The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Dickey Betts' "Redtop" Goldtop...a bunch of cool pics!

A buddy of mine sent me a bunch of pictures of Dickey Betts' "Redtop" Goldtop (in it's present condition) that Dickey used back in the Eat a Peach days and on a ton of live recordings.
    This old girl has been through alot! Check out the broken neck and the replaced fingerboard. Thank God the original serial number was preserved!
    What a great piece of rock n' roll history!

I wonder what this thing would be worth if it had original parts on it? Anyone care to speculate?

In any event, enjoy the ULTRA COOL pics!!!!

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Dickey Betts' "Redtop" Goldtop...a bunch of cool pics!

I'm not kidding. These pics actually hurt.

I have very fond memories of seeing/hearing Dickey and Goldie together.

Is this for sale ?

Will it be restored ?

Restored; ONE MILLION DOLLARS !!

I don't know the answer to either of those questions. I sure hope someone would restore it!

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

If I'm not mistaken, the Goldtop Dickey used from '70-'73 is the Betts/Toler guitar, Ser # 8 1810. That was the FIllmore East/Eat a Peach guitar. There was a different one used on his first solo tour and possibly for the ABB tour '75-'76 that was another Darkback. He got yet another regular brownback one which he used from '77 up to '94 that was painted red. Is this *that* one?

Info on the Betts Toler: http://allmanbrothersband.com/module...read&tid=52798
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

You are probably right. I was passing on third hand information from my buddy regarding the era in which Dickey played it.
    This one was a darkback...check out the serial number that has been preserved. Thus, it must be the 75-76 era one that you reference.

Mistersnappy...do you happen to have pics of him playing it back when it was red?

It's amazing that its got an almost center seamed top, with great wood on it!

Les Paul Forum Member

Wow ! I didn't even look at the serial !

That ain't Goldie !

I just saw Redtop/ Goldtop in the title.

So, is this the one he gave Toler ?

Les Paul Forum Member

The Betts/Toler is still sound and safe, and in great playable condition.
    Udo Pipper, who made some great videos of it back in 2005, recently checked out the guitar for some weeks. He said, today it's sounding and playing at least as good, if not better. He suggested, Gibson should make a CC or Signature also of this.
    Half of the run like the original Goldtop and the other half like the current Cherryburst (like it looks for about the last 44 years) would come to mind.
    Last edited by guitty; 10-29-15 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks for sharing, Charlie.

All Access/Backstage Pass Mark Kane's Avatar

I think Doug Hoffman is who sprayed the red in this guitar. He used to have some pics on his site . At that time which was probably the late '90's the neck had broken 3 times if I remember correctly. That's the one Gibson did the red sig model of.
    "Buried Alive in the Blues"

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    You are probably right. I was passing on third hand information from my buddy regarding the era in which Dickey played it.
    This one was a darkback...check out the serial number that has been preserved. Thus, it must be the 75-76 era one that you reference.

Mistersnappy...do you happen to have pics of him playing it back when it was red?

It's amazing that its got an almost center seamed top, with great wood on it!
    No, sadly I don't. I was only aware of "Goldie" as being painted red and this apparently isn't it. So, I guess Dickey had two former Goldtops that he painted red? Its a mystery. Maybe Don Butler has some ideas on this.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

Geez that one has been through the ringer for sure

Thanks Charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by WBailey View Post
    Wow ! I didn't even look at the serial !

That ain't Goldie !

I just saw Redtop/ Goldtop in the title.

So, is this the one he gave Toler ?
    No, this is a different one. Check the link I posted earlier to the ABB site- thats the Betts/Toler Lester.

Les Paul Forum Member bsteff666's Avatar

Wow. Dickey's Goldtop would be one of the holiest
    grails to me. Would love to see this restored.

I always believed it was the one he played in the early
    90's that became the redtop.

This one.
    http://youtu.be/G1jpQu6qR1E

This performance is a little loose in spots...but I love the tone Dickey gets from that Goldtop.
    We gone get on down now.

Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar

Yeah this needs a ton of work, doesn't look braz, inlays awful, binding and frets yikes. I've restored worse, so there's hope with this one. Top wood is really dirty. Body binding ridge smaller.
    Last edited by MapleFlame; 10-29-15 at 09:07 AM.
    Top carves are sexy

Looks like a job for Kim at Historic Makeovers to me. If anyone could get this guitar back to fighting trim he could.

"On a good day (I know it ain't everyday), we can part the sea. On a bad day (I know it's not everyday), glory beyond our reach."

"If you can't dig on Esther well you'd better leave town, cause if you think she's bad you oughta see her sister."
    Billy F. Gibbons

"As the man says, all the southern children like to rock & roll!!" Chris Robinson.

"With a song in my heart, and an attitude from the start, I took everybody apart to see how they worked." Steve Earle.

Les Paul Forum Member 66SuperTremMKIV's Avatar

Joe Glaser or Dan Erlwhine also would do a great job.

https://youtu.be/EA0LtElaUIo

All you really need - Old Marshall Plexi, Ragged 4x12 Cab / Celestion Greenback Pulsonic Cones, 1x Great LP.

YIKES!!!!

As is, without any restoration, hypothetically speaking, what would you pay for it?

Without the Dickie panache, is it worth...10-15k?

With the Dickie vibe.....30k?

What say you ABB fans?

With or without Dickie vibe, 10K tops if you twist my arm and jab me with a needle.
    Too many issues even though it has a cool looking top.
    Some things just have to be believed to be seen.

Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar

You trying to buy, CD?
    GuitarMikey

As is, without any restoration, hypothetically speaking, what would you pay for it?

Without the Dickie panache, is it worth...10-15k?

With the Dickie vibe.....30k?

What say you ABB fans?
    Any parts included?? When linked with D, it definitely adds value, but it would be better with the parts he had on it. It would be worth alot restored red. Sad that it's in this state. I see bigs holes. Also looks to have been painted Gold over Red, thus may be the reason top is so dirty.
    Top carves are sexy

Quote Originally Posted by MapleFlame View Post
    Any parts included?? When linked with D, it definitely adds value, but it would be better with the parts he had on it. It would be worth alot restored red. Sad that it's in this state. I see bigs holes. Also looks to have been painted Gold over Red, thus may be the reason top is so dirty.

Well since we're just doing this hypothetically, let's assume "as is" with no parts included. Any guess on value?

Les Paul Forum Member

How is this guitar related to Dickey ? Has anyone seen him play a '58 painted red ?

Just another one he picked up ? Does Dickey own it, and having it refin ?

It is not Goldie. It is not the Toler. It is not the '57 used for the signature model.

Is there any provenance at all ?

I think the real question is, what's a '58 husk worth ?

Les Paul Forum Member

I like buying projects and I tried to buy this one but the owner was asking way too much for me . He did claim it to be the Betts Goldtop but had no proof only a tale which I did not add any value to. The guitar is really busted up even the maple top has been split in a few places and looks like the headstock was busted off around the nut . The only good thing is the back of the headstock still had finish and the serial number so it a 58 goldtop as far as I could tell. I offered 17500.00 cash for it and was turned down flat . The guitar whomever it did belong to has had a very rough life and been very abused and will need a lot of counseling.

Les Paul Forum Member

Top looks cool, but my biggest concern is the multiple brake neck and the fretboard itself, whatever that is.
    If I were to buy it, I'd probably give it a full new neck. Some guys can do magic restoring it.
    Felipe Nacif

I have all the missing parts for this, and a '61 fretboard. He should sell it to me. Seriously.

Vibey top, center seam... the beat to sh*t ones often play great- could be a contender in the right hands...

I take it that it's not this one.

Here's my thing, it has a scarf joint, how do we know that the top part is actually original guitar. It could be from something else. Doesn't make sense to replace the top with the original neck if it's purpose was to fix with new piece. There's an awful lot of over sanding in many areas which has compromised the shape. I think I remember seeing this guitar a while back, I'm almost certain I tried to make an offer. This isn't worth that much without any documentation.
    Top carves are sexy

I understand, although it's second hand information, that it is currently owned by one of the inner sanctum guys with the ABB, and that Dickie has verified it was his, and is willing to authenticate it.
    I have also heard that the current owner thinks it is worth WAY more money than I think any of us here think it is.
    So the long and the short of it is, I think it's technically for sale, but realistically it is not...if that makes any sense.

