• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Who's your guitar hero?

peterg

My guitar hero is Mr. Marty Friedman.
I have covered some of his songs and solos. being able to cover his solos is somthing but having those ideas in your head is something totally next level :D

au_rick

The first guitarist to grab my attention as a young kid was Steve Jones, he's my 'guitar hero' for many reasons.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PDN3tAb-vbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

+1 just for the comedy value :dude:

ElectricGuitarM

"There goes my hero" Dave Grohl for sure
giphy.gif

greg-delta

Les Paul Froum Member
I have a lot of answers for this. I enjoy many players. Clapton, Beck, Page of course, guys like Ernie Isley are amazing, I love Eddie Hazel, Dimebag Darrell is (in my opinion) probably one of the best technical players I've ever heard (yes, a Vai or Satriani is more skilled technically, but I find their music to be boring), where would guitar as an instrument be without revolutionaries like EVH and Les Paul? Who can match up to Chet Adkins in terms of melodic playing? St Vincent and Yvette Young are amazing gals who are great songwriters and players and are inspiring a new generation of girls (and guys) to pick up the guitar.

I love all these players for various reasons. Whether or not I can play their licks, or like their tone, or whatever, I think I've learned at least something from each of them

But no one has impacted me and my music as much as that Purple Yoda from the Heart of Minnesota, Prince.

See, at the time I discovered him, I was a metal/hard rock head. I was trying to form this Deep Purple/Metallica hybrid, but I had a hard time finding players and stuff...and when I heard Prince, it just changed everything. Without Prince, I never would have learned keys, I never would've been motivated to forge my own path...I started just consuming everything about him and everytime I heard or read something I was like "you can do that?!?"

He wasn't a technical beast, but he was an incredible guitarist, in my opinion (and I've listened to every album, many many unreleased tracks, and live shows) I don't think I've ever heard him mess up. Every note he plays is the perfect fit in that moment of song. He never recorded a note that didn't belong.

So yeah, Prince is my biggest influence as a musician

RIP you fucking amazing maniac
1b1531fb9f073a2e2cb905a392d3c53a.jpg

brandtkronholm

+1 :yah

There are no words for the awesomeness of Prince.
May he forever "Rock Hard in a Funky Place".

RDL

Me....People have been telling me im rubbish for 45 years but im STILL going. Beat that yngwie malmsteen.

Texas Blues

Today.

My guitar hero is.

Stu D. Baker.

AKA.

Unknown Hinson.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/of0gN6XHUSY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

CK6

Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Gary Moore!

Randy & Gary had this big fat honking Les Paul tone that made me want to play a Les Paul.

Texas Blues

Unknown Hinson

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1jIvk_3C_uQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

RhinestoneStrat

The first guitarist to grab my attention as a young kid was Steve Jones, he's my 'guitar hero' for many reasons.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PDN3tAb-vbY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

And before that the original owner of the guitar...Sylvain Sylvain of the New York Dolls.:dude:

watch

big_b493ecf5fa484c3c95e52ef900271a55.jpg

SpencerD

The term " hero" makes you weak

I ain't got no guitar heroes --- not fucking weak :peace2:dude: