• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1987 American Standard Strat

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I got one the other day and was curious if anyone knows how early in 1987 production started in Corona?

Mine has a neck date of June 22, 1987 and in the neck pocket is a stamped date of June 23, 1987.
[and it has the E4 serial number]

Anybody know this? :hmm

Arch D. Bunker

Hi Tom - if you are still interested...:hee

There are a few known American Standards with 1986 neck and/or body dates, which were likely put together for the January '87 NAMM show. These usually have a E3 (new old stock) serial number, which Fender used up until these ran out around February 1987.

The earliest E4 numbered Strats go back to either January or February 1987. Would your guitar be somewhere around the 405,000s range?

Another thing with these - the serial numbers were during this era not used in strict chronological order. I own E437XXX with an October 6 neck date, whereas my E418XXX has an October 28 neck. I've also seen two 401,000s Strats with neck dates two months apart.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hi Tom - if you are still interested...:hee

There are a few known American Standards with 1986 neck and/or body dates, which were likely put together for the January '87 NAMM show. These usually have a E3 (new old stock) serial number, which Fender used up until these ran out around February 1987.

The earliest E4 numbered Strats go back to either January or February 1987. Would your guitar be somewhere around the 405,000s range?

Another thing with these - the serial numbers were during this era not used in strict chronological order. I own E437XXX with an October 6 neck date, whereas my E418XXX has an October 28 neck. I've also seen two 401,000s Strats with neck dates two months apart.

The one I mentioned was E410XXX and 8 months earlier I had E406XXX.
Both 1987's.