• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to ID a True Gibson Les Paul R9 Tom Murphy, without a COA?

John Barber

I'm thinking of buying a 2006 Gibson Les Paul that the seller says its a Tom Murphy Aged Guitar, but he doesn't have the COA, I know there started to be a lot of people doing the relic thing in there back rooms. If you had the serial number could Gibson look in there records and find that guitar and know weather they had Tom do it, or it was done by some unknown?

fred dons

Tom Initials his paint under the volume and tone of the bridge pickup ( T M cut into the paint making it look like random crackle) it is no guarantee that is it a TM when it appears as anyone can cut this but if it is absence I would doubt it really is a murphy

_571_zps2d1cc5ef.jpg

kanelime

Anyone may cut this, so it's not always a certainty that it's a TM when it appears; however, if it's missing, I would question whether it's actually a murphy. Tom initials his paint under the bridge pickup's volume and tone, creating what seems like random cracks.
io games