• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Any one play the Jimmie Vaughan style of blues ?

GibsonPlayer72

Just got jamming to some Jimmie Vaughan . Lot of people don't get him, but Not only do I get what it is he is doing It seems to fit my style.. The old Thunderbirds stuff is really something else I have the first album and there is some massive tone going on , but also his phasing and not choices are not easy to follow at times he is definitely his own person in terms of technique and style.

Just wondered who among you play in this old school style .. seems like the real blues has been lost over the years with blues shreadders .. Not that it's a bad thing as it is just taking it to the next level, but the blues to play in the old school style is just as hard or even more difficult it's definitely a feeling . And to play it well really well is a lost art . especially as we lost so many of the old school blues guitarists and bluesmen over the years.

gmann

Just got jamming to some Jimmie Vaughan . Lot of people don't get him, but Not only do I get what it is he is doing It seems to fit my style.. The old Thunderbirds stuff is really something else I have the first album and there is some massive tone going on , but also his phasing and not choices are not easy to follow at times he is definitely his own person in terms of technique and style.

Just wondered who among you play in this old school style .. seems like the real blues has been lost over the years with blues shreadders .. Not that it's a bad thing as it is just taking it to the next level, but the blues to play in the old school style is just as hard or even more difficult it's definitely a feeling . And to play it well really well is a lost art . especially as we lost so many of the old school blues guitarists and bluesmen over the years.

I'm a huge fan, moreso than an SRV fan. I love playing that style and do it when we do TBirds type stuff or some of his solo stuff. Of course nobody would confuse my playing with his but he's a master at that. It sounds easy, but it's not, not if you like playing it right.

Don

I've said in several threads here that I started playing in the late '70s because of Clapton, but it was Jimmie Vaughan that I was really drawn to by the early '80s. I wore out the first four Fabulous Thunderbirds albums learning those songs! I learned so much from those albums.

I've got a harp playing singer friend who gets into it too. We have a good time!

GibsonPlayer72

Yes indeed ! Jimmie Vaughan is a player you can learn a lot about phrasing from . I know people give him flack for not shreading , but that's not his style . Saw a video of Kenny Wayne Shepard and Hubert Sumlin.. There was a lot of simplicity in Hubert's playing , but it was authentic and it fit the song better then the shreading I saw from KWS . He is awfully good , but felt like he missed the point of what they were doing. I've noted that if SRV was playing with one of the old timers he adapted his style to fit what they were doing .

Steve62

Yes. Love Jimmie's playing, definitely from the less is more camp. Was lucky enough to see the Fabulous Thunderbirds a couple of times when Jimmie was with them, once in Minneapolis and once here in London. Got to see him about a year ago here as well with his own band, a fantastic gig by a master of good taste.
His solo albums are required listening, any player would do well to study his approach to playing, I'm still working on it haha

58plaintopRI

Jimmie, Stevie Ray, Billy Gibbons and Johnny Winter all cite this guy as big influence:

El Gringo

Jimmie Vaughn is a master of the Blues and the guitar ,his tone is to die for and it is not how many notes he plays it is what notes he plays with such feeling and emotion ,lest we forget his most awesome vibrato which really brings it home for me .I have had the pleasure of seeing Jimmie Live with the T-Birds many times and solo many times with his own band and it has been a real pleasure for me watching him ply his craft on his White Blonde (Mary Kay) stratocaster .

GibsonPlayer72

I'm glad I'm not the only one.. I honestly get wore out a bit at jams as it seems many just have to do this shread contest.. I can do it but I find that by slowing down and working on listening my way through the solo it's more solid .. You have to think your way through it and not rush so much and what I find with Jimmie Vaughan he would play with someone like Santana which way different, but still do his style and adapt to whatever the song was I think was my most valuable lesson be you and learn to adapt it to any style of music..

4pie

check out Ronnie Earl then guys! you'll LOVE him too!
that kind of blues is what got me into guitar in the first place !