• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Got my Replica!

Ed A

The two year wait is over and I couldn’t be more stoked. This is a Canadian made replica (telltale shag carpet!)…. I wanted this guitar to be deep cherry (I can always fade it myself but I doubt I will). The pictures do not do it justice at all. The color, flame, aging and overall vibe in person is spectacular. Most importantly, the feel and tone of this thing is everything I could have hoped for. It really sounds just as good as my ’57 conversion which to date is the best sounding LP I’ve owned.

The best thing about joining this replica club is the opportunity to pick out the flametop and mahogany from many samples I was given to choose from. To see what started as raw blocks of wood hand crafted into a finished instrument using the choices I made is quite exciting to say the least. For many years I had no interest in replicas, instead buying and selling historic R9s. Which are great guitars, but I finally decided to have something built for me personally using materials that Gibson could not possibly provide to me. And I am very happy I did and more than happy with the work of this luthier!

Some details…. 8 ¼ pounds, starting with very old growth resonant as all hell mahogany! Flitch matched maple with plenty of mineral and ever changing flame depending on the angle. Super dark Brazilian board. All the proper glues in the proper places. Hard and thin nitro and analine dye front and back. Correct inlay material from the original Italian company and nylon 6/6 nut. Gorgeous Bartlett rings. In fact all of the parts are new repros. My ’57 conversion is loaded with all old parts including a killer set of PAFs. My budget right now does not allow me to do that with this replica but I am very happy with the repro parts…. As far as pickups I’ve come full circle with a set up I was using 10-15 years ago. An Ed A Timbucker in the bridge (8.3k) and a Rolph ’57 (7.5k) in the neck. These two pickups sound amazing together.

I really have this guitar sounding so close to my ’57 conversion. No two guitars sound identical but Ive never had another LP sound so similar to my conversion as this one. Which is a good thing, because I will rotate both guitars for kicks at gigs and I do NOT want them to sound very different from one another. Ive spent a lot of time getting my sound the way I want it for our Allman Brothers tribute band and this guitar will fit right in.

Sorry for the lengthy text, but I’m stoked!.... I will post some more pix and maybe video and audio when I have some time to record the guitar…

Last edited:

CDaughtry

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator
That thing looks KILLER!:dude: Let's hear a sound clip!:salude

GotTheSilver

Congratulations! It looks awesome. The two year wait must have killed you! Glad it turned out so well.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
That's absolutely gorgeous Ed... Congrats! :salude :salude :salude

If it's the builder I'm thinking of, I talked to him last year about one of these. Looking at yours, I regret not pulling the trigger...

WBailey

Beautiful instrument ! No compromise !

I bet you are so stoked ! Two years !

How did you determine the serial number ?

Anxiously awaiting the tone vid ! ( little Statesboro ? )

I'm a newbie to replicas, can the builder not be named ?

Ballpark cost ?

Enjoy ! I know you will ! Did you get a new amp yet ?

Stoj

Congrats - Nice Score Ed - That is a thing of beauty right there :dude: :salude

Ed A

Beautiful instrument ! No compromise !

I bet you are so stoked ! Two years !

How did you determine the serial number ?

Anxiously awaiting the tone vid ! ( little Statesboro ? )

I'm a newbie to replicas, can the builder not be named ?

Ballpark cost ?

Enjoy ! I know you will ! Did you get a new amp yet ?

Hi. Use my profile and email me for those details.

kerryboy

What a beaut.

Can we have a photo of the front of the headstock.

RocknRollShakeUp

stunning guitar in everyway...well of course we don't know what it sounds like... but I'm sure it sounds killer :dude:

Ed A

stunning guitar in everyway...well of course we don't know what it sounds like... but I'm sure it sounds killer :dude:

I will get some video and/or audio up sometime soon. Played my first gig with it Saturday night and absolutely loved it.