• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Your first ever electric guitar?

garywright

thanks WB ...the Kay is smaller than a lot of electrics but it's kinda disproportional ..the length of it is a hair over 36" ..with the scale length being around 25 3/4"

WBailey

thanks WB ...the Kay is smaller than a lot of electrics but it's kinda disproportional ..the length of it is a hair over 36" ..with the scale length being around 25 3/4"

I could grab a twelve pack, that little guy, and a pignose;

Build a fire on the riverbank, and play all night. :salude

garywright

I could grab a twelve pack, that little guy, and a pignose;

Build a fire on the riverbank, and play all night. :salude

true, you could ...but when something unexpected slithers up your pants leg ..you'll most likely be playing your own version of Black Snake Moan :worm

Dave P

Me with my Univox Gimme, 1981 I think?
dp1981.jpg

Uni1.jpg

jeffreylucky1

Mine was a Cort Effector (explorer copy with built in effects). It was white and had Mighty Mite pickups and a bolt on neck. It was new from either Sears or JC Penny circa 1982?
I also had a Gorilla amplifier with the tube stack switch and headphone jack.
I "upgraded" the guitar for a Quest Atak 5....lol.

These were both seriously strange guitars.
I kind of wish I still had then for some odd reason....

Jeff

Billy Porter

Mine was a black bolt-neck Columbus Les Paul copy bought from Bells Music catalogue in 73 on HP which I paid with postal orders from my paper round. The top was a carved sheet of plywood with a gap under the carve. I replaced the dummy humbuckers with Ibanez humbuckers.

I sold it in 85 to pay for a suit for a friend’s wedding. Wish I still had the Columbus:dang never sold a guitar since. Met the wife there though – still got her and been married 27 years tomorrow. Guess it was a good deal in the end :)

class5lp

Mine was not a non Gibson but it was a 84 Gibson black Flying V. Very interesting back story that turned out sad for me. I worked my balls off cutting lawns that summer to buy it. I loved and cherished it. After I had it 6 months I realized it was too difficult to play sitting down. I took it to The Guitar And Drum Center in St. Clair Shores Michigan, Les Leech Proprietor. He took it in on trade and ordered me a Les Paul Custom and said it would take 4-6 weeks to get. At the 4 week mark I called and asked if my guitar came in. He said no and that it was on back order but should have it in 3 weeks. At the 7 week mark I called him and he said it was built and he would have it in a few days.

The next day was a Saturday and decided to ride my Schwinn Apple Crate up to the store and see just what the hell was going on. When I arrived the store was locked up tight with yellow bankruptcy notices on every window. I looked in the window and saw my guitar hanging on the wall. A guy was there from some government agency that took an inventory and put up the notices and I explained that the black Flying V was mine and I asked him to please let me in to get my guitar. The man explained he could not do that and if I wanted it back I would have to buy it back through the bankruptcy court. I was crushed!

To make matters worse years later I went into another shop ran into some of the staff that worked at The Guitar And Drum Center. They told me they has no idea what was going on and when they came in one day the store was locked with no explanation. They told me Les was taking lots of orders during the months prior to the closing but nothing ever came in? They figured out that the plan was Les was trying to take as many orders as he could and keep the deposits and take in as many trades as he could and sell them for cash before he closed down.

I am scared for life!

Last edited: