there it was....tone and clarity. Fullness and sweetness. It's still in there, years later, and so is the 57+ in the bridge spot.

frenchphil

thanks for the input jimmy. yes definitively the dearmond in the neck is excellent

if i have to change one , it would be the bridge, but i just got the guitar back from my luthier (he put some new tulip grovers on) and he lowered the bridge pup, even lower on the top strings and now it sounds better, smoother

so i wonder .... to me the dearmond m75 sounds like a bright guitar ,though made of mahogany, the bridge and tailpiece give it a lot of "zing " kind of resonance

would you say the 57 classic can darken a bright guitar? or is it a bright pickup?

KilgoreTrout

Sorry to revive an old thread but I got this pictured DeArmond Gold Tone humbucker at a garage sale for 5 bucks. It looks like it is a bridge pickup. I have a cheaper Gretsch semi-hollow body and an Agile LP clone, both of which I am planning on putting "good" pickups in someday. I don't think this will be a permanent swap... but I was looking for opinions on whether this pickup would sound better in a Gretsch or an LP. I think swapping pickups in the Gretsch is probably tougher so I guess I need to take that into consideration.

Anyone got thoughts/opinions? IMG_20200808_161126.jpgIMG_20200808_161108.jpg

frenchphil

Sorry to revive an old thread but I got this pictured DeArmond Gold Tone humbucker at a garage sale for 5 bucks. It looks like it is a bridge pickup. I have a cheaper Gretsch semi-hollow body and an Agile LP clone, both of which I am planning on putting "good" pickups in someday. I don't think this will be a permanent swap... but I was looking for opinions on whether this pickup would sound better in a Gretsch or an LP. I think swapping pickups in the Gretsch is probably tougher so I guess I need to take that into consideration.

Anyone got thoughts/opinions? View attachment 11837View attachment 11838

this is the pickup i had in my dearmond.....i sold them for more than 5 bucks believe....they went very fast..i think like 2 days after i put the ad....

anyway that s not your point here

i really cant tell you where this would sound best....i d go for the agile and in the neck position because these pups have clarity and sometimes it s quitte needed