• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gustavsson coming my way!

57gold

Not aged. Not a fan of beat new stuff. Has a faded finish, which I guess implies age.

Have several vintage instruments, went out of my way to find clean and unfaded examples.

I'm confident in my abilities to play the crap out of an instrument and custom age it.

No new photos. Looks the same.

Anything you want to see?

KOTR

No new photos. Looks the same.

Anything you want to see?

Nothing in particular. Just looking for something to stare at while I wait for my new Bluesmaster to arrive tomorrow :peace2

rockabilly69

In my opinion, yes.
As I have stated before, if either of mine were my only guitar, I would be completely happy.
They don't kill Bursts; they happily live together.
But I could be happy with just my JGs. :salude

I HATE the term BURST KILLER - how could any guitar improve on the sound (Duane Allman, Mick Taylor, Early Billy Gibbons, Mike Bloomfield, Early Clapton etc), when it is the sound of the burst (and the look to some) that attracted most of us enthusiasts to begin with. Can these guitars improve what we heard in our head, I doubt it.

Those JG guitars look fantastic, play fantastic, and sound just as good as the look, but calling them a Burst killer is just plain ridiculous, they're just another great guitar.

57gold

they're just another great guitar.

Agree on the silliness of the "burst killer" description.

Believe that JG's work results in more than "just another great guitar".

To me, they are possibly the best electric guitars being made today and are every bit a good as the best vintage instruments from the golden years, 1952 to 1965, by either Gibson or Fender, whilst not being copies or replicas of any particular model.

What I also find attractive about them is their classic aesthetics, they look like they could have been designed and built during the golden age.

rockabilly69

Agree on the silliness of the "burst killer" description.

Believe that JG's work results in more than "just another great guitar".

To me, they are possibly the best electric guitars being made today and are every bit a good as the best vintage instruments from the golden years, 1952 to 1965, by either Gibson or Fender, whilst not being copies or replicas of any particular model.

What I also find attractive about them is their classic aesthetics, they look like they could have been designed and built during the golden age.

For sure, but then there's, Gil Yaron, Tom Bartlett, that both offer replicas, and their variations on classic tone with Yaron's "Bone" and Bartlett's "Retrospec" and a few other guys that you could arguably say the same about. I personally feel we are in the middle of another golden age of electric guitar building and when I say "another great guitar" this is the camp I'm putting the JG's into. To get into these guitars you've got to have the coin but nothing that great comes cheap.

QuirkyBurst

this rolled in today. one of two futuremaster IIs.
13235405_10209403174746165_2691079739554185912_o.jpg

That grain is just SICK!! :3zone:3zone

57gold

KOTR - Hope you'll post a couple of iPhone shots when your BM arrives along with some facts - new, used, pick ups...any outstanding features.

Rockabilly - Own a Retrospec that is a very nice guitar, documented build on LPF and TGP, and JG's have something more going on in terms of detail, finish and wood choice...they are also more expensive, but IMHO, you get something pretty magical for the extra freight. Retrospecs to me are badass LP style instruments and JGs are something different and unique. Agree with you, it's a great time to play guitar with so many dedicated luthiers, amp builders, pick up winders... pushing the curve forward.

rockabilly69

KOTR - Hope you'll post a couple of iPhone shots when your BM arrives along with some facts - new, used, pick ups...any outstanding features.

Rockabilly - Own a Retrospec that is a very nice guitar, documented build on LPF and TGP, and JG's have something more going on in terms of detail, finish and wood choice...they are also more expensive, but IMHO, you get something pretty magical for the extra freight. Retrospecs to me are badass LP style instruments and JGs are something different and unique. Agree with you, it's a great time to play guitar with so many dedicated luthiers, amp builders, pick up winders... pushing the curve forward.

Well I just checked out your Retrospec, and damn, that is a beauty. I feel that design looks like a new classic, and it looks very ergonomic to play. The brown back on yours is the color that I love! I'd like to get both a JG and a Bartlett in my hands to see what I prefer and a Yaron. I have a lot of mid level guitars that I could easily sell to purchase one of of these high models, but unfortunately no one that I know close by has one, and trusting a builder with that much of purchase, well hell I'd really have a hard time with that. But the idea that we live in a Renaissance era of guitar building makes me want to jump on one of these while the good woods are still available. I almost bought a vintage goldtop ('52) a while back but I was too late to jump. But I'd still like to sell a few guitars to get one great one. The older I get, the less clutter I can live with.
The thing is I have 2 great historics, so I don't really have to sell anything until the perfect guitar finds it's way to me.

57gold

The older I get, the less clutter I can live with.

I hear you. Have sold a 1956 Tele and a 1964 Firebird V and would sell a couple more vintage guitars that I own. For what I like to play and the opportunities that I have to do so, I could be very happy with just the JG Bluesmaster and Astrocaster to cover all electric needs. They are extremely musical, play better than anything else I have owned or played and are just beautiful works of art.

Glad that my wife doesn't sign in here as she has thought I have had a loose screw when it comes to guitars for a couple of decades.

KOTR - Waiting on a couple of photos. Posted those outdoor shots of the Bluesmaster 24 hours after receiving it from Cliff!

KOTR

I KOTR - Waiting on a couple of photos. Posted those outdoor shots of the Bluesmaster 24 hours after receiving it from Cliff!

Sorry. Been super busy with some family stuff.

It's a new '59 Bluesmaster Ltd. with an aged finish. I managed to take a few photos this morning. I'll try to get a NGD thread up soon. LOVING it so far :biggrin:

burstin'don

Does anyone know if the Dotmaster is more expensive than the BM59? Or are they the same price? Thanks Don