• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Do the '13/14 custom shop 1960 Les Paul Specials use hide glue and new truss rod?

True

Did the 2013/14 custom shop 1960 reissue Les Paul Specials get the same upgrades that the big boy 57/58/59/60 reissue Les Pauls got in 2013? Did they get the hide glue and truss rod without the tubing? I can't seem to find anything on the internet to confirm this so I figured this would be the place to ask.

As a side question, I see some of the 1960 reissue LP Specials have the 50's neck, while others have the 60's neck. Anybody know why some have one and some have the other? Certain colors maybe got one type of neck??? Or just the VOS versions??? (just guessing). Oh and I am talking about the single cut versions in particular. Thanks for any help!!

TM1

Did the 2013/14 custom shop 1960 reissue Les Paul Specials get the same upgrades that the big boy 57/58/59/60 reissue Les Pauls got in 2013? Did they get the hide glue and truss rod without the tubing? I can't seem to find anything on the internet to confirm this so I figured this would be the place to ask.

As a side question, I see some of the 1960 reissue LP Specials have the 50's neck, while others have the 60's neck. Anybody know why some have one and some have the other? Certain colors maybe got one type of neck??? Or just the VOS versions??? (just guessing). Oh and I am talking about the single cut versions in particular. Thanks for any help!!
Good question.. Maybe our friend here who works at the Custom Shop can tell us...

Big Al

I believe all the Historics received the same upgrades depending upon year. !3's had the Hide Glued neck and new truss rod, 14's got the hide glued fingerboard upgrade spec.

Big Al

I believe all the Historics received the same upgrades depending upon year. !3's had the Hide Glued neck and new truss rod, 14's got the hide glued fingerboard upgrade spec.

The neck profile is an option choice as they were made both ways in the original 58-60 and the "1960" is just the CS designated model name. Great that there is an option to choose from as I wouldn't want the 60 profile and would the like the 50's-early 60 all had round profiles and mid 60 on was thin, so there is a historical reason.

Last edited:

True

It makes sense that they would all get the upgrades, but I can't seem to find anything that says that they actually did. I can find plenty of info about the R9's and the 335's for example, but nothing that mentions the Specials, or really any other Historic versions for that matter. I appreciate the response though. Anybody else happen to know anything?

Progrocker111

SGs should have the upgrades too, equipped with Custombuckers since 2013 too.

TM1

I hope they all got the upgrades! I hope they did something about the neck size. I hope they do something about the price though as you can by a vintage Jr. for $4-5k and Special's are about $6-7k. the Custom Shop's prices seem to me to be considerably out of line when compared to originals. If I'm going to spend say $6k on a slab body Jr. or Special, it's going to be for a Vintage one with all the right glues and Brazilian Rosewood, not to mention original P-90's.