• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les paul gold top

Kris Ford

:3zone:3zone:3zone
It's a joke to try and get accurate historical info ...just realize it's just a name that has been bought and sold a few times and the current owners are in the business of selling new guitars... ...and really could care less about the history of guitars bearing the name made by other companies before their ownership. Much better and MUCH more accurate info on other websites that specialize in vintage data base and especially here from the real geeks here who've owned and collected thousands over the past 40 years, paying attention to the finest nuances and compiling information to be shared. Our own CFH's site has been around for years but it's still a long shot better than writing this "so-called" Gibson company.

WBailey

Hmmm, don't think I have ever seen one WITHOUT embossed covers. :) :) :)

Cool guitars though!

(PS - Technically, these belong in the Sunburst Pub --- this section is Pre-1970. Rock on! :dude: )

They are out there. I have seen 3-4. I do not believe the 25 shipped in '71 had them. ( embossed ) Kinda rare.

If I was back in Missouri, I could show you two.

There was one on Craigslist last week with photos, all original, 8K. Posting was been deleted :dang

Technically, you're the moderator. :dude:

Last edited:

lhric

They are out there. I have seen 3-4. I do not believe the 25 shipped in '71 had them. ( embossed ) Kinda rare.

If I was back in Missouri, I could show you two.

There was one on Craigslist last week with photos, all original, 8K. Posting was been deleted :dang

Technically, you're the moderator. :dude:

Supposedly the 1971 or earliest of these shipped out with the goof rings or cheater rings as they were called. I had a 71/72 with both the cheater rings and embossed P90s. According to James Hutchins/Gibson Historic division and prior early 60s employee They made a prototype and a couple models of a guitar prior to making an initial production run of 25 guitars. So the first 25 shipped in 71 were probably that first run of the guitar. Also to compare the two that I had. The first had the cheater rings and embossed P90s with a very tapered neck and weighed a solid 10lbs or more. The second had the embossed P90s with a good sized chunky neck only very slightly tapered neck and weighed about 9.5lbs.

WBailey

Supposedly the 1971 or earliest of these shipped out with the goof rings or cheater rings as they were called. I had a 71/72 with both the cheater rings and embossed P90s. According to James Hutchins/Gibson Historic division and prior early 60s employee They made a prototype and a couple models of a guitar prior to making an initial production run of 25 guitars. So the first 25 shipped in 71 were probably that first run of the guitar. Also to compare the two that I had. The first had the cheater rings and embossed P90s with a very tapered neck and weighed a solid 10lbs or more. The second had the embossed P90s with a good sized chunky neck only very slightly tapered neck and weighed about 9.5lbs.

Ah, the murky waters of this era. :hee

Like I said in my earlier posts, I have played two, original owners, purchased in '71, that do not have embossed covers. :hmm

The one that popped up on Craigslist last week did not have them either. I contacted the seller, he was the original owner, he purchased new in '71.

Cool stuff. Lots of conjecture though. Who knows ? :salude

EDIT; Maybe Mr. Hutchins, with his acute memory, can tell us why it was named a '58 reissue. :hee :yah

Last edited:

Jeff West

WB- since you asked about the body measurements, do you have other data on this? Just curious myself.

Thirteenluck

I cleaned the pots and here is a new pic. What can you tell me from this
20150924_202807.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I realize this is old thread but...

Ive got a very similar guitar and I believe a 71 as well. Seems like everyone does lol. I've got a humbucker in the bridge as well. Both sets of pots are like yours. T0-027 and 1377142

kinda interesting