• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Show us your conversions (2015 super thread)

Snappy Joe

I have an early 1968 GT which, from viewing it under light, has a spectacular center line top. A little asymetrical as the upper half has more depth as the lower but that's cool w. me. I have been thinking about converting it to a burst for over 40 years.
I wonder if anybody of you guys has ever regret converting his LP? Anyone here?

corpse

I have an early 1968 GT which, from viewing it under light, has a spectacular center line top. A little asymetrical as the upper half has more depth as the lower but that's cool w. me. I have been thinking about converting it to a burst for over 40 years.

Like Robert Plant said "Nah, leave it".
Go buy a 2018 Historic and have both- lass Ihm im Ruhe! Mann soll zwei- Blonde und Gold- haben. You will miss that beautiful aged gold.
I have a 69 GT converted to humbuckers- I am glad they stopped there.

Snappy Joe

I got you. But those new Les Pauls are sloppy built and way too pricy for what thy're offering. And then this GT of mine has a twang to die for. Anyway. Not a decision for today or tomorrow. Like IO said 40+ years in the loop :)

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Does this have the original gold finish?
If so, how do you know the top is spectacular? :hmm

If not, do want you want.

Snappy Joe

Does this have the original gold finish?
If so, how do you know the top is spectacular? :hmm

If not, do want you want.

Hi Tom,

I have successfully tried the LED torch trick to get an idea what's below the finish. The upper half of the top obviously has a deep curly top, while the lower half has much less. The photos are made w. a cheap cam, dirty lens and do not perfectly show what the bare eye sees.

P1050474web.jpg P1050477web.jpg P1050478web.jpg

MapleFlame

Snappy Joe

That's awesome. I have an early 69 conversion and love it.

Any photos to show. I'm curious what kind of tops they might have been using during this era. Probably very different ones but maybe there is a trend. I'm curious

MapleFlame

Any photos to show. I'm curious what kind of tops they might have been using during this era. Probably very different ones but maybe there is a trend. I'm curious

It still has the original gold finish. I should try the above method to see what's underneath.

chuck dale

I would leave the Gold Top original! I think there were less than 500 made in 68... I've had 2 or 3 and wish I still had them!!

marshall1987

IMO if you refinished your '68 LP gold top to a sunburst, you would permanently debase and devalue an otherwise great guitar. Why would anyone want to do that....just so you can have flame top bragging rights? :dang

jimmi

IMO if you refinished your '68 LP gold top to a sunburst, you would permanently debase and devalue an otherwise great guitar. Why would anyone want to do that....just so you can have flame top bragging rights? :dang
Agree. There are probably already converted, partially converted guitars or ones with major issues that would be better candidates and then he would have 2 intersting guitars

T.Allen

Agree. There are probably already converted, partially converted guitars or ones with major issues that would be better candidates and then he would have 2 intersting guitars

I also agree, if you are tracking votes.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Back in 1973 I wanted to find a 68 to turn into a Burst conversion. Even back then I specifically looked for a refinished top so I wouldn't mess with an original. It wasn't so long before I found one and my brother made my conversion with a nice sunburst. :)

BTW: My brother already had [since the late 60s] a Burst conversion from a messed up 50s Goldtop.

AA00475Bassman

Man, I'm really, really , really loving my '53 conversion that Joel Wilkens did. Such an unbelievable guitar. No, it ain't Birdy, and no it ain't Betty. But it is as good or better than a few Bursts I've played, and it kicks the crap out of any R9 or even my makeover with PAFs. And unlike the '58 or the '60, I don't have to be nervous about it and can take it anywhere and let other people play her.

Here's Belladonna (again). M8 rings, wireless ABR1, vintage tailpiece, knobs and PAFs. 1969 RT ring. Wound up putting new vintage taper CTS pots in, because the original pots were too far gone. Stamped her as 3 1959, since I'll never know the original number.

Let's see your conversions!

IMG_6709_zps2r7fy3vn.jpg

IMG_6700_zpsv04c1ljc.jpg
You obviously have not played a very good R9 you really tipped your hand with the R9 comment. Even taking a subjective view this really pegs out the BS meter !