• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Are all the 61 Warren Haynes 335s gone?

Watermelon 335

Wow! Kenny, those look fantastic.
I can't imagine owning two 335s.
Color me green, with envy. :dang

Imagine how hard it is to install bindings on the inside of the f-holes!

Is one purpose of having two 335s to have something nice for musician friends to play when they visit?

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! Kenny, those look fantastic.
I can't imagine owning two 335s.
Color me green, with envy. :dang

Imagine how hard it is to install bindings on the inside of the f-holes!

Is one purpose of having two 335s to have something nice for musician friends to play when they visit?

Thanks! :salude

Actually, I think that the ES-335 is the world's perfect electric guitar and I've always felt that way. The beauty of this guitar is in it's construction, but that's a double edged sword. In my experience, if they're good, they're really good, but if they not so good, they're really lacking. I bought the Haynes first and I thought that it really delivered the goods. So well in fact, that I decided to take a shot on the Anderson, which also delivered the goods, but with some slightly different tonal properties. Could I live with just one of them? Absolutely! But... After a few months, I grew so attached to the characteristics of each, that I decided to keep them both.

At the end of the day, you have to decide, but consider this... When an instrument is right, you'll know it, because it stops being an instrument and becomes a voice for you to make music with... :salude

Last edited:

Watermelon 335

YIPPIE! I found one!
It's new from an authorized Gibson dealer, so I got that full Gibby factory warranty I was after.
After some mild negotiation (no blood was drawn) I paid $3,550 cash out the door, that includes sales tax.

We traveled to a city that's important in the music industry so we could try out many ES-3xx guitars ... new, used, new/reissue and vintage.
It was exciting to play vintage 1959 - 1964 ESs, priced $14K - $22K. :worm
Playing the best vintage guitars was the clincher since it helped me recognize what a steal the WH is, at only $3,550.
Of course the WH was not the same as a $20,000 vintage, but surprisingly-fine for a price that I could afford.

It's only 7 lb, 7 oz ... a good pound lighter than most 335s. My shoulder says, "Thank You!".
I read that Gibson cherry-picked the lightest pieces of wood for the WH, especially that center maple block.
Then more of the maple is routed out under the pickups.

IMO, (compared to ESs of the usual weight) the WH has a higher ratio of resonant acoustic tone compared to that magnetic/electric tone.
I can hear more of that round warm acoustic energy, plugged in or unplugged.
This nudges the tone a bit in the direction of those glorious, but unaffordable, fully-hollow body Gibby L5s.
Unplugged, it was louder and had longer sustain than any other ES we encountered even the $$$ vintage ones.

I feel lucky to have snagged perhaps the last new WH of the run! :peace2:peace2
Yes, there are many excellent ES models and vintages, but I think the WH is a killer value.
It's priced only a few hundred bucks above the standard production-line 335, not thousands higher like some.

It sounds sublime through this amp, c1981 Music Man 110 RD Fifty.
The WH neck profile is perfect for me and the fretwork is flawless.
Ear-gasms, shoulder-gasms and finger-gasms forever!

Now I'm considering a new amp. (WHEN does this madness end?)
Real vintage amps make me nervous.
Seems like you could overpay/get ripped off unless you really know your stuff.
Plus, electronic components are not designed/manufactured to last forever or maintain their specs forever.
You could pay thousands for a 1960s all-origional amp that sounds perfect today, but components may soon just crap out from old age. No?
Maybe some aged components improve the sound, but the clock is ticking on them too ... then what? Replace them with new components that don't have that aged sound?

I like the idea of starting out with all new components that were designed and well manufactured to have a vintage sound.
Is the Tone King Imperial Mk II the best home and small-gig choice for jazz and blues on a 335?
20 watts for $2,500 is very pricey, so what's the competition?

My SN is in the 200s of 500.
I read somewhere that the binding of some WHs is not flush or something, but my binding is perfect.
The red hue looks very watermelony, so maybe I'll superglue black watermelon seeds all over the top ... NOT! Hahahaha. :laugh2:

So guys and gals, thanks all for the help; I really appreciate this forum.
I've lusted for a real Hot-Rod-Ferrari-Red 335 for literally 50 years.
Now that I have not just any 335 but an nice one I can die a happy man.
Oh Wait! ... NOW, I have a reason for living. :hank

Pics of 'My Precious' ...

DSC_1623_2_zps1jbokqmp.jpg

My fashion model showing off her hourglass figure.

DSC_1624_zpsgtmltclu.jpg

You can see into the 'cathedral' grain better with the lights positioned to the side to eliminate reflections and glare.

DSC_1631_zps9qhwidlz.jpg

SN 2xx of 500 is hand-painted on the back of the headstock.
The paint is actually black but looks sliver because of how it caught the light.

0001444_zpshehtms7n.jpg

Last edited:

GotTheSilver

Congratulations! I have three 335s and they all sound great through my Tone King Imperial 20th Anniversary.

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Great find... Congrats! :salude

Oh, and the Tone King Imperial in a word? YES! :peace2

riscado

Extremely happy to know you found one, enjoy it : )

Here's a photo of mine for the record...

Watermelon 335

Thanks all for the congratulations.

I think you all know how I feel right now.
Family, friends, neighbors and co-workers don't have a clue.
I have only one friend in my life who 'gets it'.
He's been playing LPs and 3xxs for 30 years.

Riscado, I wish I was on the couch or in bed making love to your four beautiful mistresses (or mastersses) right now.

I've been so excited about this new guitar that sometimes I'll even place it on the stand in my kitchen when I'm cooking, just to glance over at it.
Am I alone in this silly obsession?

Last edited:

GotTheSilver

I've been so excited about this new guitar that sometimes I'll even place it on the stand in my kitchen when I'm cooking, just to glance over at it.
Am I alone in this silly obsession?

No, my friend. You are not!:salude

Ever stick your nose into the hole of a brand new acoustic? I have!

1jamman

HNGD ,Looks great . I had considered getting 1 of these since so many had posted how much they loved them .
But I NEEDED Block Inlays , held off .... And got very lucky .

Play it like you stole it .... :laugh2:

bfriend54

Yeah it looks like I missed the boat on picking up a Warren Haynes ES-335. I recently bought a 59 re-issue ES-335 burst (2012 Nashville custom shop) but there's something about the Big Red re-issue that leaves me still really wanting one...

Anyone know of one still available new or used please let me know at bfriend54@gmail.com

Watermelon 335

Yeah it looks like I missed the boat on picking up a Warren Haynes ES-335. I recently bought a 59 re-issue ES-335 burst (2012 Nashville custom shop) but there's something about the Big Red re-issue that leaves me still really wanting one...

Anyone know of one still available new or used please let me know at bfriend54@gmail.com

Maybe you didn't miss the Warren Haynes boat ...

Scroll up to post #5 of this thread.
4string said he knew of one.
If you email him it may work out.

I didn't pursue that lead because I don't give out my email.

As I posted in another thread when I called around the country every seller told me the WH 335s are all gone and that I was wasting my time.
They were right ... that is ... until they were wrong.

BTW, thanks all for egging me on and taking all my money. :hee

Watermelon 335

Great find... Congrats! :salude

Oh, and the Tone King Imperial in a word? YES! :peace2

Thanks KennyF, and others, for recommending the Tone King Imperial!
I had to wait 6 weeks for the factory to catch up with orders, but yesterday mine finally arrived.
Apparenly they don't mass-produce these in China and sell them at GC. :rofl

Also, since TK has so few dealers it involved two very long drives. GRRR! :dang

My WH 335 is jealous of the new baby.
When I tried to take a pic of the newborn Warren jumped in front of the camera.
The poor amp is back there behind Warren's big butt.
Then Warren had the nerve to ask, "Does turquoise make my cherry-red @ss look fat?"

Seriously though, WOW! ... What stunning and flexible sound!!!!
Thanks SO much for the recommendation!

... now can someone please tell me how to play a C chord? :hee

Guitarpron_zpseehngofh.jpg

TK%202222_zpskae7askz.jpg

TK%20I%20mk%20II_zpsxvulu5ly.jpg

Last edited:

Wally

I recently set up a Warren Haynes 335. It was a guitar for which I would not give any money. Why? Because it had a severe kick-up in the tongue area of the fretboard, and that is a serious problem for me. That 14" radius neck set up like it was a less than perfect 7.25" radius neck....very high...in order to avoid fretting out during bends. It was an early one...below #50.

TM1

Having played Warren's original one and his personal reissue, if you were blind folded, you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. It's that close!
Warren & I .. 29th, Oct. 1992

29th Oct. 2015

Last edited: