• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why a '64 Es335 ?

WBailey

I have a '64. I've had other 335s and a '61 355, but this one is the best. Great neck (.81-.975), lightweight, and It really comes alive when I crank it up. This one, by the way, has a low neck angle, about 1/16" space under the thumbscrews. It's really one of those magic guitars...That's why I like 64s!

Just sayin

WBailey

Thanks so much for the great info and insight .. I guess my search will start very soon...:):dude:

Good luck Progear. If there is any way you can make Arlington this year, you will be able to see, first hand, everything that has been discussed here. Like I said in my original reply, there are a lot of members here with a lot of opinions. Playing these vintage guitars side by side is a whole lot better than internet conjecture. Does it absolutely have to be a 335 ? There will be several nice 345's there also. Anyway, happy hunting, keep us posted, we love NGD !

Progear

NVGD... Es345 coming soon... Stay tuned.. :spabout

I guess i couldnt wait for Arlington ..

latestarter

I know the feeling...I got a new ES-345 pre Arlington! Mind you, might still try and bring a war-chest to the event....see what pops up.

mistersnappy

Re: the OP question-

In 30+ years of following vintage Gibsons, I've never heard of any 335 being more desirable than Dot Necks generally. Some individuals have their preferences of course.

Re: Clapton's association with the '64. That's mostly based on *one show* and the famous film of it. He used it in the Yardbirds mostly and Blind Faith but it isn't those bands- its was one Cream show that drove this fascination. And the so called "Crossroads" reissue. YMMV.

chuckNC

Re: the OP question-

In 30+ years of following vintage Gibsons, I've never heard of any 335 being more desirable than Dot Necks generally. Some individuals have their preferences of course.

Re: Clapton's association with the '64. That's mostly based on *one show* and the famous film of it. He used it in the Yardbirds mostly and Blind Faith but it isn't those bands- its was one Cream show that drove this fascination. And the so called "Crossroads" reissue. YMMV.
I would second that. Doggone historical revisionism, that Crossroads deal.

marshall1987

Thought this thread merited a bump.....as of late the list/sale prices for player grade, and collector grade 1964 ES-335s have taken off dramatically. I rarely ever see listings for a stop-tail, player grade '64 ES-335 for less than $15K. And collector grade '64 stop tails are north of $20K. As was the case a few years ago, the collector grade, cherry red 335s seem to command the highest prices.

Prices for Bigsby and Maestro versions, both player grade and collector grade, still lag behind the more desirable stop-tail '64s.

goldtop0

'64s are supposed to have a fatter neck from what I've read........like a '59 but not as big as the '58s.

OKGuitar

'64s are supposed to have a fatter neck from what I've read........like a '59 but not as big as the '58s.
Not quite true. A 64 is still pretty shallow at the first fret but there is considerable shoulder making it feel larger. An average 64 is .83" at the first fret but it gets really big by the 12th-often a full inch. 58 and early 59 necks are usually .88" at the first and 1" at the 12th. There is plenty of variation. The idea that a 58 neck is bigger than a 59 is simply not true. In fact, the largest necks are on early 59's. The largest I've had (and I've had around 600) was .93" at the first and 1.05" at the 12th. It was an early 59. The other huge necks are found on the vaunted "first rack" 59 ES-345's. Usually around .90" at the first and 1.02" at the 12th. The late 59's are considerably smaller than the early ones (and smaller than 58's).

deytookerjaabs

Crazy, I got my cherry '64 at 1am (slightly under the influence) right after it posted online around this time last year even before the taxes hit. I didn't plan on this particular year or model, it just was a deal on something I've always wanted that I couldn't pass up. I'm so glad I pounced, one day the market is up then the next day....it's up! Egads.

goldtop0

Not quite true. A 64 is still pretty shallow at the first fret but there is considerable shoulder making it feel larger. An average 64 is .83" at the first fret but it gets really big by the 12th-often a full inch. 58 and early 59 necks are usually .88" at the first and 1" at the 12th. There is plenty of variation. The idea that a 58 neck is bigger than a 59 is simply not true. In fact, the largest necks are on early 59's. The largest I've had (and I've had around 600) was .93" at the first and 1.05" at the 12th. It was an early 59. The other huge necks are found on the vaunted "first rack" 59 ES-345's. Usually around .90" at the first and 1.02" at the 12th. The late 59's are considerably smaller than the early ones (and smaller than 58's).

Thanks for that explanation.
Shoulders are the key for that fatter feel:2cool