The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member ChevChelios's Avatar

Re: Which new pots most like a vintage centralab?

Quote Originally Posted by P.Walker View Post
    So these are made by clement and bournes as the literature seems to indicate?
    Sorry for not responding to this earlier, but yes, I have these custom made by Bourns.

Quote Originally Posted by P.Walker View Post
    One thing I learned is that the taper of the originals, which these repros are attempting to replicate, are more drastic than the US counterparts (which I assume he means CTS). Yet in the case of RS superpots for example, they say it was made because they found the CTS pots too steep and drastic and thus their final taper is between let's say cts audio and linear. Very confusing. What gives?
    We've analyzed a whole bunch of original Centralab pots from the 50s (plus the pots in my own vintage Gibsons as an example for the pots in their "natural" environment) and even though their values varied quite a bit, the taper was almost perfectly identical for all tested vintage pots.
    When you've owned a vintage Gibson with Centralabs, you know (and appreciate) the pretty steep drop off around 8(ish). Guys like JD Simo use this feature a lot as the "boost switch" of the guitar.

I really, really like my VIPots. They don't break the bank, feel and behave exactly like the Centralabs in my old guitars and are really easy to solder.

I've been getting quite a few of those: "I recently ordered a pair of VIP Pots and a NOS Cap from your online store. Like with many vintage Gibsons, the old Centralab pots start to degrade and the hunting for original pots gets expensive. My '63 SG Junior was in need of new pots so I stumbled across your site and decided to give them a try. As soon as I got the harness together and plugged it in, I was instantly satisfied. You guys completely nailed the taper and feel of a real Centralab. Can't thank you enough and I am extremely happy, as is the original P90 pickup!"
    www.vintageinspiredpickups.com
    cryo-tuned PAF style humbucker pickups

Quote Originally Posted by ChevChelios View Post
    Sorry for not responding to this earlier, but yes, I have these custom made by Bourns.

We've analyzed a whole bunch of original Centralab pots from the 50s (plus the pots in my own vintage Gibsons as an example for the pots in their "natural" environment) and even though their values varied quite a bit, the taper was almost perfectly identical for all tested vintage pots.
    When you've owned a vintage Gibson with Centralabs, you know (and appreciate) the pretty steep drop off around 8(ish). Guys like JD Simo use this feature a lot as the "boost switch" of the guitar.

I really, really like my VIPots. They don't break the bank, feel and behave exactly like the Centralabs in my old guitars and are really easy to solder.

I've been getting quite a few of those: "I recently ordered a pair of VIP Pots and a NOS Cap from your online store. Like with many vintage Gibsons, the old Centralab pots start to degrade and the hunting for original pots gets expensive. My '63 SG Junior was in need of new pots so I stumbled across your site and decided to give them a try. As soon as I got the harness together and plugged it in, I was instantly satisfied. You guys completely nailed the taper and feel of a real Centralab. Can't thank you enough and I am extremely happy, as is the original P90 pickup!"
    Wow. Thanks for the info. So it seems the originals have a steeper taper than regular CTS audio taper 500k pots.

So when discussing how steep the taper is, I assume the order is (from most steep to least steep)

1. originals = VIP pots
    2. regular CTS audio taper 500k
    3. RS super pots
    4. regular CTS linear pots.

The steeper the pot is, the more easy it is to fine tune clean up with a loud amp and other fuzz boxes I assume.

Les Paul Forum Member

I got a set of these for my 335, and while the clarity is nice, the taper on the volume SUCKS. Everything happens between 10 and 8, then it's inaudible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-CTS-TAOT...wAAOSw3ZtaLtn2

Has anyone tried these, and can recommend something similar, but with a better taper that's not TOO pricey? The VIP pots mentioned below sounded interesting until he mentioned:

"When you've owned a vintage Gibson with Centralabs, you know (and appreciate) the pretty steep drop off around 8(ish). Guys like JD Simo use this feature a lot as the "boost switch" of the guitar."

That seems like the issue I'm trying to AVOID.

Look for linear taper CTS or Bourns pots.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JimFog View Post
    I got a set of these for my 335, and while the clarity is nice, the taper on the volume SUCKS. Everything happens between 10 and 8, then it's inaudible.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-CTS-TAOT...wAAOSw3ZtaLtn2

Has anyone tried these, and can recommend something similar, but with a better taper that's not TOO pricey? The VIP pots mentioned below sounded interesting until he mentioned:

"When you've owned a vintage Gibson with Centralabs, you know (and appreciate) the pretty steep drop off around 8(ish). Guys like JD Simo use this feature a lot as the "boost switch" of the guitar."

That seems like the issue I'm trying to AVOID.
    E-gads! I have the same problem as you. I always thought that the drop off around eight was due to the pots not being like vintage . I was confused about all the different types of tapers in different brands of pots out there. I thought audio taper was better. I purchased a set of those VIP pots when I saw them on Reverb a few days ago before I saw this recent post about them . Iím afraid I made a mistake now because Iíve been looking for the same thing you are, that is, I want a nice gradual taper in volume without the steep drop off. I still want better clarity and feel ( not too loose or too tight) . I contacted The Art of Tone Guy and he would not send me a matched set ( all 500K or better) so I opted for these VIPpots. The PEC pots that another member recommended look great but the owner of the company must have been reading this thread because between late last year and now they more than doubled in price! Also they might be a PITA to solder. Bourns has a guitar pot which is also very pricey but Iím sure they are great quality.

Les Paul Forum Member

Took it to my tech today, and he put in a very mild treble bleed circuit ( 680pf cap & 220k resistor) and voilŗ!!.......the taper is excellent now, all the way through the range of the pot, but without any of that typical "glassiness" that intense treble bleeds can cause. These are the Art of Tone CTS pots I linked, above.

Give it a shot.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

My thing has not been so much the taper but the material of the tracks as the old Central pots retained clarity as you turned them down. Almost all of the pots in my guitars, with the exception of my Travis Bean (uses long shaft)are vintage Centralabs. So what's the material of the Tracks, are they exactly the same as the old pots?
    Can anyone answer that?

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

(Also they might be a PITA to solder) I had no problem with the Pec's I installed .
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

I just ordered 4 pots from VIP. I'll give them a shot. I have some 1953 IRC's in my R-4 Standard that make a little noise. Price is right..

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    I just ordered 4 pots from VIP. I'll give them a shot. I have some 1953 IRC's in my R-4 Standard that make a little noise. Price is right..
    I'd appreciate any reviews

I installed the set into my 2007 R-4. It was originally a Goldtop but I sent it to Historic Makeovers and the first time Dave did a great job, but after about 4 years Kim had me send it back to him in Florida as by that time they could do the top carve and reshape the neck and had the right body and neck binding material, Inlays and a nice piece of Brazilian.
    I've had a set of IRC 500k pots from 1956 until today. I installed the VIP's and was pleasantly surprised/impressed. They are very clear sounding on a whole. I don't mind the taper at all as all my other pots in my other Gibson's are Centralab's and are similar tapers. I think that once they get used a bit that the taper will ease up..
    They are easy to solder to on the backs. My only suggestion would be to have the lugs a bit longer and the holes in the lugs slightly larger. But sonically I'm hearing a bigger Freq. response and a lot more clarity than the IRC's which GIBSON used from the late '40's until 1955/56'. A definite improvement!
    certainly worth every cent I paid!

Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar

When do you think you will have long shaft versions of these?

Thanks Jimmy

I hope I'll have long shaft VIPots in about 2 months.

Hey there... so I am ready to try these because I still havent found anything just like my old Centralabs with taper and feel... couple questions first... in the past Ive used Bournes because they were very loose turning like old Centralabs (cant stand stiff pots!!!)... but the quality sucked... solder them a couple times and they are shot... are these better made?... Thick carbon traces like the originals?... Easy turning like the originals?... Happy to hear they have the correct taper... THANKS!
    Climb down off the hilltop... Get back in the race.
    Allman Brothers Tribute Band http://www.seventurns.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Ed A View Post
    ... but the quality sucked... solder them a couple times and they are shot... are these better made?
    I've done the testing myself, re-soldering the VIPots five times in a 57 Les Paul wiring, switching positions every time (so that every pot got a good portion of heat to the cover) and all pots worked just fine. However: You'll have to turn them down to 0. If you keep them open or somewhere in between, you'll kill the trace when applying too much heat. Also, always use a chisel soldering tip and a 40+W iron. However, that's true for all pots.

My logo on the back is not (just) cosmetic, it's also helping a lot with soldering the ground connections onto the cover. Aka, less heat exposure, less damage to the pot. I've only heard from one guy who burned a VIPot, and he had used a pencil soldering tip with an overpowered soldering station. When he used the "correct" heat and a chisel tip, it worked like a charm.

Thick carbon traces like the originals?... Easy turning like the originals?... Happy to hear they have the correct taper...
    Thick carbon traces = no. Easy(er) turning/torque like the originals (when they were new) = yes.

I've done the testing myself, re-soldering the VIPots five times in a 57 Les Paul wiring, switching positions every time (so that every pot got a good portion of heat to the cover) and all pots worked just fine. However: You'll have to turn them down to 0. If you keep them open or somewhere in between, you'll kill the trace when applying too much heat. Also, always use a chisel soldering tip and a 40+W iron. However, that's true for all pots.

My logo on the back is not (just) cosmetic, it's also helping a lot with soldering the ground connections onto the cover. Aka, less heat exposure, less damage to the pot. I've only heard from one guy who burned a VIPot, and he had used a pencil soldering tip with an overpowered soldering station. When he used the "correct" heat and a chisel tip, it worked like a charm.

Thick carbon traces = no. Easy(er) turning/torque like the originals (when they were new) = yes.
    Thanks. Will give them a try.
    Climb down off the hilltop... Get back in the race.
    Allman Brothers Tribute Band http://www.seventurns.net/

Les Paul Forum Member

Try Marks Guitar Loft , the have a wired harness with 500K pots and Bumble Bee caps and this is sonic heaven for your Les Paul .I know because I bought one for my Les Paul Custom and it just sings now .Talk about tone !

Thanks Chev I'm going to try a set also........they're very reasonably priced

ED; I think you'll like these pots! I bought a second set and put them into my 2003 FB VII. I set it up with 3 Volumes and a Master Tone. I can blend the middle pickup in with the neck & bridge or have all three on at once. Works very nice, the sound is clear/clean and with it's trio of of early Sixties Gibson/Silvertone Mini's has never sounded so clear and sweet!
    I'm going to buy a set for my mahogany Tele with another old Gibson/Silvertone mini in the neck and a Klein Broadcaster in the bridge.

So, I take it the tracks are silk-screened? I've heard of some pots being double- and triple-screened for durability and longevity. Is that the case here?

Les Paul Forum Member

>> Cream Fan
    >> TM1
    If you like, you are attached to centralab and it seems to be detailed, so I have a question.
    What kind of opinion do you have about centralab manufactured in the seventies?
    Do you still have elements that are different from centralab manufactured in 50s and 60s?

https://www.lespaulforum.com/pots/morepots.html

↑ If you look at 70s centralabís elements carbon track you can see enough thickness.
    However, although the content of the ďleadĒ component is unknown.

I have no experience with Centralab pots from the 70s.

Les Paul Forum Member

Sorry for the late reply but I have been sick for the last 3 weeks. I dunno if anyone will be able to see this picture but I plotted the taper on these VIP pots along with some old Gibson 90's Historic pots. I think you have to click on the picture to enlarge it. It appears that the VIP pots are a two segment linear approximation of an audio taper. It is interesting that the old 90's pots are the reverse of the VIP taper (reverse audio taper). Keep in mind that I'm not saying anything is wrong about either design. I have not yet installed them so I can't comment on how they sound. If anyone would like to post the measurements of your vintage Centralabs or any other type, I can plot them on this comparison chart easily. Just send me the data. I measured them on a Fluke True RMS DMM while they were uninstalled. Don't measure while they are still in circuit, as I'm not sure the results will be consistent or accurate. I was careful not to touch the meter leads because this can change the resistance values. I installed one of the nuts, then the pointer (thumb splitter) and then another nut to lock it in place. Next I positioned the pointer and installed the knob so that pos 0 lined up with the pointer. From there I took readings at each stop.

Here is a good write up on types of pot tapers: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=227724&sid=019d1e51578c91c14deff64b21691a3c

Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by 1LT; 04-03-18 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added link to article

That taper is called "Straight-Line Audio Taper" and is exactly what the old Centralabs had. A Really big drop from 10 to 8 and then a gentle slope to Zero. That is what makes the vintage pots so wonderful to use. Your guitar becomes the gain controller. It cleans up abruptly and is still loud. When you want that grind you turn it up and burn. Too many people don't get this, and think they want a smooth taper all the way down. With that you merely end up with the same tone at a lower volume, instead of the versatile tool the Centralabs are. I'm just really pleased someone finally took the time and expense to resurrect these pots.

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Fan View Post
    So, I take it the tracks are silk-screened? I've heard of some pots being double- and triple-screened for durability and longevity. Is that the case here?
    Sorry for the late reply. The carbon track is ink molded on a phenolic resin base. I'm not aware of multiple layers. The VIPots are tested for a rotational life of > 15k rotations. That'll take a bit

Les Paul Forum Member bsteff666's Avatar

I am a 50's Junior & Special guy. So those old Centralabs are my favorite pots.
    Love the taper & the way they react. Love the smooth feel & easy turn. That easy adjustability is for me...essential for getting all the clean to dirty variations on the fly while playing. Stiff pots just don't work for me.

I picked up a set of 4 VIP pots a month or two ago. They all read strong...all ranging somewhere between 535 & 515.

As Chev mentioned...they are meant to feel like the Centralabs when they were new. So they still felt just a little bit too stiff for me.

I opened them up & soaked them in Naphtha. (I believe there is a lubricant inside that to me gums them up a little...I needed to get rid of that)

I also gave them a few spins in my drill.

Now they feel perfect to me. Very much like my old worn in Centralabs. This is just my preference...how I like them to feel.

I've been so busy...but I finally got them wired up into a harness last weekend. Paired them up with some nice old Sprague Vitamin Q caps.

Hopefully I will get the harness into a guitar this weekend.
    We gone get on down now.

Les Paul Forum Member Mars Hall's Avatar

Iím very happy to say that the VIpots are the best Iíve ever heard. They achieved the goal of recreating the sound, tone, taper and clarity of the Centralab pots. BRAVO! I installed with Luxe Bumblebee repro caps. Iím totally thrilled!
    "What's that man movin' cross the stage?
    It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page..." Paul McCartney

Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Hall View Post
    Iím very happy to say that the VIpots are the best Iíve ever heard. They achieved the goal of recreating the sound, tone, taper and clarity of the Centralab pots. BRAVO! I installed with Luxe Bumblebee repro caps. Iím totally thrilled!

Cool Jerry

As soon as the long shaft ones come out I will buy a set!

Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Hall View Post
    Thanks a lot for the endorsement I'm glad you like the VIPots as much as I do.

Re. the long shaft pots: ETA for the new delivery is in approx. 12 weeks. I'll put the word out as soon as they are here (and thoroughly tested by myself).

Les Paul Forum Member

Do these make a difference in the tone pot spots? Looking to replace the volume pots, but would rather not have to rewire all 4 pots.

Quote Originally Posted by JLee View Post
    Do these make a difference in the tone pot spots?
    Yes, they do. But the volume pots are definitively more important for the sound.

Les Paul Forum Member Mars Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JLee View Post
    Do these make a difference in the tone pot spots? Looking to replace the volume pots, but would rather not have to rewire all 4 pots.
    I considered this myself. However, Iím glad I did all 4. The tones are very useful even on the lowest setting.
    "What's that man movin' cross the stage?
    It looks a lot like the one used by Jimmy Page..." Paul McCartney

Thanks. Will give them a try.
    Got my ViPots in the mail!!! 4 of them. Looking forward to trying them out. Not sure what pots came stock. Do you know what came in your replicas?

I'm currently out of stock and I'm feeling absolutely humbled by all the great responses I got for the VIPots.

There is a small batch on its way and should arrive in a few days. The next big delivery will be end of May. This one will (hopefully) also include long shaft VIPots

Put the VIPs in my R8 today and noticed the gradual increase in volume all the way to 6.5 then........ va va voom to 9.5.......... and as I dropped it back gradually........ no loss of tone(didn't go dark).
    Can't remember ever having it as good as this.
    Will put some older RS pots in my R6 some stage soon and compare the two.
    The stock Gibby pots aren't in the race.

I donít have any experience with Centralabs but have tried RS superpots, Hamer pots, and whatever CTS 500K pots that came in my replica. The VIPots are the best. Now I understand what all the hype is about with regards to vintage pots and harnesses. Everything was as advertised at a great price. Congrats on an amazing product! I was pleasantly surprised that they improved the tone controls as well. Easy to solder. Clarity. Easy to turn. Taper is perfect. Highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by doubletone View Post
    I donít have any experience with Centralabs but have tried RS superpots, Hamer pots, and whatever CTS 500K pots that came in my replica. The VIPots are the best. Now I understand what all the hype is about with regards to vintage pots and harnesses. Everything was as advertised at a great price. Congrats on an amazing product! I was pleasantly surprised that they improved the tone controls as well. Easy to solder. Clarity. Easy to turn. Taper is perfect. Highly recommended!
    What was the harness setup?

Quote Originally Posted by fender69 View Post
    What was the harness setup?
    I just replaced the pots. Not sure what pots came stock. CTS 500K of some kind. Iím guessing TVT. Caps are probably Luxe but again Iím not sure. Guitar is a Canadian replica.

Quote Originally Posted by 1LT View Post
    Sorry for the late reply but I have been sick for the last 3 weeks. I dunno if anyone will be able to see this picture but I plotted the taper on these VIP pots along with some old Gibson 90's Historic pots. I think you have to click on the picture to enlarge it. It appears that the VIP pots are a two segment linear approximation of an audio taper. It is interesting that the old 90's pots are the reverse of the VIP taper (reverse audio taper). Keep in mind that I'm not saying anything is wrong about either design. I have not yet installed them so I can't comment on how they sound. If anyone would like to post the measurements of your vintage Centralabs or any other type, I can plot them on this comparison chart easily. Just send me the data. I measured them on a Fluke True RMS DMM while they were uninstalled. Don't measure while they are still in circuit, as I'm not sure the results will be consistent or accurate. I was careful not to touch the meter leads because this can change the resistance values. I installed one of the nuts, then the pointer (thumb splitter) and then another nut to lock it in place. Next I positioned the pointer and installed the knob so that pos 0 lined up with the pointer. From there I took readings at each stop.

Here is a good write up on types of pot tapers: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=227724&sid=019d1e51578c91c14deff64b21691a3c

Untitled.jpg
    The comparison is not to 90's pots that Gibson used. It's to the `50's Centralab pots that came stock in all vintage Gibson's. If I had a 90's LP I would probably replace the stock pots before even playing it.
    Nice graph though! explains alot about pot tapers

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    The comparison is not to 90's pots that Gibson used. It's to the `50's Centralab pots that came stock in all vintage Gibson's. If I had a 90's LP I would probably replace the stock pots before even playing it.
    Nice graph though! explains alot about pot tapers
    Yes, the '90s pots were junk and that is why I yanked them out. I finally got the Crazyparts "True Vintage Taper" pots in. I've used these before and I like the taper on these. They all read under 500 K but only about 3% so pretty darn good. i wanted to see what it looks like compared to the VIPs and I have updated my graph. Interestingly, the taper on these "TVT" pots looks closer to the plots I've seen for the vintage Centralabs. IMO the VIPs feel smoother and appear to be better quality. Can't wait to do a tone comparison.

Pots_taper2.jpg
    Last edited by 1LT; 04-20-18 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast