The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member Stevie C.'s Avatar

NPD - Way Huge Overrated Special!

Got my Overrated Special today from Sweetwater!

Haven't had a ton of time yet to explore this thing, but I definitely like what I've heard so far.
    I have 3 overdrives on my board now. This, a Plexi Drive Deluxe, and a Lumpy's ZII.
    They are all very different as I'm sure you can imagine.
    The Overrated Special is a very transparent overdrive compared to the others for sure.
    I have these into a vintage '59 Ampeg Rocket combo(similar to a tweed deluxe) and also a Marshall DSL-1 Head/Half stack.
    Mine is #83 of 1000 worldwide.

Came with a cool pick tin that has "0083 of 1000" on it, and has these sweet Silver Joe B. Jazz III picks! Also a couple of buttons.

Here's a gut shot if that helps anyone.

Les Paul Forum Member tonyfrancis's Avatar

Re: NPD - Way Huge Overrated Special!

I have one coming in the mail from Sweetwater. The pick tin is pretty cool.

We met up with Joe B and Mike H in the afternoon before the show in Leeds UK late last year. I was on stage checking out Joe'sgear, peering in the back of the tweeds etc when I spotted this pedal on stage. All he had was this and a wah.

Later I googled them and tried to find any for sale anywhere, absolutely none, anywhere. So when I saw your post I went searching again. There are a couple of shops in the UK offering these on pre order, so I just ordered one from Andertons. They won't have it until the end of March, so it's a long wait for me!

Hope it's worth the wait!

Cheers for the heads up.
    Rob
    -----------------
    Rob Livesey
    Morecambe Bay, UK

Quote Originally Posted by rob livesey View Post
    We met up with Joe B and Mike H in the afternoon before the show in Leeds UK late last year. I was on stage checking out Joe'sgear, peering in the back of the tweeds etc when I spotted this pedal on stage. All he had was this and a wah.

Later I googled them and tried to find any for sale anywhere, absolutely none, anywhere. So when I saw your post I went searching again. There are a couple of shops in the UK offering these on pre order, so I just ordered one from Andertons. They won't have it until the end of March, so it's a long wait for me!

Hope it's worth the wait!

Cheers for the heads up.
    Rob

I suspect you will say it's overrated...

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I suspect you will say it's overrated...
    If anyone wants to complain about them they will have no grounds to do so. It says it's overrated right there on the tin ! So what are you moaning about?

Well, Joe sounded amazing as always that night, Les Paul through tweeds (lots and lots of them) and this pedal. If I get 20% of what he has I'll be happy.

Rob
    -----------------
    Rob Livesey
    Morecambe Bay, UK

I hope you find it is not the elusive "Truth in Advertising"...
    Last edited by renderit; 09-03-16 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Geez. So misspelled elusive the spelling illudeded me

Les Paul Forum Member

Trying to order one from my local Dunlop dealer, I hope they can get one for me.

I just ordered mine today. I really wasn't planning on making any gear purchases, but I couldn't resist this one. It should be here Wednesday.

Les Paul Forum Member Born Late '58's Avatar

Mine's on the way too--I hope it's got the squish....

Les Paul Forum Member Born Late '58's Avatar

Well, mine came today. SN# 0019 of 1000. The family's home, so I couldn't crank it, but so far I'm underwhelmed.

Reminds me of the Fulltone Secret Freq, but the Fulltone is superior in every way. At least mine is....

EDIT: OK, so I just spent a couple hours with the pedal, at band-level volume, and it actually is pretty cool--I had been hoping (given the iconography of the pedal's face) for a dumblish clone vibe, which the pedal most certainly does not have at low volume. But as JB has indicated (and this is by no means pandering to the rich and famous--I'm still pretty pissed off at Joe for snatching a minty Deluxe Reverb out from under me at Norm's about 3 years ago, so no pandering here. I still dream about that amp, dammit.)--anyway, as he suggested, run it through an amp that's already cooking a bit and, voila, dumblish squish and chirp, while the 500 hz knob can get you into Brian May, cocked-wah territory as well, if you like, a la the Secret Freq, and further, will definitely allow your lead tone to find a frequency "space" in your band's mix).

Just for kicks, I AB'd it with an old school Hermida Zendrive, as well as a Tanabe Dumkudo/Zenkudo Twin Custom, and the dumble vibe (to me, at least) was there across the various spectra those great pedals can produce).

I'd say, if you have a zendrive, or a Tanabe, or even the Fulltone Secret Freq, this pedal might not take you anywhere especially new. But it does look cool as hell, so there's that....

FWIW....
    Last edited by Born Late '58; 02-07-16 at 01:29 AM.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Les Paul Forum Member Rocker4life's Avatar

Proud owner of SN #0590. Great Pedal!

Les Paul Forum Member JBLPplayer's Avatar

The Trick to these is to start with an amp with some growl already.. To go in dead clean is not the optimum way to run it.. You will hear the difference…
    Joe B

Quote Originally Posted by JBLPplayer View Post
    The Trick to these is to start with an amp with some growl already.. To go in dead clean is not the optimum way to run it.. You will hear the difference…
    Joe B
    Hey joe i have to ask because im a nerd for the finest details sometimes and i was looking at the green rhino and then i saw this.. and its based off the green rhino.. is it a slightly different voiced green rhino? Different perameter tweaks?

Thanks man!

Joe B
    I agree Joe! I love mine into my little Marshall 1 watt, but I think it is even better into the old '59 Ampeg Rocket once it's dialed up a bit!

Joe B
    Joe, were you using this pedal at Radio City last year, or not until the Three Kings Tour?

Les Paul Forum Member JBLPplayer's Avatar

I've used the Overratted since July of 2014.
    Joe B

Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar

Joe B
    I will try this technique with my Green Rhino. Thanks Joe.

I've used the Overratted since July of 2014.
    Joe B
    Oh, very cool Joe! Didn't realize you were using it that early?
    By the way, here is a pic of you, my son Patrick, and I backstage before the Three Kings show in Bangor, Maine last August.

It was an incredible show, and a thrill to be able to meet you!
    Hopefully, I'll be able to meet up with you again someday, and I'll have you sign my Overrated and my JB Fuzz Face too!
    Both pedals will be permanent additions to my home pedalboard, and will be used for years to come!
    Do you still use the JB Fuzz Face at all?

I intend to be using mine into some cranked Tweed.

Joe, would you share your preference of settings with us? You have had this pedal the longest amongst us, it would be great to hear your experience.

Cheers,
    Rob
    -----------------
    Rob Livesey
    Morecambe Bay, UK

Les Paul Forum Member

Joe shared this today for those who are looking for tips.

http://jbonamassa.com/features/2016/...erated-pedals/

Quote Originally Posted by fcsnut View Post
    Joe shared this today for those who are looking for tips.

http://jbonamassa.com/features/2016/...erated-pedals/
    Thanks for the heads up on the link.

Well, that answers all my questions! Thanks Joe!

Also good to know that they sound like the ones Joe has been using.

We have a long wait for these in the UK, mine won't be here until April !

Cheers,
    Rob
    -----------------
    Rob Livesey
    Morecambe Bay, UK

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rob livesey View Post
    Thanks for the heads up on the link.

Well, that answers all my questions! Thanks Joe!

Also good to know that they sound like the ones Joe has been using.

We have a long wait for these in the UK, mine won't be here until April !

Cheers,
    Rob
    bit of a wait in Canada as well im expecting end of the month.

Les Paul Forum Member

started checking around. Are these all sold out?

I've had mine for a little bit now, I haven't got a ton of use with it, but from the couple times I've played it, I love it. I've been running it with my Les Paul G0 1960 Historic Reissue (see my avatar), and my Victoria 80212, and it this pedal with that guitar and amp is a magic combo. I used it the other day in a jam and it was perfect. I don't use it like Joe B does, I leave my amp clean and use that for a very mild amount of grit. I primarily play Jazz/Funk so it isn't gain central. Even though the pedal was intended to be paired with an already driven amp just to give it that push over the cliff, it works great to add a little gain, and help cut through the mix.

Les Paul Forum Member

I am on the hunt for one, i missed a couple on sale. Hope to find one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by randall View Post
    I am on the hunt for one, i missed a couple on sale. Hope to find one soon.
    Good Luck! I already saw them up on Reverb for $500 since there is such a high demand.

Just got mine a few weeks ago... 660/1000.. So far works really well with my '58 tweed super..
    Tomorrow iam going to try it with my Vic 50212 and my '71 Marshall super bass, full stack of coarse..
    Music for me.

Les Paul Forum Member

How was it progear?

Les Paul Forum Member

How does it compare to early 80s old TS808 or TS9 tube screamers? Yeah I'm seeing these on evilbay cranked up to 500 usd...that's 750 bucks for us Canucks...yikes...plus shipping/handling/duty. Here's hopin there's a second run...sure like to run one into the old plexis.

Les Paul Forum Member

Marfen, Long and Mcquade only ordered 6 across the country, I was the first to order and predicted a demand so unknowingly there was only 6, I grabbed 2.

Ok folks here is my report..

'58 tweed super:
    gave the amp more clarity and cleaned up really nice, excelled with my les Paul with the volume around 7. Overdrive was smooth with that slight mid boost.

Vic 50212 (tweed twin clone w/ vintage p12q)I run this amp on a slightly cleaner setting than my super:
    Again gave the amp a little more clarity, liked mostly when the guitar volume was on 10.. Worked really well stacked with my Tim pedal.

'71 Marshall super, full stack w/ '70 & '72 4x12 cabs, vintage celestions
    real help a lot with the mid boost, gave the the amp I little more sparkle at cleaner settings. Made the overdrive a little more aggressive, not better or worst, just different..

i liked best with my tweed super, than Marshall and last but not least the Vic..

Pretty sweet pedal and I own a bunch of really nice overdrive pedals...

I can can see this pedal working really well in a band situation .

this is my own opinion .. YMMV...
    Last edited by Progear; 02-25-16 at 06:31 PM.
    Music for me.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fcsnut View Post
    Marfen, Long and Mcquade only ordered 6 across the country, I was the first to order and predicted a demand so unknowingly there was only 6, I grabbed 2.
    How are you liking it? Good move on your part.

Les Paul Forum Member

With my super reverb cooking this thing sounds sweet! I got both 900's serials. Phew, close call .

Les Paul Forum Member

Well a great friend at L & M was able to get me one from the 2nd run. I usually run early 80s ts9 and ts808 into 68 plexis which are attenuated with a hot plate. Just used it last weekend at a gig with a 50w halfstack and my pre cbs strat. That 500k trim pot really came in handy dealing with a high stage volume all @ and another Gibson/marshall player onstage. Really helped. I highly recommend this pedal. Doesn't kill off all those glorious marshall output tube overtones like the TS series. I'm very impressed with what it does with old Lesters, tweed and plexi alike as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Django2014 View Post
    I leave my amp clean and use that for a very mild amount of grit. I primarily play Jazz/Funk so it isn't gain central. Even though the pedal was intended to be paired with an already driven amp just to give it that push over the cliff, it works great to add a little gain, and help cut through the mix.
    Thanks for that! I tend to move in the jazz/funk arena whenever I'm not being paid to play something else and I've been using a Boogie since they first came out (Or since I could afford to buy one after they came out...) but for some reason it appears to be getting heavier and heavier the older I get, so I've invested in a Carlsbro Sherwood which is so clean I have to wash my hands before I use it. The first time I plugged in to it I thought Duane Eddy had walked into the room. To dirty things up a bit I was using a Black Finger compressor and a J Rocket Max pedal, then they got stolen along with nearly all my leads and power supplies and stuff. Sounds like this pedal might be the one to save me rebuying all the other pedals.

I use it with my 1970 Super Reverb. Just incredible.

Les Paul Forum Member

Hey!

I'm new on here, and wanted to ask a question - hopefully not one blindingly obvious or stupid.

I'm looking to add the Overrated Special onto my board. After reading a lot and listening to demos I have also come to the conclusion it works best with a cranked amp. However, where I live, the amp I have can't be cranked without pissing everyone off in my block. I do have a plexi-style pedal on my board that mimics a driven Marshall. Would this pedal still be used to its full potential if I put the Overrated Special after that plexi style pedal as that kind of pushes my amp? Or will it still not get the same effect? Place it somewhere else in my signal chain maybe?

Hope to hear from you soon and that you guys can help.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by StickyLP View Post
    Hey!

I'm new on here, and wanted to ask a question - hopefully not one blindingly obvious or stupid.

I'm looking to add the Overrated Special onto my board. After reading a lot and listening to demos I have also come to the conclusion it works best with a cranked amp. However, where I live, the amp I have can't be cranked without pissing everyone off in my block. I do have a plexi-style pedal on my board that mimics a driven Marshall. Would this pedal still be used to its full potential if I put the Overrated Special after that plexi style pedal as that kind of pushes my amp? Or will it still not get the same effect? Place it somewhere else in my signal chain maybe?

Hope to hear from you soon and that you guys can help.

Cheers!
    Hey StickyLP- when I can’t crank my 1974x, I set the amp to clean, and then use an OCD for some low volume gain. Then I drive the ORS into the OCD. My logic is- I use the ORS to drive into the amp, so why not drive it into the OCD. Anyway- I am pretty happy with the results. Cheers!