The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Notable Les Paul Deluxe Players

I can only think of two off the top of my head.

Pete Townshend and Scott Gorham.

Scott is the only one I know of who used a Deluxe for a substantial part of his career.

Pete's Deluxe use was more of a mid 70s phase. It was his guitar of choice when I saw the Who in '79.

Who else has used a Deluxe?

Any notable career Deluxe players?
    "In Heaven all the interesting people are missing."

Re: Notable Les Paul Deluxe Players

Bailey, Lukather, Johnny Winter for awhile, lots more but I have Chemo Brain and it is hard for me to remember. I saw many, many guitarists in the Clubs I worked at in the 70's. Musicman Amps were the most commonly seen next to Fenders then too. At least in the Clubs I played and went to. A Les Paul Deluxe and a Musicman HD amp is a very potent combo!
    The older I get, the better I was.

Thanks Al

Spent the past couple hours listening to ARS. I'd forgotten the tasty tones Barry got from his Deluxe.

Les Paul Forum Member Raw Materials's Avatar

Tom Scholz

Ace frehley

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by latkagravas View Post
    Ace frehley
    Good point!
    Hell, if we're talking routed Deluxes, could be a large percentage of anyone who played a LP in the early/mid 70's, that didn't play a burst!
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Really I was thinking only mini equipped Deluxes.

There are lots of conversions out and about but it's a Standard 'tonally' after a conversion.

I just don't see/hear too many people in the limelight playing mini'd Deluxes.

Mine has been getting mass attention lately and it made me wonder why I don't see/hear more of them.

I can guarantee you heard a lot more as they were used on lots of recordings. The mini hum sound is very versatile and works better with some of the more modern amps. They just crush through vintage Fender amps. One of my favorite sounds.

Les Paul Forum Member guitplayer's Avatar

My opinion , playing in the 70`s . The mini-hums were bad then and still are. Amp should not
    change that.WADR I play loud Rock. Always have. always will.

Most of who I know then played routed deluxes .
    " Never Mind Your Face, just show us your card"

A second for Barry Bailey of the Atlanta Rhythm Section. It terms of just tone, that is my favorite LP Deluxe tone. Great player too. Listen to their version of Spooky.
    "What's it SOUND like, baby?" - Ray Charles

Notable might be Jeff Carlisi. He played a 1970 GT and a 1969 routed gt. Still does

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I can guarantee you heard a lot more as they were used on lots of recordings. The mini hum sound is very versatile and works better with some of the more modern amps. They just crush through vintage Fender amps. One of my favorite sounds.
    I've been playing mine through a CBB Kingston (Black Face Deluxe clone) lately and the combination certainly is killer.

It took a bit of experimentation with the pup heights to dial in a tone I like. The bridge is still a bit louder in my 'sweet spot' but I can live with it.

With this combo I can get an almost Tele like cut minus the noise. The minis are also thicker sounding than singles without the 'bucker mud.

The neck clean is a really special tone. I think that is becoming my new fave.

It's a really nice middle ground.

I'm sure I've heard more recorded Deluxe than I know of. It's kinda' why I started the thread. I'd like to go back and pick through some of these tones.

Barry Bailey's work with ARS is certainly fertile ground.

Some of the older ARS is very close in style to ABB. A lot of those songs I've not heard before. ARS was never on my list of must buy albums back in the day. I relegated them to 'I hear enough of this on the radio' stauts. My bad...

Quote Originally Posted by guitplayer View Post
    Notable might be Jeff Carlisi. He played a 1970 GT and a 1969 routed gt. Still does
    From Jeff's web page axology:

"1969 GIbson Les Paul Deluxe (Gold Top)

Primary Studio Guitar

Solos: Hold on Loosely, Caught Up in You, Fantasy Girl, Rockin' Into the Night, Like No Other Night, Back Where You Belong.

Pickups: Mini-Humbuckers

Inspired by: Barry Bailey from Atlanta Rhythm Section"

It's funny as .38 Special wasn't one of my favorite bands by a long shot. But I always did like the leads from these songs.

I think Al is right. I've heard a lot of mini but just didn't know it. Now that I'm playing one I'm finding the sounds in my head that were previously elusive.

Cool, i was thinking the mini was a 1970.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

+1 Barry Bailey

"Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

Dickey Betts had one for a minute too IIRC..
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

My opinion , playing in the 70`s . The mini-hums were bad then and still are. Amp should not

I played all through the 70's and my band RAMBUNCTIOUS killed all the Disco's in Carson City and Reno and returned live music to the clubs. I played all over the West Coast from 75 on and before that it was in NY that I played. Les Paul Deluxes were everywhere and they continued to sell in huge numbers even after the Standard was made available. They are hardly bad and I played loud Rock, just not stupid loud or overly gained out fuzz mush, and I am fully aware of what each type pickup can do. Newer amps with extended tone and gain structures interface better with the Mini IMO. It just works better.

I played many gigs with my early 70's Goldtop Deluxe and never had a problem playing with other guitarists with full size hum buckers. Still have that guitar and it still slays and plays. If you only play a tiny, defined, loud raw type of tone that doesn't represent the whole of the live music that was played every week in Clubs all around the country back then, or now.

IMO, a strong argument can be made for the greater utility of the critically overlooked and underused Mini equipped Les Pauls over the too strong flavor of the PAF Humbucker. The latter sounds great and if you listen to most sound clips that feature them, or people demoing other stuff but using them, it all sounds the same. A cool sound for sure, but I get bored with the one dimensionality of it and as I play all kinds of stuff, (badly), I like the ability to cover all my sound choices with the Mini/Deluxe combo. I can do Country Twang, Blusey moans and stinging stabs, smooth Jazzy runs and chords to brash Rock in Roll.

Though not everyone played the same, or likes the same stuff, I think it is a worthwhile endeavor to explore this option if you feel you want more. Everyone should own one and another with P90's but that is for a different rant.
    Last edited by Big Al; 01-06-16 at 10:55 AM.

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

They were used in really many European (or even Southamerican) progrock and hardrock bands during 70s with often great results.

Listen for example to this solo, begins in 3:46.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV9SzppFO6Q

Or this is another one, used with Vox AC30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGSZ5YgzWTQ
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

2014 Gibson Les Paul Special 1960 Custom Shop single cut reissue
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

i agree 100 percent with you about the les paul deluxe ,i think they are the beast in the shadows ,i own 1979 les paul deluxe for over 10 years now and lately i have been lucky enough to come across real P.A.F Mini Humbucker 1960 one came of original epiphone sorrento it reads 7.18 which is hot for a mini it got the original wire and i decided it will be the perfect upgrade for bridge position ,first of all i had to re route the guitar as it turned to be a bit deeper than the 70s gibson mini but 100 percent worth it 10000000 percent i think its the perfect mod for deluxe , i will post pics of it and sound clip soon with my Fargen Retro classic .

Am I wrong to contend that a good les Paul with a good set of mini humbuckers would be the best device to give one the mythological fat Tele sound?

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRollShakeUp View Post
    Am I wrong to contend that a good les Paul with a good set of mini humbuckers would be the best device to give one the mythological fat Tele sound?
    That's how I've expressed the tone to others when trying to describe minis.

My bridge mini can get real close in tone to my nocaster 43AWG/AIII bridge pup.

Round, clean, and fat without being ice picky.

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    I can only think of two off the top of my head.

Pete Townshend and Scott Gorham.

Scott is the only one I know of who used a Deluxe for a substantial part of his career.

Pete's Deluxe use was more of a mid 70s phase. It was his guitar of choice when I saw the Who in '79.

Who else has used a Deluxe?

Any notable career Deluxe players?
    More than I can think of predominantly a lot of lead guitarist in classic rock pull them out in the studio especially Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult and also Robertson of Thin Lizzy wore the Frets out on his

The mini humbuckers with a Marshall and 10"in speakers hits The Sweet Spot of the mid-range and cut through the other guys. Without cutting your head off. Johnny Winters Firebirds had the same mini humbucker pickups as a Les Paul Deluxes

Routed deluxe's ?useless Chop Shop mod. Can you play lead ?.....just asking

Quote Originally Posted by DanD View Post
    That's how I've expressed the tone to others when trying to describe minis.

My bridge mini can get real close in tone to my nocaster 43AWG/AIII bridge pup.

Round, clean, and fat without being ice picky.
    I'd agree with that...i play in power Trio and take 6 guitars on stage. It's pretty much down to the 78 Deluve and the 77 Strat. Only mods are I wax potted the deluxe pickups and the Strat has a David Gilmour package in it. Don't make mean to get off subject here but a Gibson can't do everything. I don't think anyone guitar can

Les Paul Forum Member Hot_Snake's Avatar

Mike Ness from Social Distortion

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez View Post
    More than I can think of predominantly a lot of lead guitarist in classic rock pull them out in the studio especially Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult and also Robertson of Thin Lizzy wore the Frets out on his

The mini humbuckers with a Marshall and 10"in speakers hits The Sweet Spot of the mid-range and cut through the other guys. Without cutting your head off. Johnny Winters Firebirds had the same mini humbucker pickups as a Les Paul Deluxes
    No. Though both are called Mini Humbuckers the Firebird pickup is a completely different pickup from the Deluxe mini. It is like the difference between a P90 and Alnico Staple pole pickup. Both are single coils, same size, same cover yet completely different.

A Deluxe Mini is less powerful than a PAF. Still, it has a healthy output, more than other pickups that many feel are great at pushing an amp into overdrive. The problem has always been 59 envy. Just like today, back in the 70's there were guitarist obsessed with Bursts and PAFs.

"Amps don't change that", "that" being mini humbuckers were always "BAD" is the perfect example of sheeple logic baa baa bombastic baseless buffoon blubbery bluster expected from closed minded, closed eared stuck in '69 whammerjammers.

PAF and other full size humbuckers and Les Paul Standards are great. They do what they do exceptionally well and I love it, for what it does. But, that also means they don't do what they can't and that powerful can means equally powerful CAN'TS.

My whole entire music mantra from playing to gear can be summarized as this, APPLICATION & EXECUTION. What context, or what am I expecting to achieve?, and how best to do it, in which manner or method? This process has served me well.

I say this because no one is saying one is better or always bad, except one, ... person. Those chasing one narrow application and executing it in one never changing manner have closed off any options. That's all well and good and we all get it, but so what? How does that enlighten or add anything worthwhile, other than an ignorant blanket chest thumping declaration? You don't like them, ok, always bad, amps don't matter just shows ignorance and removes any credibility from that statement.

The mini may have a little less power than it's big brother but it has no trouble overdriving vintage low gain non master volume tube amps. Since the 70's tube amps have featured hotter preamps and master volumes which allow for more gain/overdrive even from low gain single coils. Later in the 70's dedicated Lead channels with considerably more gain allowed the weakest pickups to roar. AMPS MATTER! In a million ways, but in this case the hotter preamps and high gain Lead channels render the slightly lower output of the mini's moot. It is a non issue.

So, why use a Deluxe?
    TONE! Mini's are better balanced without pushed nasal mids, tighter low end with plenty of thump and chunk without muddy or wooly flub and a sweet chimey high end. Humbucker smoothness and performance with greater clariity. Look at the trend towards low wind PAF type pickups now. It is not just about brute force and ignorance. Lots of applications can be best executed with a Deluxe because of the manageable power, balanced frequency responce and greater clarity, which interfaces beautifully with amps and effects and outboard gear.

The clean tones are just beautiful. 'nuff said.
    I gotta stop and resume dying, The opioids have really kicked in and I'm getting loopier than usual.

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Big Al has ruled.

Court is now adjourned.

Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    Big Al has ruled.

Court is now adjourned.

Yup!

whoops

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Snake View Post
    Mike Ness from Social Distortion
    Yup

The guitar player for the Ohio Players. He does a solo through a solid state amp in this video, it sounds great to me.

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post

The mini may have a little less power than it's big brother but it has no trouble overdriving vintage low gain non master volume tube amps. Since the 70's tube amps have featured hotter preamps and master volumes which allow for more gain/overdrive even from low gain single coils. Later in the 70's dedicated Lead channels with considerably more gain allowed the weakest pickups to roar. AMPS MATTER! In a million ways, but in this case the hotter preamps and high gain Lead channels render the slightly lower output of the mini's moot. It is a non issue.

So, why use a Deluxe?
    TONE! Mini's are better balanced without pushed nasal mids, tighter low end with plenty of thump and chunk without muddy or wooly flub and a sweet chimey high end. Humbucker smoothness and performance with greater clariity. Look at the trend towards low wind PAF type pickups now. It is not just about brute force and ignorance. Lots of applications can be best executed with a Deluxe because of the manageable power, balanced frequency responce and greater clarity, which interfaces beautifully with amps and effects and outboard gear.

The clean tones are just beautiful. 'nuff said.
    I gotta stop and resume dying, The opioids have really kicked in and I'm getting loopier than usual.
    Exactly, these are really very versatile, dynamic guitars. And they still can overdrive early 70s Hiwatt DR103 and they can roar too.

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/deluxe22
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

2014 Gibson Les Paul Special 1960 Custom Shop single cut reissue
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    The guitar player for the Ohio Players. He does a solo through a solid state amp in this video, it sounds great to me.

And he plays great too! Thru an acoustic rig with a horn in the cabinet?!

Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker111 View Post
    Exactly, these are really very versatile, dynamic guitars. And they still can overdrive early 70s Hiwatt DR103 and they can roar too.

https://soundcloud.com/progrocker-2/deluxe22
    Well well said brother ...buzzzzz on!

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

Cal Jackson (RIP) used to play one all over the memphis scene, I had the chance to buy this one in particular or his ES340 (since I could only afford one) when the estate consigned them. Man that deluxe has such a sweet sound though the 340 is holding up just fine.