• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to tell the difference between a late 69 and early 70 Deluxe Les Paul

gearlovin

Hi Guy's,

This i really confusing. I'm trying to find info on that. Here is what I have for details so far, I can provide pics if we need more details.

Goldtop Deluxe Serial 9084XX
Pancake Body
No Volute
No Made in USA
Big Binding in the cutaway
Pots are dated 69
Big Headstock
Logo got no dot on the i and close B and O
Small 2 under serial number

Guitar is amazing, Best deluxe I've tried

Thanks a lot

Carl

Kris Ford

When in '69 for the pots? 137 69 ?? (last 2 numbers IF you can see them..)
Anything after say week 40 COULD have been sold in 1970..as a 70 model.

moonweasel

Hi Guy's,

This i really confusing. I'm trying to find info on that. Here is what I have for details so far, I can provide pics if we need more details.

Goldtop Deluxe Serial 9084XX
Pancake Body
No Volute
No Made in USA
Big Binding in the cutaway
Pots are dated 69
Big Headstock
Logo got no dot on the i and close B and O
Small 2 under serial number

Guitar is amazing, Best deluxe I've tried

Thanks a lot

Carl

When in '69 for the pots? 137 69 ?? (last 2 numbers IF you can see them..)
Anything after say week 40 COULD have been sold in 1970..as a 70 model.

No '69 guitars had the closed B and O logo. Definitively.

:dude:

Carl,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a great guitar!

Kris Ford

Closed "o" and "n" scream '70 to me....'70 has a pretty unique inlay, the "pantograph" one, which some sources state happens in '69, which it does not..
Like this one: (969XXX)
$_57.JPG

You are absolutely correct Moon, definitely NOT '69 with that inlay...:salude

WBailey

December '69 thru January '70 is a very gray area.

It is a '70, made in '69. Get it ? Cool guitar. Enjoy in good health. :salude

moonweasel

December '69 thru January '70 is a very gray area.

It is a '70, made in '69. Get it ? Cool guitar. Enjoy in good health. :salude

Nope.

We only know for certain that its POTS were made in 69.

Example: The first six months of 69 production had 68 pots.

moonweasel

You sure ? No volute ?:hmm

again; gray area

Good eye, I missed the no volute comment.

I have never seen a guitar with a serial number that late without a volute. All 69's had them beginning with a much earlier serial number. Would have to see a picture of the guitar to see if it has been sanded off, or (respectfully) if the OP is not 100% clear on what a volute is.

Still do not feel it is a grey area, but I love to be proved wrong. :dude:

WBailey

I have never seen a guitar with a serial number that late without a volute. All 69's had them beginning with a much earlier serial number. Would have to see a picture of the guitar to see if it has been sanded off, or (respectfully) if the OP is not 100% clear on what a volute is.

Kinda what I was thinkin, baby bump ? need pics, lol

interesting photo I found;

gibsonneckcrosssection.jpg

Kris Ford

That's not enough meat for me...:dang
Viva la Volute!:salude I have never minded them, NEVER KILLED MY TONE, grew up with them, and to me, seem right.
I bet Gibson had a HUGE thorn in their ass with broken headstocks..and I mean HUGE.
Like the kind that costs business...but reputation more so..
Can anyone blame them for incorporating an centuries old headstock reinforcement? At Gibson, with Venetian this, and Florentine that, the volute seemed natural.

For SGs, and maybe not across the board:
In '70, you can see any of the following:
No volute/no Made in USA stamp
No volute/Made in USA stamp
Volute/Made in USA stamp
And even volute/NO Made in USA...:hmm

Progrocker111

How Kris said, it was a transition time, your Deluxe is most probably very very early 70 one. :) Same wood and same electronics like earlier 69 pieces. Congrats.

And btw., does yours have nylon bridge saddles?

moonweasel

Thanks a lot guy's,

Here are some pictures I took.
Also wondering are the tuners supposed to be Kluson or Gibson... I have both in the case.
http://<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/gearlovin/embed/slideshow/Goldtop%20deluxe%2070"></iframe>

Hi Gearlovin!

Yes, I clearly see a volute. Also, the logo is decidedly a 1970 one. Kluson tuners will be the correct ones.

Please don't take the fact that it is a 1970 guitars as a bad thing, there are no construction differences from a very late 69 example at all. It's a killer guitar, that's the bottom line. Wish I had one!

MW

gearlovin

Thanks a lot for all the precious info.

WHat would be a fair price for this one, if I decide not keeping it?

moonweasel

Thanks a lot for all the precious info.

WHat would be a fair price for this one, if I decide not keeping it?

I don't comment on value personally, but you could look for similar guitars under completed items at Ebay to get an idea.

xtrunk

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, I realize it's a few years since the last post in this thread.

I have a GoldTop Deluxe that seems to straddle both the 69 and 70s specs. It has the 70s logo, but no "Made in the USA". Lately I have been determined to work out when it actually dates from, since my birthday is Sep 69, and it would be nice to think it is close to that. I bought it thinking it was a 1970.

Serial # is 920076

It also has POTS numbered like, for example CBA 81171158, which were used in the late 60s (as far as I can tell). So less helpful than those with specific dates.

So I guess this guitar must have come out around Christmas 69, plus or minus a month or two?

Does anyone know when the "Made in the USA" stamp actually started to be used during 1970. All I can discern is some time during 1970. I presume it can't be Jan 1. I bought it form a retired professional guitarist in Switzerland, even though I am in Australia, who spoke French mainly so there was some language barrier. He thought it was a 1970 Deluxe, BTW.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

DAVE

grazy

Not all '69's had a volute! I am original owner of '69 LP s/n 835575 - not pancake body, no volute...still have it after all these years!!

Progrocker111

Not all '69's had a volute! I am original owner of '69 LP s/n 835575 - not pancake body, no volute...still have it after all these years!!

Volute came on scene in very late 69, in 88xxxx serial number range