• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Who has the best signature lick?

Tridyed

That's very hard to narrow down, so many players have great signature licks.

For right now I would go for both Duane and Dickie from ABB. They both had a certain way of playing that had some repetition in phrasing that has always caught my eye.

:jim

MDent77

That's very hard to narrow down, so many players have great signature licks.

For right now I would go for both Duane and Dickie from ABB. They both had a certain way of playing that had some repetition in phrasing that has always caught my eye.

:jim

Yes, I agree, this is hard to narrow down.

I would think it is the guitarist most copied/emulated.
Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, and Ritchie Blackmore all could fit the bill…yet, Eddie Van Halen and his tapping notes then descending into a whammy dive bomb was copied by thousands of guitarists. His signature became one of the decade. He may win hands down!
(Randy Rhoads also captured a lot of attention as well…with his killer legato. He re-directed many players in the late 80's style.)

I vote to narrow it to either -- Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen.

redisburning

Les Paul Froum Member
Eric Johnson's descending pentatonic lick is so good it's made multiple people's careers

MDent77

If the Q was favorite signature licks:
Jan Akkerman (Focus) absolute innovation -- or Joe Perry (Aerosmith) awesome rock chop slop would be my winners.

4pie

ive been playing the sunshine of your love/cocaine licks as my foundation on any guitar solo i pull for years. clapton is responsible for most of your favorite guitar players greatest licks. hes such a great phraser.

P.Walker

Eric Johnson's descending pentatonic lick is so good it's made multiple people's careers

I agree. It was actually baffling how he said he had to play it that way because he was a slow picker :bigal Was in one of his interviews/lessons...

I've come to prefer Johnson's fluid, almost violin/piano hybrid style of lead playing than most other "guitarists" who end up sounding like their technique.

I've studied Eric in depth, and one other shocking thing was how similar he and Yngwie are when they approach the concept of economy picking and phrasing. Very cool.

Stoj

Mark Knopfler & Steve Lukather to name a few :salude

marshall1987

If we're talking licks and not riffs I agree on Kossoff, there are several licks you can hear in most of his solos that are simple but tasty. It seems easy but his talent is to string them just right.

But the very best? I know many won't dig it but I'd say Slash. He had developped a few really original licks early on that pop in many of his solos, they're great variations on the blues, using intermediate notes that nobody else uses, they're often fast without being flash and they're outside "the" box which is why he doesn't sound like everybody else. Even if you don't like him, you know it's him when you hear it on the radio.

What's the difference?

harleytech

Jimmy Page on Led Zeppelin II my all time favorite licks. The first time I heard Heartbreaker it sounded and felt like a freight train barreling down on me! What a visceral experience. I saw them in concert in 1972, 1973, and 1975. It was shear pandemonium in those concert venues. Best band ever!:dude:

+1 !!!