• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Rickenbacker 1993 Plus

herb

Always liked the looks of the old Rose Morris Rickenbackers with the double bound sharp V cutaways and the F-holes rather than the single back-bound body with the slash-hole, or whatever it's called they have on the US market models. Now Ric is making a 12 string model with the RM features, PLUS, it has an extra wide neck. (is that what the PLUS is about :hmm) It's the Model 1993 Plus. This is the twelve I've always wanted. I've played Ric 12s with the skinny neck, and frankly, it really wasn't much of a problem, but that doesn't mean I liked them. This new model seems to be the one I've always wanted. PLUS (there's that word again), it has an affiliation with Pete Townshend! I'm mulling hard over this guitar. Anyone around here try or own this guitar?

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I think I saw one at the Dallas show last May. I picked it up and it felt great. Looked cool as all hell. I contemplated it for a sec, but quickly came to my senses. I have gorgeous sounding '65 mapleglo 360/12. Narrow neck but it totally has the sound. More so than any other Ric 12 I've owned

richard henry

Banned
I was looking at a 3 pickup model with the wide neck last week. They look great, vintage toaster top pickups, the wide shark fin inlays, and like you say, a wide nut width so much more easy to play AND a whole lot cheaper than the C63 models. :jim

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
p2_uionrhsje_ss.jpg

Not a limited run either. The original 1993 had dots IIRC. But a cool option if I was looking for a new 12....This would be the one because of the neck width primarily. Maybe I will check one out.

herbie74w

Sorry for posting on a older thread but I don't get why Rickenbacker's get drilled about their necks. They are very similar to holy grail fenders from the 50s. Those necks had more narrow nut sizes, flat radius' and lacquered fretboards (maple) but some how on fenders that is a plus. I have a 1965 420/425 looks exactly like Harrison's original Rickenbacker. It has a 1 5/8 nut with and is very versatile you can get the rick tone, a strat tone and a p90 tone. Love it.

DMartini

the main reason Rickenbacker get a hard time about the necks is mainly the 12 string guitars. Their 6 strings are fine, but the 300 series and 600 series 12 strings are quite hard to play, especially if you have big/long fingers.

the 660/Tom Petty sig fixed this problem by making the neck wider (Tom specified that when he was getting the sig designed [???])

ON TOPIC - the 1993 looks great, think it would look better with dots & R tail, just looks like a C63 with 3 PUs, however i like the fact the 1993 comes in a few colours other than Fireglo & Jetglo unlike the C63.

garywright

the main reason Rickenbacker get a hard time about the necks is mainly the 12 string guitars. Their 6 strings are fine, but the 300 series and 600 series 12 strings are quite hard to play, especially if you have big/long fingers.

the 660/Tom Petty sig fixed this problem by making the neck wider (Tom specified that when he was getting the sig designed [???]).

the standard 660/12 has the wider 1 3/4" nut width also

herbie74w

That makes sense. I have never played a twelve string. Rickenbackers are so well made. And they look so cool.

DMartini

Gary, does this 1993 have the same neck width as a 660?

if so it would be a great playing 12

garywright

yeah they do ..I actually worked out a decent price on one a couple weeks ago ..then after rethinking it I asked the dealer if he could get me one with a flametop similar to one of MikeS's Rics and have yet to hear back from them

Drupoet

Always liked the looks of the old Rose Morris Rickenbackers with the double bound sharp V cutaways and the F-holes rather than the single back-bound body with the slash-hole, or whatever it's called they have on the US market models. Now Ric is making a 12 string model with the RM features, PLUS, it has an extra wide neck. (is that what the PLUS is about :hmm) It's the Model 1993 Plus. This is the twelve I've always wanted. I've played Ric 12s with the skinny neck, and frankly, it really wasn't much of a problem, but that doesn't mean I liked them. This new model seems to be the one I've always wanted. PLUS (there's that word again), it has an affiliation with Pete Townshend! I'm mulling hard over this guitar. Anyone around here try or own this guitar?
Just bought the 1993Plus and I love this guitar...sound , playability with the wider nut , it looks beautiful.....AWESOME SOUND . I never liked the smaller neck size at the nut but I really loved the Rick 12 sound ; this 1993Plus gives both the sound n wide nut. The only thing I can't figure out is why Rickenbacker made this guitar with the 6 saddle bridge. I bought a Tune-O-Matic 12 saddle & my luthier will cut the groves in it. Other then that its an awesome instrument. I recommend this 12. Been playing over 60 years , collecting , recording , teaching guitar.