The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are all the 61 Warren Haynes 335s gone?

Gibby made only 500 61 WH 335s and Wildwood bought 100.
    Wildwood just told me they sold their last WH a few months ago to callers who said they were hard to find.
    All the big online chains are sold out.

Does anyone out there know if there is a 61 WH 335 still hanging on a wall in some shop here in the USA?

If I can't find one, which new 335 is closest in sound and neck feel to a 61 WH 335?
    I don't care about block vs. dot, figured or plain maple, or who made the tuners.
    I don't care if it's Memphis or Nashville.
    Nobody is going to mistake my playing for Warren Haynes!

My only appearance-thingy is it's just got to be Cherry ... a watermelony red would be even better.

Thanks, very much.
    Last edited by Watermelon 335; 09-09-15 at 03:33 PM.

Re: Are all the 61 Warren Haynes 335s gone?

There's one for sale at the MLP (not mine). Check the classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by slimdave View Post
    There's one for sale at the MLP (not mine). Check the classifieds.
    Thanks slimdave.
    Sorry, noob here but what does MLP stand for?
    Googling MLP found a company that makes guitars, and a bunch of My Little Pony stuff.

BTW, I wanna new guitar for the non-tranferable factory warranty.
    Since you said to check the classifieds were you referring to a used one?

Quote Originally Posted by Watermelon 335 View Post
    Thanks slimdave.
    Sorry, noob here but what does MLP stand for?
    Googling MLP found a company that makes guitars, and a bunch of My Little Pony stuff.

BTW, I wanna new guitar for the non-tranferable factory warranty.
    Since you said to check the classifieds were you referring to a used one?
    MLP could also mean Master Limited Partnership! But in this case it means the My Les Paul forum. I have not checked, but I am assuming slimdave is talking about a used one being sold by a forum member.

There was one for sale at the Orange County show last month. Contact me for seller info.

Sorry, yes I meant the My Les Paul Forum. I didn't know if it was proper to paste a link from another forum here. If you can't find it, pm me and I'll send you the link.

Quote Originally Posted by slimdave View Post
    Sorry, yes I meant the My Les Paul Forum. I didn't know if it was proper to paste a link from another forum here. If you can't find it, pm me and I'll send you the link.
    Thank you.
    I found it.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/memb...-es-335-a.html

I appreciate your help.

Does $3,200 sound right considering it's a used guitar and a Gibson factory warranty is not transferable to buyers of used guitars.
    I was under the impression the published price of the big chains was around $3,400, and that's before any negotiating that many shrewd customers are successful at.
    (I'm not talking about that bogus 'list' price of 99 million bucks some retailers claim is the "MSRP".)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Any WH owner care to post what the dealer's asking price was and the final price was, before and after tax?
    Last edited by Watermelon 335; 09-10-15 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4string View Post
    There was one for sale at the Orange County show last month. Contact me for seller info.
    I tried to PM you here, but it said you don't accept PMs.
    I don't give out my email address.
    We probably share similar reasons.

Would you please post the name of the authorized Gibson dealer with the new 61 WH ES-335 here?
    If the guitar was not new, or the dealer is not an authorized Gibson dealer, I'm not interested.

Thanks anyway.
    Last edited by Watermelon 335; 09-13-15 at 09:10 AM.

Bump.
    Nobody knows of a new Gibson 61 Warren Haynes ES-335 for sale from an authorized Gibson dealer in The USA?

Bump.
    Nobody knows of a new Gibson 61 Warren Haynes ES-335 for sale from an authorized Gibson dealer in The USA?
    It might prove hard to find one that matches your requirements... new and from an authorized dealer, considering the model is now almost 2 years old, out of production and only 500 were made.

As the owner of a Rusty Anderson and Warren Haynes 335s, I would definitely advise you to find one, they're really nice guitars, even if you go for a used one from non-authorized dealer.

Good luck
    Last edited by riscado; 09-14-15 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by riscado View Post
    It might prove hard to find one that matches your requirements... new and from an authorized dealer, considering the model is now almost 2 years old, out of production and only 500 were made.

As the owner of a Rusty Anderson and Warren Haynes 335s, I would definitely advise you to find one, they're really nice guitars, even if you go for a used one from non-authorized dealer.

Good luck

Anyone can look up the specs but since you own both I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the RA and WH 335s compare.

What are the strongest points of each?
    What do you wish each was better at?

Anyone can look up the specs but since you own both I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the RA and WH 335s compare.

What are the strongest points of each?
    What do you wish each was better at?

Just a "2 cents" thought here; don't overlook the ES345's either. I've picked up a 59 ES345 Memphis reissue and it's an awesome player; great action and resonance...they're superb in regards to build quality as well. Beautiful guitar...
    http://www.es-335.org/wp-content/upl...01/mslight.jpg

Just bought one last month. Really great guitar. Tryed everything in the shop like 3 CS335's and a Rusty Anderson but the Haynes was the best. Lightest of the bunch too (heaviest was the Rusty Anderson)

I also own an RA and a WH. Both are great guitars. $3200.00 seems to be the going rate for a used WH. Mark's Guitar Loft gets one in every now and again. You might want to call Mark... Good luck.
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    I also own an RA and a WH. Both are great guitars. $3200.00 seems to be the going rate for a used WH. Mark's Guitar Loft gets one in every now and again. You might want to call Mark... Good luck.
    I got both of them because I really enjoyed reading Kenny's posts about the guitars and he was right on the mark, plus he's covered the differences between them very well in previous posts.

Again follow Kenny's suggestion, Mark's guitar loft as one now and then and he's a reputable dealer. I've bough many guitars from him, including both my Rusty Anderson and the Warren Haynes.

In a nuthsell the Rusty Anderson model has a bulkier neck, it's heavier (doesn't have the window cut under the bridge pickup), has more mids (whereas the Warren is hollower sounding and more hifi in a good way). I prefer the pickups on the Rusty Anderson as they sound more authentic too me, but I replaced the burstbuckers on my Warren Haynes with lollar low wind imperials.

I couldn't choose one, if you asked me, right now I love playing both of them equally.

Quote Originally Posted by riscado View Post
    I got both of them because I really enjoyed reading Kenny's posts about the guitars and he was right on the mark, plus he's covered the differences between them very well in previous posts.

Again follow Kenny's suggestion, Mark's guitar loft as one now and then and he's a reputable dealer. I've bough many guitars from him, including both my Rusty Anderson and the Warren Haynes.

In a nuthsell the Rusty Anderson model has a bulkier neck, it's heavier (doesn't have the window cut under the bridge pickup), has more mids (whereas the Warren is hollower sounding and more hifi in a good way). I prefer the pickups on the Rusty Anderson as they sound more authentic too me, but I replaced the burstbuckers on my Warren Haynes with lollar low wind imperials.

I couldn't choose one, if you asked me, right now I love playing both of them equally.

Thank you very much.

Quote: "I got both of them because I really enjoyed reading Kenny's posts about the guitars and he was right on the mark, plus he's covered the differences between them very well in previous posts."

I'm going to search through his posts ... Yikes! ... he has 1639 posts.

Thank you SO much, guys.

Here are my two...

WH-199

RA-202

Wow! Kenny, those look fantastic.
    I can't imagine owning two 335s.
    Color me green, with envy.

Imagine how hard it is to install bindings on the inside of the f-holes!

Is one purpose of having two 335s to have something nice for musician friends to play when they visit?

Wow! Kenny, those look fantastic.
    I can't imagine owning two 335s.
    Color me green, with envy.

Imagine how hard it is to install bindings on the inside of the f-holes!

Is one purpose of having two 335s to have something nice for musician friends to play when they visit?
    Thanks!

Actually, I think that the ES-335 is the world's perfect electric guitar and I've always felt that way. The beauty of this guitar is in it's construction, but that's a double edged sword. In my experience, if they're good, they're really good, but if they not so good, they're really lacking. I bought the Haynes first and I thought that it really delivered the goods. So well in fact, that I decided to take a shot on the Anderson, which also delivered the goods, but with some slightly different tonal properties. Could I live with just one of them? Absolutely! But... After a few months, I grew so attached to the characteristics of each, that I decided to keep them both.

At the end of the day, you have to decide, but consider this... When an instrument is right, you'll know it, because it stops being an instrument and becomes a voice for you to make music with...
    Last edited by KennyF; 09-21-15 at 04:56 AM. Reason: spelling, duh...

YIPPIE! I found one!
    It's new from an authorized Gibson dealer, so I got that full Gibby factory warranty I was after.
    After some mild negotiation (no blood was drawn) I paid $3,550 cash out the door, that includes sales tax.

We traveled to a city that's important in the music industry so we could try out many ES-3xx guitars ... new, used, new/reissue and vintage.
    It was exciting to play vintage 1959 - 1964 ESs, priced $14K - $22K.
    Playing the best vintage guitars was the clincher since it helped me recognize what a steal the WH is, at only $3,550.
    Of course the WH was not the same as a $20,000 vintage, but surprisingly-fine for a price that I could afford.

It's only 7 lb, 7 oz ... a good pound lighter than most 335s. My shoulder says, "Thank You!".
    I read that Gibson cherry-picked the lightest pieces of wood for the WH, especially that center maple block.
    Then more of the maple is routed out under the pickups.

IMO, (compared to ESs of the usual weight) the WH has a higher ratio of resonant acoustic tone compared to that magnetic/electric tone.
    I can hear more of that round warm acoustic energy, plugged in or unplugged.
    This nudges the tone a bit in the direction of those glorious, but unaffordable, fully-hollow body Gibby L5s.
    Unplugged, it was louder and had longer sustain than any other ES we encountered even the $$$ vintage ones.

I feel lucky to have snagged perhaps the last new WH of the run!
    Yes, there are many excellent ES models and vintages, but I think the WH is a killer value.
    It's priced only a few hundred bucks above the standard production-line 335, not thousands higher like some.

It sounds sublime through this amp, c1981 Music Man 110 RD Fifty.
    The WH neck profile is perfect for me and the fretwork is flawless.
    Ear-gasms, shoulder-gasms and finger-gasms forever!

Now I'm considering a new amp. (WHEN does this madness end?)
    Real vintage amps make me nervous.
    Seems like you could overpay/get ripped off unless you really know your stuff.
    Plus, electronic components are not designed/manufactured to last forever or maintain their specs forever.
    You could pay thousands for a 1960s all-origional amp that sounds perfect today, but components may soon just crap out from old age. No?
    Maybe some aged components improve the sound, but the clock is ticking on them too ... then what? Replace them with new components that don't have that aged sound?

I like the idea of starting out with all new components that were designed and well manufactured to have a vintage sound.
    Is the Tone King Imperial Mk II the best home and small-gig choice for jazz and blues on a 335?
    20 watts for $2,500 is very pricey, so what's the competition?

My SN is in the 200s of 500.
    I read somewhere that the binding of some WHs is not flush or something, but my binding is perfect.
    The red hue looks very watermelony, so maybe I'll superglue black watermelon seeds all over the top ... NOT! Hahahaha.

So guys and gals, thanks all for the help; I really appreciate this forum.
    I've lusted for a real Hot-Rod-Ferrari-Red 335 for literally 50 years.
    Now that I have not just any 335 but an nice one I can die a happy man.
    Oh Wait! ... NOW, I have a reason for living.

Pics of 'My Precious' ...

My fashion model showing off her hourglass figure.

You can see into the 'cathedral' grain better with the lights positioned to the side to eliminate reflections and glare.

SN 2xx of 500 is hand-painted on the back of the headstock.
    The paint is actually black but looks sliver because of how it caught the light.

Last edited by Watermelon 335; 09-23-15 at 06:03 PM.

Congratulations! I have three 335s and they all sound great through my Tone King Imperial 20th Anniversary.

Killer Score that's a beauty - Congrats

Guitars:
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop 1960 Reissue Les Paul
    2013 Gibson Custom Shop 1957 Reissue Les Paul
    2014 Gibson Custom Shop Rich Robinson '63 ES 335
    2015 Fender Custom Shop 1958 Reissue Stratocaster
    2014 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Reissue Stratocaster
    2006 Fender Custom Shop 1951 Reissue Nocaster

Amp:
    Magnatone Twilighter

Good for you -- play it in good health!
    If it sounds good, it is good.

Great find... Congrats!

Oh, and the Tone King Imperial in a word? YES!

Beautiful color!!! Enjoy

Extremely happy to know you found one, enjoy it : )

Here's a photo of mine for the record...

Thanks all for the congratulations.

I think you all know how I feel right now.
    Family, friends, neighbors and co-workers don't have a clue.
    I have only one friend in my life who 'gets it'.
    He's been playing LPs and 3xxs for 30 years.

Riscado, I wish I was on the couch or in bed making love to your four beautiful mistresses (or mastersses) right now.

I've been so excited about this new guitar that sometimes I'll even place it on the stand in my kitchen when I'm cooking, just to glance over at it.
    Am I alone in this silly obsession?
    Last edited by Watermelon 335; 09-23-15 at 08:51 PM.

I've been so excited about this new guitar that sometimes I'll even place it on the stand in my kitchen when I'm cooking, just to glance over at it.
    Am I alone in this silly obsession?
    No, my friend. You are not!

Ever stick your nose into the hole of a brand new acoustic? I have!

HNGD ,Looks great . I had considered getting 1 of these since so many had posted how much they loved them .
    But I NEEDED Block Inlays , held off .... And got very lucky .

Play it like you stole it ....

Yeah it looks like I missed the boat on picking up a Warren Haynes ES-335. I recently bought a 59 re-issue ES-335 burst (2012 Nashville custom shop) but there's something about the Big Red re-issue that leaves me still really wanting one...

Anyone know of one still available new or used please let me know at bfriend54@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by bfriend54 View Post
    Yeah it looks like I missed the boat on picking up a Warren Haynes ES-335. I recently bought a 59 re-issue ES-335 burst (2012 Nashville custom shop) but there's something about the Big Red re-issue that leaves me still really wanting one...

Anyone know of one still available new or used please let me know at bfriend54@gmail.com
    Maybe you didn't miss the Warren Haynes boat ...

Scroll up to post #5 of this thread.
    4string said he knew of one.
    If you email him it may work out.

I didn't pursue that lead because I don't give out my email.

As I posted in another thread when I called around the country every seller told me the WH 335s are all gone and that I was wasting my time.
    They were right ... that is ... until they were wrong.

BTW, thanks all for egging me on and taking all my money.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    Great find... Congrats!

Oh, and the Tone King Imperial in a word? YES!

Thanks KennyF, and others, for recommending the Tone King Imperial!
    I had to wait 6 weeks for the factory to catch up with orders, but yesterday mine finally arrived.
    Apparenly they don't mass-produce these in China and sell them at GC.

Also, since TK has so few dealers it involved two very long drives. GRRR!

My WH 335 is jealous of the new baby.
    When I tried to take a pic of the newborn Warren jumped in front of the camera.
    The poor amp is back there behind Warren's big butt.
    Then Warren had the nerve to ask, "Does turquoise make my cherry-red @ss look fat?"

Seriously though, WOW! ... What stunning and flexible sound!!!!
    Thanks SO much for the recommendation!

... now can someone please tell me how to play a C chord?

Last edited by Watermelon 335; 11-07-15 at 01:44 AM.

Which of these would be cuter for driving my Tone King around town on Friday nights?

Which of these would be cuter for driving my Tone King around town on Friday nights?

The Corvette, definitely!

Congrats on the Tone King. They are great amps!

BTW, did KennyF come right before KennyG?
    Last edited by Watermelon 335; 11-07-15 at 01:46 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member

I recently set up a Warren Haynes 335. It was a guitar for which I would not give any money. Why? Because it had a severe kick-up in the tongue area of the fretboard, and that is a serious problem for me. That 14" radius neck set up like it was a less than perfect 7.25" radius neck....very high...in order to avoid fretting out during bends. It was an early one...below #50.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Having played Warren's original one and his personal reissue, if you were blind folded, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. It's that close!
    Warren & I .. 29th, Oct. 1992

29th Oct. 2015
    Last edited by TM1; 11-07-15 at 02:18 PM. Reason: fixing photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast