• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which new pots most like a vintage centralab?

renderit

Are you guys sure that reaming is required when replacing Alpha pots?

I found one in my parts drawer and it has the exact same shaft as a regular CTS pot.

View attachment 7927View attachment 7928

You can SCREW a CTS into some Alpha holes literally! The threads seem to be deeper or it is marginally larger in the ones I have played with. Reaming requires a light touch but would be suggested.

I have installed these on another Gibson guitar now. Sounds much better. I am going to put the original Gibson caps in and see whether it is the Luxes I am using or the pots on the next one I change. It just really seems more open after these. Also, the ones I have used so far have been in the 530-535 range on Volumes and 500-510 on Tones. I have been grading and marking all as I get them in. After yesterday I have a bunch more to grade. Thanks Chev!

ChevChelios

Thanks Chev!

Thank you, Ren! :salude

I just finished my latest (and most likely last) built. I did a test with a set of "vintage style" potentiometers from an US brand and then with the VIPots and the result was really striking. Turns out I'm my best customer :hank

img_2884sm-jpg.636777

img_2883sm-jpg.636778

img_2885sm-jpg.636780

img_2888sm-jpg.636781

zombiwoof

I just finished my latest (and most likely last) built. I did a test with a set of "vintage style" potentiometers from an US brand and then with the VIPots and the result was really striking. Turns out I'm my best customer :hank

img_2884sm-jpg.636777

img_2883sm-jpg.636778

img_2885sm-jpg.636780

img_2888sm-jpg.636781

What is a "US brand" these days?. I can't think of any.
Al

fender69

I am in love with that guitar!

img_2884sm-jpg.636777

img_2883sm-jpg.636778

img_2885sm-jpg.636780

img_2888sm-jpg.636781

TM1

That is a beautiful guitar!! Sure wish you lived closer so I could check it out

ChevChelios

Don, I'd love to show it to you. Let me know when you're in the Boston area and I'll arrange something.

renderit

DuhhhhhWAYNE! Ya gru outta nothin'!

Speaking of witches;

c) Rickinne. Wadda ya think? I want to know your thoughts as you had a pretty fine set in that critter already.

2) I am debating selling my long shaft PEC pots above because I like these better. The PEC pots weigh about 3x as much and are now priced outta reach...

Ω) I PLAN to use a bunch of my VIPots this weekend. Lookout world! Firstup,

36268959506_842752e7df_k.jpg

duaneflowers

DuhhhhhWAYNE! Ya gru outta nothin'!

Tru dat!!!

In the meantime, I built two new harnesses last to accompany a couple new sets of pups...

On top... a 2006 Gibson Yamano Spec VOS 50th Anniversary 1956 Reissue with ReWind Electric Custom Vintage P-90 Soapbar Set (wound with NOS 1950s PE Wire and A3 Magnets from a 1952 Les Paul). New Harness: RS Guitarworks 550k CTS Pots and Luxe PIO .02mF Grey Tiger Capacitors.

On bottom: a 2013 Gibson Collector's Choice #7 1960 Les Paul aka "Shanks" with ReWind Electric Custom Vintage Wire "Shanks" Set (wound to Shanks Specs with NOS 1950s PE Wire). New Harness: Vintage Inspired Pickups 550k VIPots and Luxe PIO .022mf Bumble Bee Capacitors.

Both sets of pots spec out in the 550k range with audio taper and tolerances being quite similar. The VIPots are Bournes based and the RS are CTS. I have a couple sets of PECs which I am still testing... rumor has it that they don't respond well to humidity and get quite scratchy within a year, so I'm waiting to see what truth there is to that... being in Japan, land of eternal wet, I might get some insight into that even sooner. Another contender for top honors are the Crazy Parts Area 59 TVT pots. They were my favorites before the VIPots hit my radar.

38143511_10215999350873180_65873330757959680_o.jpg

I built 3 more new harnesses last month for these bad boys as well.

All 3 are 2009 EPS/Edwards Limited Edition Pure Material Limited Models that I wired for a comparison between 3 sets of prototype pups... so every component was as similarly matched as I could make them. After the shootout, the pups were changed (L->R) Wizz PAF Signature Series Mike Bloomfield Prototypes, Wizz PAF Signature Series Beano Prototypes, and Wizz PAF Signature Series Paul Kossoff Prototypes. Caps were originally Russian K40Y-9 .022uf/.015ufs but the Beanos got a set of Luxe Womantones when the pups went in. The VIPots are smooth with a great vintage taper and really perform as advertised. I was never a Bournes fan as far as pots go, but they certainly give CTS a run for their money in these instances.

37826984_10215976872231228_5970901498115129344_n.jpg

renderit

Awesome Duane! I am done with the 54 above and it did bring out a bit more sparkle and clean and a ton more spank in the stock underwound P90's it came with. I am still not 100% on it and may go with Thrōbak 54's in it when I get the coin. I am still messing with my vintage wire Wizz in the Black Widow. How do you like yours Duane? I like the tones a lot sometimes...

43129581571_bcb38f35fa_z.jpg

duaneflowers

Awesome Duane! I am done with the 54 above and it did bring out a bit more sparkle and clean and a ton more spank in the stock underwound P90's it came with. I am still not 100% on it and may go with Thrōbak 54's in it when I get the coin. I am still messing with my vintage wire Wizz in the Black Widow. How do you like yours Duane? I like the tones a lot sometimes...

That 54 really is dreamy... I've never tried Throwbacks P90s but I have Gibson, Wizz, Rewind, Lollar, Fralin, Wolfetone and Bare Knuckle P90s and there really isn't all that much variation between them... not like with buckers... for whatever reason(s). The old wire and old mags do, however, make a big difference in tone and responsiveness... so if you really want to spoil that beauty, while not for the fainthearted, that is certainly the direction I'd go in.

My old wire Wizzes are my absolute favorites and I've got a 3rd set on the way. I have some vintage A5s that I'm gonna try out in the new set when it gets here and I'll see how those sound in my CC#2. Rewind's old wire set in my CC#7 are also killer. Something about the shimmer of that old wire that's got me hooked. I don't see myself winning the lottery any time soon, so genuine PAFs are out of the question... but those old wire sets do keep me satisfied in the interim. PAFs are strange creatures (I think there's a new book about them :hee) and they are not easy to tame. To my ear, those old wire sets maintain that particular quality and if you take the time to find the sweet spot they really do sound fine!! :salude

60pinstripe

I've got a set of old wire wizzes and I think they really are incredible. I've owned 5 original PAF LP's and these Wizzes rival the original PAF's.

duaneflowers

I've got a set of old wire wizzes and I think they really are incredible. I've owned 5 original PAF LP's and these Wizzes rival the original PAF's.

Definitely something special about them... especially when paired with the right fiddle... :salude

scovell001

So, I've been following this thread intently & taking in everyones comments.

Simply put, I have the CTS 550k pots all matched to 550k - I quite enjoy that my guitar volume & tone does something between 0-3 on the dial.

Apart from the smoother turning torque on these pots, what am I missing compared to what I already have

Mars Hall

These pots made such a big difference in my R7, I'm seriously thinking of installing them in my Gil Yaron 59 replica.

renderit

So, I've been following this thread intently & taking in everyones comments.

Simply put, I have the CTS 550k pots all matched to 550k - I quite enjoy that my guitar volume & tone does something between 0-3 on the dial.

Apart from the smoother turning torque on these pots, what am I missing compared to what I already have

I am going out on a tiny tiny branch here and I weigh more than a small car...

I can't think of a logical parallel to talk to because you are talking logarithmic separations I believe.

But think of it this way: On a linear scale the sweep would be the top through the bottom of the width of the sweeping object because it does (the sweeping object) have width. So with the vintage spec line there is much more separation between the top and the bottom. You are picking out different tonez. While I am sure mathematically it is represented by an average, that is what math tells us when representing analog stuff. There are also mathematical representations of a Matisse I am sure. I am also sure they would not give you the same feeling as if standing before the actual painting.

In actuality my analogy is fraught with bovine indiscretions, they DO sound different though and I strongly suggest you try a set. You MUST try a set. It is a moral imperative!

AA00475Bassman

Ren are those PEC or vip sanded down & the caps are ?

renderit

Ren are those PEC or vip sanded down & the caps are ?

I hit the VIPots on my belt sander like Gibson used to.

The caps are Luxe Grey Tigers. Those are red prints.

PECs are wonderful though. Except a set will add a pound to your guitar and soldering to them is well nigh impossible except to the sides. And they cost a fortune now. Much more than a sane person would pay. Before they were pretty crazy at $25 each. I think they are out of the market by a long shot now at $45+ each. I have a drawer full of them but most are long shaft.

Last edited: