• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neck pickup in Les Paul's original prototype

guitarguy1962

I was watching the video of "How High the Moon," and I noticed the unusual neck pickup in Les Paul's original prototype:

You can see the same pickup in the famous picture of Les Paul and Mary Ford:

I read somewhere this was a Dynasonic pickup in a P-90 cover. Does anyone know if this is true, or whether this was just one of Les' experiments?

Here's the full video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NkGf1GHAxhE

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I was watching the video of "How High the Moon," and I noticed the unusual neck pickup in Les Paul's original prototype:

You can see the same pickup in the famous picture of Les Paul and Mary Ford:

Same pickup perhaps, but likely a different guitar. There's no binding on the neck of the second one. :hmm

DucRyder

It looks like an Alnico neck pickup from a Custom with round pole pieces / cream cover instead of rectangular/black. same height adjusters.

sws1

Same pickup perhaps, but likely a different guitar. There's no binding on the neck of the second one. :hmm

And the second one is MUCH bigger than the first. :rofl

guitarguy1962

It looks like an Alnico neck pickup from a Custom with round pole pieces / cream cover instead of rectangular/black. same height adjusters.

I agree the cover is the same as a P 90/Alnico, but those adjusters under the pole pieces are confusing me. It reminds me of the DeArmond Dynasonics, such as on this Guild Starfire:

Last edited: