• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NPD - Way Huge Overrated Special!

fcsnut

Thanks for the heads up on the link.

Well, that answers all my questions! Thanks Joe!

Also good to know that they sound like the ones Joe has been using.

We have a long wait for these in the UK, mine won't be here until April !

Cheers,
Rob

bit of a wait in Canada as well im expecting end of the month.

Django2014

I've had mine for a little bit now, I haven't got a ton of use with it, but from the couple times I've played it, I love it. I've been running it with my Les Paul G0 1960 Historic Reissue (see my avatar), and my Victoria 80212, and it this pedal with that guitar and amp is a magic combo. I used it the other day in a jam and it was perfect. I don't use it like Joe B does, I leave my amp clean and use that for a very mild amount of grit. I primarily play Jazz/Funk so it isn't gain central. Even though the pedal was intended to be paired with an already driven amp just to give it that push over the cliff, it works great to add a little gain, and help cut through the mix.

randall

I am on the hunt for one, i missed a couple on sale. Hope to find one soon.

Progear

Just got mine a few weeks ago... 660/1000.. So far works really well with my '58 tweed super..
Tomorrow iam going to try it with my Vic 50212 and my '71 Marshall super bass, full stack of coarse..:dude:

marfen

How does it compare to early 80s old TS808 or TS9 tube screamers? Yeah I'm seeing these on evilbay cranked up to 500 usd...that's 750 bucks for us Canucks...yikes...plus shipping/handling/duty. Here's hopin there's a second run...sure like to run one into the old plexis.

fcsnut

Marfen, Long and Mcquade only ordered 6 across the country, I was the first to order and predicted a demand so unknowingly there was only 6, I grabbed 2.

Progear

Ok folks here is my report..

'58 tweed super:
gave the amp more clarity and cleaned up really nice, excelled with my les Paul with the volume around 7. Overdrive was smooth with that slight mid boost.

Vic 50212 (tweed twin clone w/ vintage p12q)I run this amp on a slightly cleaner setting than my super:
Again gave the amp a little more clarity, liked mostly when the guitar volume was on 10.. Worked really well stacked with my Tim pedal.

'71 Marshall super, full stack w/ '70 & '72 4x12 cabs, vintage celestions
real help a lot with the mid boost, gave the the amp I little more sparkle at cleaner settings. Made the overdrive a little more aggressive, not better or worst, just different..

i liked best with my tweed super, than Marshall and last but not least the Vic..

Pretty sweet pedal and I own a bunch of really nice overdrive pedals...

I can can see this pedal working really well in a band situation .

this is my own opinion .. YMMV... :2cool

Last edited:

marfen

Marfen, Long and Mcquade only ordered 6 across the country, I was the first to order and predicted a demand so unknowingly there was only 6, I grabbed 2.

How are you liking it? Good move on your part.

fcsnut

With my super reverb cooking this thing sounds sweet! I got both 900's serials. Phew, close call :yah.

marfen

Well a great friend at L & M was able to get me one from the 2nd run. I usually run early 80s ts9 and ts808 into 68 plexis which are attenuated with a hot plate. Just used it last weekend at a gig with a 50w halfstack and my pre cbs strat. That 500k trim pot really came in handy dealing with a high stage volume all @ and another Gibson/marshall player onstage. Really helped. I highly recommend this pedal. Doesn't kill off all those glorious marshall output tube overtones like the TS series. I'm very impressed with what it does with old Lesters, tweed and plexi alike as well.

JJMMWG DuPree

I leave my amp clean and use that for a very mild amount of grit. I primarily play Jazz/Funk so it isn't gain central. Even though the pedal was intended to be paired with an already driven amp just to give it that push over the cliff, it works great to add a little gain, and help cut through the mix.

Thanks for that! I tend to move in the jazz/funk arena whenever I'm not being paid to play something else and I've been using a Boogie since they first came out (Or since I could afford to buy one after they came out...) but for some reason it appears to be getting heavier and heavier the older I get, so I've invested in a Carlsbro Sherwood which is so clean I have to wash my hands before I use it. The first time I plugged in to it I thought Duane Eddy had walked into the room. To dirty things up a bit I was using a Black Finger compressor and a J Rocket Max pedal, then they got stolen along with nearly all my leads and power supplies and stuff. Sounds like this pedal might be the one to save me rebuying all the other pedals.:jim

E.M.

I use it with my 1970 Super Reverb. Just incredible.

StickyLP

Hey!

I'm new on here, and wanted to ask a question - hopefully not one blindingly obvious or stupid.

I'm looking to add the Overrated Special onto my board. After reading a lot and listening to demos I have also come to the conclusion it works best with a cranked amp. However, where I live, the amp I have can't be cranked without pissing everyone off in my block. I do have a plexi-style pedal on my board that mimics a driven Marshall. Would this pedal still be used to its full potential if I put the Overrated Special after that plexi style pedal as that kind of pushes my amp? Or will it still not get the same effect? Place it somewhere else in my signal chain maybe?

Hope to hear from you soon and that you guys can help.

Cheers!

Stephens

Hey!

I'm new on here, and wanted to ask a question - hopefully not one blindingly obvious or stupid.

I'm looking to add the Overrated Special onto my board. After reading a lot and listening to demos I have also come to the conclusion it works best with a cranked amp. However, where I live, the amp I have can't be cranked without pissing everyone off in my block. I do have a plexi-style pedal on my board that mimics a driven Marshall. Would this pedal still be used to its full potential if I put the Overrated Special after that plexi style pedal as that kind of pushes my amp? Or will it still not get the same effect? Place it somewhere else in my signal chain maybe?

Hope to hear from you soon and that you guys can help.

Cheers!

Hey StickyLP- when I can’t crank my 1974x, I set the amp to clean, and then use an OCD for some low volume gain. Then I drive the ORS into the OCD. My logic is- I use the ORS to drive into the amp, so why not drive it into the OCD. Anyway- I am pretty happy with the results. Cheers!