• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dickey Betts' "Redtop" Goldtop...a bunch of cool pics!

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
A buddy of mine sent me a bunch of pictures of Dickey Betts' "Redtop" Goldtop (in it's present condition) that Dickey used back in the Eat a Peach days and on a ton of live recordings.
This old girl has been through alot! Check out the broken neck and the replaced fingerboard. Thank God the original serial number was preserved!
What a great piece of rock n' roll history!

I wonder what this thing would be worth if it had original parts on it? Anyone care to speculate?

In any event, enjoy the ULTRA COOL pics!!!!

9-XL.jpg

7-XL.jpg

11-M.jpg

13-M.jpg

23-M.jpg

21-M.jpg

31-XL.jpg

32-M.jpg

WBailey

I'm not kidding. These pics actually hurt.

I have very fond memories of seeing/hearing Dickey and Goldie together. :dang

Is this for sale ?

Will it be restored ?

Restored; ONE MILLION DOLLARS !!

CDaughtry

I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I sure hope someone would restore it!:dude:

mistersnappy

If I'm not mistaken, the Goldtop Dickey used from '70-'73 is the Betts/Toler guitar, Ser # 8 1810. That was the FIllmore East/Eat a Peach guitar. There was a different one used on his first solo tour and possibly for the ABB tour '75-'76 that was another Darkback. He got yet another regular brownback one which he used from '77 up to '94 that was painted red. Is this *that* one?

Info on the Betts Toler: http://allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=52798

CDaughtry

You are probably right. I was passing on third hand information from my buddy regarding the era in which Dickey played it.:jim
This one was a darkback...check out the serial number that has been preserved. Thus, it must be the 75-76 era one that you reference.

Mistersnappy...do you happen to have pics of him playing it back when it was red?

It's amazing that its got an almost center seamed top, with great wood on it!

WBailey

Wow ! I didn't even look at the serial !

That ain't Goldie !

I just saw Redtop/ Goldtop in the title.

So, is this the one he gave Toler ?

guitty

The Betts/Toler is still sound and safe, and in great playable condition.
Udo Pipper, who made some great videos of it back in 2005, recently checked out the guitar for some weeks. He said, today it's sounding and playing at least as good, if not better. He suggested, Gibson should make a CC or Signature also of this.
Half of the run like the original Goldtop and the other half like the current Cherryburst (like it looks for about the last 44 years) would come to mind.

Last edited:

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
I think Doug Hoffman is who sprayed the red in this guitar. He used to have some pics on his site . At that time which was probably the late '90's the neck had broken 3 times if I remember correctly. That's the one Gibson did the red sig model of.

mistersnappy

You are probably right. I was passing on third hand information from my buddy regarding the era in which Dickey played it.:jim
This one was a darkback...check out the serial number that has been preserved. Thus, it must be the 75-76 era one that you reference.

Mistersnappy...do you happen to have pics of him playing it back when it was red?

It's amazing that its got an almost center seamed top, with great wood on it!

No, sadly I don't. I was only aware of "Goldie" as being painted red and this apparently isn't it. So, I guess Dickey had two former Goldtops that he painted red? Its a mystery. Maybe Don Butler has some ideas on this. :hmm

goldtop0

Geez that one has been through the ringer for sure:wow

Thanks Charlie.

mistersnappy

Wow ! I didn't even look at the serial !

That ain't Goldie !

I just saw Redtop/ Goldtop in the title.

So, is this the one he gave Toler ?

No, this is a different one. Check the link I posted earlier to the ABB site- thats the Betts/Toler Lester. :salude

bsteff666

Wow. Dickey's Goldtop would be one of the holiest
grails to me. Would love to see this restored.

I always believed it was the one he played in the early
90's that became the redtop.

This one.
http://youtu.be/G1jpQu6qR1E

This performance is a little loose in spots...but I love the tone Dickey gets from that Goldtop.

MapleFlame

Yeah this needs a ton of work, doesn't look braz, inlays awful, binding and frets yikes. I've restored worse, so there's hope with this one. Top wood is really dirty. Body binding ridge smaller.

Last edited:

DHBucker

Looks like a job for Kim at Historic Makeovers to me. If anyone could get this guitar back to fighting trim he could.

CDaughtry

As is, without any restoration, hypothetically speaking, what would you pay for it?

Without the Dickie panache, is it worth...10-15k?

With the Dickie vibe.....30k?

What say you ABB fans?:spabout

burstone

With or without Dickie vibe, 10K tops if you twist my arm and jab me with a needle. :spabout
Too many issues even though it has a cool looking top.