• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dickey Betts' "Redtop" Goldtop...a bunch of cool pics!

BlueSkyBurst

Great job Kim & Team at HM! That Top was a nice surprise, and Bursting it, IMO, was the right call.
I still believe Dickey owned it at one time, since I too recall Dickey spray painting a GT Red!

Last edited:

AVGDeluxe

I am glad in some ways that Kim posted all the pics of its restoration ...I will be posting videos and more pics of it tomorrow ....cause it made it safely home to Atlanta and I am hoping the owner is well enough to come see it ! Greg

sws1

I re-read the thread and am still not sure which Dickey guitar this is. I think I understood is not Goldie, nor the Toler burst, not that red guitar played in that video on the previous page. Or is it?

DANELECTRO

That husk looked like it had been run over by the bus. Neck breaks are one thing, but the body was broken into two? Nice save!

marshall1987

Wow! :salude. Incredible restoration of a war-weary time traveler! In the hands of an expert, no wrecked vintage guitar is unsalvageable.

I can't even begin to speculate on how much labor (man-hours) was required to complete this job. But it had to be more than 100 hours. :2cool

Groover

Cool looking guitar now irrespective of its history. Unplayable before but not anymore :peace2

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
https://reverb.com/item/29884532-19...rd-goldtop-to-sunburst-conversion-restoration

It was an interesting project, and a real restoration tour-de-force, so congrats on that! However, that price has no discernible contact with reality...

I know of a super-duper '58 GT to burst conversion, with all original parts and case, and no prior repairs, that went for a hair over $50K a few months ago--and everyone agreed that was ALL the money. It was worth it to the buyer because it really was one-of-a-kind stupendous!

This guitar is not that.

AVGDeluxe

Re: Dickey Betts' "Redtop" Goldtop..Here is some audio and video

I know a lot of folks may be kinda hating on me for the price posted on Reverb for this one ...however this maybe one of the most unique Les Pauls out there ....if you can not afford it ..as I always say do not buy it ..
most of the ones I see in the 75-80 K range have new necks ..non original serial numbers and no mojo or flame to the tops ...this one is kinda peekaboo and in your face at the same time ...one of the last Goldtops
and one of the first Center Seam Flame Tops ...this is one of the ones where they said why are we painting this one ?? To add 10,000.00 pickup rings, and a set of PAF's that could not sound as good as these do ...cause these Tom Holmes are at least 10 years old and were specially wound for some well known guitar slingers ....here is a video played by a guy who knows his bursts ...Spencer Kirkpatrick, he used to own 9-1880 which is now owned by Billy Squier, enjoy and please no hate ...life is too short ! Somebody is going to get a great guitar !! www.facebook.com/gregoryleeh...8146755374726/

Doc Sausage

That's a lot of clams.....:hmm

Agreed. This guitar reminds me a bit of the impeachment hearings. A lot of second and third hand information that may be of more interest to the selling party, more than the buying party. Then throw in a makeover. It looks nice but $118K?

Arnold M.

Agreed. This guitar reminds me a bit of the impeachment hearings. A lot of second and third hand information that may be of more interest to the selling party, more than the buying party. Then throw in a makeover. It looks nice but $118K?

This is obviously over-simplified but it reminds me of a beat up vintage car restoration .. new bondo, paint, interior etc. still doesn't equal a prized specimen .. other than the association with Mr. Betts which I understand is a topic of much debate I don't see enough to justify the price .. but hey, I'm certainly no expert .. only my humble two cents worth

T.Allen

I know a lot of folks may be kinda hating on me for the price posted on Reverb for this one ...however this maybe one of the most unique Les Pauls out there ....if you can not afford it ..as I always say do not buy it ..
most of the ones I see in the 75-80 K range have new necks ..non original serial numbers and no mojo or flame to the tops ...this one is kinda peekaboo and in your face at the same time ...one of the last Goldtops
and one of the first Center Seam Flame Tops ...this is one of the ones where they said why are we painting this one ?? To add 10,000.00 pickup rings, and a set of PAF's that could not sound as good as these do ...cause these Tom Holmes are at least 10 years old and were specially wound for some well known guitar slingers ....here is a video played by a guy who knows his bursts ...Spencer Kirkpatrick, he used to own 9-1880 which is now owned by Billy Squier, enjoy and please no hate ...life is too short ! Somebody is going to get a great guitar !! www.facebook.com/gregoryleeh...8146755374726/

It is not a matter of affordability. There are many members here that can afford it. A nice, unmolested 57-58 Goldtop runs anywhere from $80K to $125K typical asking price. But, strip it, burst it and it becomes maybe a $40K to $60K guitar (all the money) with original parts and no breaks. The Betts connection doesn't add much unless it was just the way it was when he owned it. It came out beautiful, but nobody can ignore what it is and what it isn't.

Just my humble opinion. Best of luck with the sale.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

....if you can not afford it ..as I always say do not buy it ..

No need to say anything, since … if you can't afford it, you can't possibly buy it. :ganz