• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Who has the best signature lick?

renderit

Sorry, Steven Hunter (and Dick Wagner) intro to Sweet Jane. Gotta be the best in history.

clayville

Keef - Can't You Hear Me Knockin'

I've been trying to play it right for nearly 40 years and I'm only just now getting close to pulling off that whole inside-out syncopation feel throughout this one. Heck, there's 8 or 10 great variations and then mood shifts from him on that tune. And then there's Mick Taylor too. :wah

marshall1987

Jimmy Page on Led Zeppelin II my all time favorite licks. The first time I heard Heartbreaker it sounded and felt like a freight train barreling down on me! What a visceral experience. I saw them in concert in 1972, 1973, and 1975. It was shear pandemonium in those concert venues. Best band ever!:dude:

Lenny

If we're talking licks and not riffs I agree on Kossoff, there are several licks you can hear in most of his solos that are simple but tasty. It seems easy but his talent is to string them just right.

But the very best? I know many won't dig it but I'd say Slash. He had developped a few really original licks early on that pop in many of his solos, they're great variations on the blues, using intermediate notes that nobody else uses, they're often fast without being flash and they're outside "the" box which is why he doesn't sound like everybody else. Even if you don't like him, you know it's him when you hear it on the radio.

El Gringo

Keith Richards open G chord intro to the Rolling Stones, honky tonk woman and the fill which to my ears is pure bliss and ecstacy !!!

Elmore

Hendrix and EVH for me. Eddie has a a few that I have never heard anyone else do.

chuckNC

Albert King and Chuck Berry both have what I could call a "main lick" that gets repeated -- and recognized -- quite often.

Triplet

Gotta be the BB King vibrato (tremolo for purists). Maybe even the Albert King bend.