That would also jive with what STROKER said above.

Quote Originally Posted by sws1 View Post
    I take it that it's not this one.

The busy, non-original inlays in this pic, look a lot like the busy, non-original inlays in the guitar we are talking about.

Let's put it the other way around, how much would it cost to restore a husk like this? And how much would you pay once it is restored? That could give you an idea of the actual value...

Another view...looks like a different guitar than the one in OP. Look at the mark between pups and grain on top. BUT, same busy inlays.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Oye!! I showed this thread to Warren last night.. He just shook his head. Dickey's son Duane was there last night as well. He has a hard time keeping up Dad's guitars I think..
    From my recollection, this is what I know.
    Dickey gave Duane the SG/LP when he bought his first Goldtop. That one had a Bigsby shadow. there was another GT that was bought around the time Duane was killed. I'm not sure if that's the one that went to Gibson and was refinished in Cherry Sunburst or if it was his first GT. When I saw the "Five Man ABB" in mid-`72 he used a GT and the burst. I seem to recall he used the GT for slide and the Burst for regular lead work.
    After Great Southern fused into the Bros., Dickey played a GT as he gave Danny the Burst. I know Dickey had a few GT's as there was one that had a bad bridge that he thought it was bad guitar and threw it in the trash. Reddog fished it out, took it home and fixed it and brought it to rehearsal the next day. Dickey got mad at Dog and put it back in the trash bin telling him it was bad guitar and he didn't want to see it again. Dog took it home and I'm betting it stayed there until he need some money for his illness's a few years back. (He passed away in Feb. 2011). I'm not entirely sure what he's had, but I know in the early `90's he bought a `56 or early `57 GT with P-90's. His then tech, the late Troy Venible installed a pair of humbuckings without having to rout out any wood. That guitar was his backup guitar for a while but now resides in the R`n R HoF in Cleveland and has been there for at least a decade. I know back in the `90's he took the main GT and stripped it and had it sprayed Red. He's had all these other signature guitars and stuff to use, but I'm betting he keeps his old guitars at home these days. I'll ask Duane the next time I see him. He lives most of the time here in L.A. but has been out playing with a band named "Dawes" but also has his own deal and whenever he goes to Jacksonville, Fla. he plays with Berry Oakley (Jr.)'s band.
    Anyway...if this GT/Redtop was the guitar he played for a number of years, I simply can not understand why he stripped it and had it refinished. I played it a number of times back in the `90's and it was a really nice playing and great sounding guitar.I would have left well enough alone. I always thought that this was the Fillmore East guitar..
    Does anyone know iof there are Bigsby holes on the bottom end that have been plugged/filled or maybe just left alone? If there is evidence of a Bigsby then this is the Fillmore guitar most likely.

Les Paul Forum Member

So if Duane was there last night, would it not have been easier to have him call dad and settle this ?

Like; hey dad, do you still have Goldie ?

Digga ever have a '58 goldtop painted red ?

quote; If there is evidence of a Bigsby then this is the Fillmore guitar most likely. Wrong serial number.

Les Paul Forum Member Beano Geno's Avatar

This one looks like it was thrown in the trash bin more than once. Sad condition if it is the Filmore guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Does anyone know iof there are Bigsby holes on the bottom end that have been plugged/filled or maybe just left alone? If there is evidence of a Bigsby then this is the Fillmore guitar most likely.
    That would be a very important detail for the Fillmore guitar. Here are more pics of the BEtts/Toler: http://burstserial.com/gallery/main....8+1810/&var2=2 He played that ex-Bigsby Goldtop pretty much every pic I've seen from '71-including FIllmore East March '71.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistersnappy View Post
    That would be a very important detail for the FIllmore guitar. Here are more pics: http://burstserial.com/gallery/main....8+1810/&var2=2
    But the guitar in the OP is almost center seamed.

Quote Originally Posted by WBailey View Post
    But the guitar in the OP is almost center seamed.
    Oh, I know. I was just focusing on what Don had said about the Bigsby'd one and was seeing if there was evidence of a former Bigsby on the Betts/Toler. I wish there was a pic of the strap button area for that guitar!

Les Paul Forum Member

The OP guitar seems to have the snake bites.