• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which new pots most like a vintage centralab?

Nick-O

On my 3rd set, and I usually avoid stuff that is getting the push, but man, they feel and sound great. If you are thinking about it or needing to replace pots, this is a solid choice. Sebastian is good people.

ChevChelios

On my 3rd set, and I usually avoid stuff that is getting the push, but man, they feel and sound great. If you are thinking about it or needing to replace pots, this is a solid choice. Sebastian is good people.

Nick, thanks a lot! I'm so humbled by the responses I am getting re. the VIPots. It is truly fascinating how a (initially) simple idea eventually turned into the "real thing". Took a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, but I cannot tell you how happy I am when I hear that my stuff's helped someone finding their tone :salude

Dave P

Thanks for the info. I got some from Amazon sitting on my shelf now! Just make real sure you use a Q-tip to wash it off (water) and do it SEVERAL times. It WILL continue to eat metal if not washed! I AM concerned on the PEC pots still that if it gets under the edge on the top you may induce problems though. I will dab it on VERY sparingly.

And the warning also covers all flux. You really should cleanse the areas after soldering. It won't eat a hole or anything (unless you go WAY overboard) but it will etch the surface a lot before evaporating enough it stops. The rule in the shop is parts need to be washed at the end of the day.

If it can etch SS, it has to be potent stuff. Of course as a warning to anyone who hasn't done this kind stuff before, use extreme caution working with it. If you don't feel comfortable working with it, don't.

fernieite

Well, I finally got my act together and installed my set of Vipots. I like them very much!
applause.gif

One pair tested at 520K and the other at 513K. I put the higher value ones as the volumes. I would definitely buy these again if ever needed.
dude.gif

EpiLP1985

I've been eye-ing the components over at Emerson Custom and finally reached out to them the other day. I was mostly interested in their proprietary taper but also their Push/Pull pots, as my go to wiring has always been Series/Parallel Neck HB and Reverse Phase Bridge HB (both push pulls on the tone controls).

Turns out that besides being fairly priced and looking rugged, they have the 30% audio taper. Furthermore, their push pull pots have the same 30% taper, which I thought was extra cool. I was drawn to them initially by the clean and neat wiring harnesses they were selling and i'll be grabbing a full set of components for the new guitar this winter.

gio

Well after really disliking the taper in my Custom Shop SG, I decided to give the ViPots a whirl. Just preordered 4 of them to try them. Worth a shot. I’m wondering if I just like the taper on linear pots better. But I’m excited to give these a go!

ChevChelios

To everyone who pre-ordered a set of VIPots: I finally have them back in stock and the pre-orders will ship tomorrow. :dude:

renderit

Another shoutout to VIPots. Also, on top of the PEC's being ridiculous expensive they are heavier by far than the VIPots.

TM1

I have a contact in Toronto who is an engineer at Pratt & Whitney and they buy their pots direct from Precision Electronics (also in Toronto)... I was going to have them build some pots to my specs (basically George Alessandro's specs but 550k instead of 500k) and was wondering if anyone else might be interested in getting some as well... if there is enough interest I might be able to set something up, I have no idea what the cost will be, probably in the $25-$35 range... :hmm
I’d be interested in getting a set of 4 just to see how they compare.. keep me apprised. Cheers!

gio

Just installed VIPots in the two volumes of my custom shop SG. So far so good. The taper is a hit of an improvement. They turn easier. But the main thing I’ve noticed is the clarity and articulation. It was subtle st first. But then I swapped the original pots back in and it muddied it up a bit. So I’m happy with the.

I have two more. Considering putting them in the volumes of my Knopfler. But may just finish off the tones in the SG to have a complete set of 4 there.

What I’ve learned from all this is that I may actually prefer linear taper. But it’s nice to have a LP with linear and one with audio. They act differently and sound differently.

TM1

I just got 3 sets! I have three others in guitars and I really am impressed with the clarity and the taper! It's like the old Centralabs. Now I don't need to buy old entralabs like I've done for the last 20 years..

ChevChelios

What I’ve learned from all this is that I may actually prefer linear taper. But it’s nice to have a LP with linear and one with audio. They act differently and sound differently.

I totally get that. For me, I somehow prefer linear taper pots in my Telecasters as volume pots. But in my Gibson (style) guitars, I "need" the vintage audio taper :salude

zombiwoof

Any plans to offer Fender values in the ViP pots?. I see they only have 550k. Also, vintage Juniors used a 250k tone pot, so they would be good for those Gibsons.
Al

ChevChelios

Any plans to offer Fender values in the ViP pots?. I see they only have 550k. Also, vintage Juniors used a 250k tone pot, so they would be good for those Gibsons.
Al

I actually started thinking about making a 250k version of the VIPots. But then people will ask for split/solid shaft options, etc. ... if I design a 250k VIPot, it's going to be a 3/8" split shaft version that can be used in Juniors/Specials as well as Strats. We'll see.