The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member Strings Jr.'s Avatar

The Ultimate Deluxe?

This is the guitar in my avatar. A 1977 one piece top Deluxe.
    Maple neck, rosewood board.
    Sounds as incredible as it looks!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Strings Jr.; 08-29-16 at 08:12 PM.

Re: The Ultimate Deluxe?

Nicest Norlin Deluxe I've ever seen!
    "In Heaven all the interesting people are missing."

great looking top

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Vey nice!!
    I love the grain, and am a sucker for natural finish!
    I see it has the solid Schaller tune-o-matci thumbwheels?
    Do you recall when they changed from a solid wheel to the one that had the bottom side hollowed out?
    from what research I've gathered, sees to have been around 1978, and you'd be the guy to ask!

I love the top on your Deluxe!! Looks like a topographical map!
    What tuners do you have?
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

Wow, such one-piece top in this era is extremely rare. Is it Kalamazoo made?

Cool one
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

1969 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Ford View Post
    Vey nice!!
    I love the grain, and am a sucker for natural finish!
    I see it has the solid Schaller tune-o-matci thumbwheels?
    Do you recall when they changed from a solid wheel to the one that had the bottom side hollowed out?
    from what research I've gathered, sees to have been around 1978, and you'd be the guy to ask!

I love the top on your Deluxe!! Looks like a topographical map!
    What tuners do you have?
    Thanks Kris. I do remember changing over to the hollowed out thumbwheels. I couldn't find any notes about it in my book, but I'm thinking it was more like early 80's. I remember we started a new model (possibly the Explorer 83??) and a lot of them had neck pitch issues. Couldn't get the action low enough. Instead of scrapping them, they ordered the new thumbwheels that would go down over the bridge bushings. In my opinion, they should have been scrapped, but they were desperate for sales/revenue so they shipped them. When I built my Deluxe, I drilled it for the chrome Schallers that were used on the LP Pro Deluxe and LP Custom with Chrome hardware. Mine has the little flip out crank handles also. When I get time, I have another story about this Deluxe and another very special factory "one-off" I know you'll enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker111 View Post
    Wow, such one-piece top in this era is extremely rare. Is it Kalamazoo made?

Cool one
    Very rare indeed. In all my years at Gibson, I saw just a handful of one piece tops. This is the only Deluxe I've ever seen. Made in Nashville.

Quote Originally Posted by Strings Jr. View Post
    Thanks Kris. I do remember changing over to the hollowed out thumbwheels. I couldn't find any notes about it in my book, but I'm thinking it was more like early 80's. I remember we started a new model (possibly the Explorer 83??) and a lot of them had neck pitch issues. Couldn't get the action low enough. Instead of scrapping them, they ordered the new thumbwheels that would go down over the bridge bushings. In my opinion, they should have been scrapped, but they were desperate for sales/revenue so they shipped them. When I built my Deluxe, I drilled it for the chrome Schallers that were used on the LP Pro Deluxe and LP Custom with Chrome hardware. Mine has the little flip out crank handles also. When I get time, I have another story about this Deluxe and another very special factory "one-off" I know you'll enjoy.
    More great info bud, thank you!
    Do you find that the solid ones are better tonally?
    I'm searching like HELL to find a set..All I can find are the hollowed out ones..
    I seem to remember a time that the Nashville bridge was considered a sturdy upgrade to the leaning, sagging, rattling, buzzy ABR-1, but was eschewed by the 50's crowd because it wasn't the exact thing that came on a '56-'60...(I still like both equally..and I even like the harmonica bridge!)
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Also, dying to hear those stories!!
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

That looks to have the post 80 short body and pre 80 dome carve. Can't quite tell as the angle of the shot is harder to determine the stop bolt/knob relationship. Was that body size adopted by Nashville early? I have seen late 70's Kalamazoo models which still feature the long body, but I have noticed several recently of post 77 Les Pauls with the later shorter body. Makes for some confusion as I remember the Standard 80's as the first with the shortened body and wider cutaway horn with deep dish carving. I always assumed it started then, but yours and some others I have seen are a mix of features I wasn't as aware of.

I had a 78 with the regular body shape and still have some old photo's. This is really confusing to me as I had always assumed my 78 was from Nashville, but had the older Kalamazoo shape. Is there a specific year for this changeover, and did they run different body shapers? The cutaway horn is also confusing for me as I don't remember them changing until well after the Heritage 80 series yet I have seen several photo's of much earlier models with the shallow cutaway.

If you can help an old man out with any light shed on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Now that Deluxe is just about the nicest I have ever seen! Way to go, building that bad boy! I LOVE MINIHUMBUCKERS!!!
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    That looks to have the post 80 short body and pre 80 dome carve. Can't quite tell as the angle of the shot is harder to determine the stop bolt/knob relationship. Was that body size adopted by Nashville early? I have seen late 70's Kalamazoo models which still feature the long body, but I have noticed several recently of post 77 Les Pauls with the later shorter body. Makes for some confusion as I remember the Standard 80's as the first with the shortened body and wider cutaway horn with deep dish carving. I always assumed it started then, but yours and some others I have seen are a mix of features I wasn't as aware of.

I had a 78 with the regular body shape and still have some old photo's. This is really confusing to me as I had always assumed my 78 was from Nashville, but had the older Kalamazoo shape. Is there a specific year for this changeover, and did they run different body shapers? The cutaway horn is also confusing for me as I don't remember them changing until well after the Heritage 80 series yet I have seen several photo's of much earlier models with the shallow cutaway.

If you can help an old man out with any light shed on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Now that Deluxe is just about the nicest I have ever seen! Way to go, building that bad boy! I LOVE MINIHUMBUCKERS!!!

Sorry Big Al, but I don't have any information on short body / long body, or cutaway features. I can tell you that mine does not have the deep dish top. I can also tell you that when I first saw my Deluxe, it was hanging on the wall in the Manufacturing Office. It was buffed and neck prepped, but had no hardware. I later learned that the guitars that were held in that office were usually for the Engineers to review some changing point. Did mine have a new feature that was being reviewed, or was it in there just because it had a one piece top? I don't know. I just know I'm very blessed to have been given the green light to buy it.

That is one killer looking LP

Guitars:
    2013 Gibson Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul (Aged)
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop 1960 Les Paul
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 1963 Reissue
    2015 Gibson Custom Shop ES 330 1959 Reissue
    2006 Fender Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster
    2014 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Stratocaster

Amp:
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb

That is one beautiful Deluxe right there,brother!! I'll trade you my '05 GT Deluxe for it

Ahh, one of the two guitars I learned to play on. The other looks a whole lot like it! Could be worth many, many thousands to a rich collector. But still wouldn't sell it unless I was broke, hungry, homeless, jobless, etc....

I am trying to find out some info and maybe a value on a guitar I purchased . I own a 1979 Les Paul Pro Deluxe guitar. It is all original. It hasn't been touched for over five years . I try to look online and compare but I cannot find a similar guitar

On the head stock it says Gibson Les Paul Pro Deluxe and the serial number is 7054962, it also has the gold knobs . And p90 pick ups . All original.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction. unfortunately I cannot post pics right now.

Similar to same year Standards and Deluxes.

I had forgotten about using these "no-lip" bridge bushings on my Deluxe.
    At first glance, gives the appearance of a vintage ABR, but keeps all the advantages of the Nashville TOM.

[IMG][/IMG]

I had forgotten about using these "no-lip" bridge bushings on my Deluxe.
    At first glance, gives the appearance of a vintage ABR, but keeps all the advantages of the Nashville TOM.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Those are slick Randy!

Have never seen those stock...was it a "hot rod" kinda thing?

PS...STILL grateful for those solid thumbwheels you sent me!
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member CoyotesGator's Avatar
    The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous

Wow!

Just spectacular!
    As I see it, I serve the beat. Groove is everything.

Big Al

Les Paul Forum Member

I have to join the masses on this one, easily one of the prettiest LP's I've laid eyes on. Thanks for posting.

That's really nice. Like super duper nice.

Les Paul Forum Member

I love that natural look!

This is what my girl looked like when I brought her home from the factory.
    Black P-90's, black speed knobs, black switch hardware, and a chrome TP-6.

I believe I prefer the more mellow / vintage look that she's developed into today.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

This is what my girl looked like when I brought her home from the factory.
    Black P-90's, black speed knobs, black switch hardware, and a chrome TP-6.

I believe I prefer the more mellow / vintage look that she's developed into today.

I think I prefer ... both!
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Wow!!! Great story and neat quirks.

Any comment on the mini-hum swap? So often I see people do the opposite.

There's a beautiful beat to hell '73 Goldtop Deluxe at a shop here in town. It's light, real light for the era, rings out nicely, and the gold top has been shattered to streaks of green all over with the wood showing through in some areas. I've been drooling over it for some time but they're asking a bit high on the price and I purchased a hell of a guitar ('74 Flying V, w/TP-6 too) a few weeks back on top of that. I've got 3 guitars for sale right now as I think about that gold top!

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    Wow!!! Great story and neat quirks.

Any comment on the mini-hum swap? So often I see people do the opposite.

There's a beautiful beat to hell '73 Goldtop Deluxe at a shop here in town. It's light, real light for the era, rings out nicely, and the gold top has been shattered to streaks of green all over with the wood showing through in some areas. I've been drooling over it for some time but they're asking a bit high on the price and I purchased a hell of a guitar ('74 Flying V, w/TP-6 too) a few weeks back on top of that. I've got 3 guitars for sale right now as I think about that gold top!
    Oh yeah, that's a story in itself. One day at the plant, I was having a casual conversation with one of the repair guys. I noticed he was working on an older guitar. A CSB Deluxe. When I asked him about it, he said it belonged to Charlie Daniels. He had brought it in for a new set of pickups. I asked what he was going to do with the old ones and he said "chunk 'em I suppose". So I took them and checked them out and they worked fine. After doing an epoxy job on them, I put them in my Deluxe. The P-90's were ok, with maybe a tad more punch, but as Big Al has mentioned many times, the tone from the mini-hums is so much more versatile, and sweeeet!! And with the epoxy, there is no unwanted feedback for rock-n-roll. I rarely take it out and actually play it these days, but after talking about it last night I had to go for it. Plugged her straight in to the '64 Super Reverb and OMG, there it is, that sound.

Les Paul Forum Member

Very cool!

Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar

Same -- particularly with the conventional stop tailpiece. But however it's kitted out, that top is just awesome.

You gotta be kidding, right? Deluxe into Super Reverb!!!! I have never heard a better combo with my early 70's goldtop Deluxe than my old '65 SR. I am biased towards Les Paul Deluxe's and Fender Blackface amplifiers with Super Reverbs tops in Reverb combos, IMO.

Great googley moogley that is a glorious racket! That axe was a stunner from day one, but it has improved with age. Someday soon people will realise how perfect the classic mini-hum pup really is. So sadly overlooked.

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Oh yeah, that's a story in itself. One day at the plant, I was having a casual conversation with one of the repair guys. I noticed he was working on an older guitar. A CSB Deluxe. When I asked him about it, he said it belonged to Charlie Daniels. He had brought it in for a new set of pickups. I asked what he was going to do with the old ones and he said "chunk 'em I suppose". So I took them and checked them out and they worked fine. After doing an epoxy job on them, I put them in my Deluxe. The P-90's were ok, with maybe a tad more punch, but as Big Al has mentioned many times, the tone from the mini-hums is so much more versatile, and sweeeet!! And with the epoxy, there is no unwanted feedback for rock-n-roll. I rarely take it out and actually play it these days, but after talking about it last night I had to go for it. Plugged her straight in to the '64 Super Reverb and OMG, there it is, that sound.

Sounds heavenly! Great story, layers of history on that guitar. Kudos on the SR, I've been in the hunt since they're really coming down on price as of late, scored my '67 JBL Twin for cheaper than a reissue this spring. Big amps not moving like they used to.
    Last edited by deytookerjaabs; 11-15-17 at 09:02 PM.