• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Garage Find: Silvertone 1482

CBRmatt600

Well it arrived this morning, and as I suspected, it is totally badass. I'm running it through a single 15" bass cab I built that has a pretty basic 4ohm Eminence speaker in it. Sounds awesome, I don't even know if I will mess around with building another one or not.

Big Al

Welcome to the club, Brother!!

I actually have ben thinking of doing just what you said, gut one and put it in a bigger, deeper cab with some nice speaker or speakers. Hey, I have one of those Twin Twelve amps, the head is wired to the cab and tucks into the back for moving. It sounds GREAT except it has the WORST Reverb I have ever had on any amp. Still, a cool ass amp.

CBRmatt600

Ha, regrettably, (or not) the reverb is not functioning on mine so I haven't experienced the horrid reverb yet.

If you do go down the road of building a new enclosure for a 1482, let us know! I've got a scratch telecaster build going on right now and a basement remodel behind that so I probably won't get around to that project for some time.

BurstWurst

I've had so much fun with this amp that I pulled the trigger on another Silvertone. It's a 1484 "Twin Twelve" with dual 6L6's. Found a head only for sale and got it for $300. Will probably build my own 2x12 cab with some Weber Alnicos or 12F150 speakers in it to keep it close to the original Jensens. Anyway, can't wait to get my hands on it!
Seems these seem to start a bit of a fever. I did the same thing,getting a 1484 shortly after acquiring the 1482. After a disheartening deal on a head only (discussed on another thread here), I found a complete amp/cab combo that is every bit as fun as the "introductory" 1482. My reverb "works", albeit certainly one of the worst reverbs I've ever heard.

Triburst

Welcome to the club, Brother!!

I actually have ben thinking of doing just what you said, gut one and put it in a bigger, deeper cab with some nice speaker or speakers. Hey, I have one of those Twin Twelve amps, the head is wired to the cab and tucks into the back for moving. It sounds GREAT except it has the WORST Reverb I have ever had on any amp. Still, a cool ass amp.

Oh wow - that takes me back. The guitar player in my band in high school (in the 60's) had one of those. As we got more and more successful, we "upgraded" our stuff. That amp got replaced with a '68 Super Reverb and as I recall, you're right -- the reverb was basically the big improvement.

talpa

my nextdoor neighbor when i was still in Houston, was a brilliant EE guy (designed electrical for offshore rig plaforms) & a music enthusiast (really into Carvin gear).

he had a like-new condition 60's 1482 which he pro upgraded the baffle, death cord & put a nice, old broken-in Weber.

when he took a new job w/ GE in Erie, PA - he gave me the amp as a good-bye present..a real ace gent. he didn't play it much; we biased chassis on my bench together a lot - he was such a brain on circuit issues.

added some vintage glass all-round inc. a nos set of mil-grade VT-107 (6V6) i had been hanging onto. great recording amp w/ a LP ala Walsh - such a cool tweed-like tone, trem channel is fully functional ha. the baffle replacement is the #1 must-do in these amps.

miss my old friend - lovely couple & kids.