The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Is it me or was/is Rick Derringer a very underrated guitarist?

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Easton View Post
    The band "Derringer" that he had in the late '70's-80's was one of the best live acts of the time. I'm talking about the lineup w/ Danny Johnson, Kenny Aaronson and Myron Grombacher. Incredible band.
    I agree 110%!

Rick was my first "guitar hero" as a teenager. The first barre chords I learned were to "Rock 'n' Roll, Hoochie Koo". Before I really knew about Beck, Page or Clapton, Rick was my guitar hero. Maybe not underrated, but definitely unappreciated.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by purplebeast View Post
    Rick was my first "guitar hero" as a teenager. The first barre chords I learned were to "Rock 'n' Roll, Hoochie Koo". Before I really knew about Beck, Page or Clapton, Rick was my guitar hero. Maybe not underrated, but definitely unappreciated.
    I think you likely captured closer to what I was trying to say...'under appreciated'. But overall, based on this thread, I stand correctly corrected!

Rick Derringer was and is an incredible guitarist, singer, songwriter and producer.
    I met him a couple times. He is a little guy but jeez his live album in the 70's.
    His band Derringer was the first band i ever saw perform live. He opened for
    Aerosmith at Madison Square Garden. WOW

Les Paul Forum Member 66SuperTremMKIV's Avatar

Great player , very well respected.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

I don't recall if anyone posted this YouTube video of a Derringer concert from 1977.

"Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by marshall1987 View Post
    I don't recall if anyone posted this YouTube video of a Derringer concert from 1977.

Thats Mark Cunningham playing guitarwith Rick in the 77 video

nitebob

Les Paul Forum Member 67blackcherry's Avatar

?)Re: Is it me or was/is Rick Derringer a very underrated guitarist?

My one & only time seeing Rick - NAMM, 1985, he's the headliner at the Kramer aftershow - Edward Van Halen joins him; they're both back by the drums, Rick is showing Ed the chord progression to Rock 'n Roll, Hoochie Coo while Dennis Berardi(?), President of Kramer, is telling the audience to calm the EFF down and move back from the stage or else Ed isn't going to play.
    It was at the Anaheim Hilton, one of the smaller ballrooms; my friend and I were no more than 5-6' from the stage.
    They both tore it up that night, Rick was in fine form and definitely held his own.
    R4BB
    R4GT
    R6GT
    R7BB
    R8 flame/cherry
    R8 flame/tobacco
    R0 TV Special
    A bunch of Cunetto Relics
    CS Tele Custom Relic
    AllParts Paisley Tele
    AllParts B-Bender Tele

One of my all time favorites! He was favorite of my Dad of all things. I Saw him live in the early 80's, mostly played a BC Rich. Tore it up! He is definitely underrated. RNR Hoochie Koo I think is the perfect rock song!
    52/59 Conversion; '55 Junior; '63 SG; Aged Bloomfield

Les Paul Forum Member

I was there, great band Johnny Winter AND!

I remember them both having a stack of Twin Reverbs, 6 each in a pyramid shape (it was LOUD LOL!)!

Killer show, and don't forget Rick produced the best selling Johnny and Edger Winter releases.

http://yeech.altervista.org/Band/win...derringer.html

Quote Originally Posted by RAB View Post
    I saw Rick with Johnny Winter And in San Francisco circa 1971. He was playing a very nice Sunburst Les Paul, can't recall the amp setup. During the set he exclaimed " think I'll dance for awhile!" and proceeded to drop the guitar to the stage...I like Rick's playing. My main complaint is his tone tends to be muddy and heavy with effects, especially flanging. He also put Dimarzio Super Distortion humbuckers in his original Burst and Explorer and that was, shall we say, a "no-no!"

I have seen him many times in New England. He was fantastic at every show. One of my favorites!

I saw him open for Kansas in NYC back in 1976. A friend asked me if I wanted to go see Kansas free because she had tickets and I had a car. I hemmed and hawed until she said RD was opening. Well....alrighty then...being a big Johnny Winter fan I was quite happy to go see him. He blew me away that night. Very simple set up, just two Marshall stacks, bass player had one stack...and the drummer. So simple, and so amazingly great. I don't know if he always was that great, but that show has not been topped and that's quite a few years ago. And Kansas was good too, even though I had no interest in seeing them really. I got to talk to him a few years ago at a guitar show, was very nice in person. I've heard stories he wasn't always like that, but I would have to say the same for all my heroes.

***Please check out my music***

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=14302960296

He certainly wasn't underrated in the '70s. He was highly respected within the guitar playing community. I was lucky enough to see him in the '70s with Edgar. I think I might even have his autograph? Anyway, I think it's kind of an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of thing with him, but as far as I'm concerned, he's still a phenomenal player.
    Midnight Blues

Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar

Les Paul Forum Member jbzoso2002's Avatar

My very 1st concert ever was Chicago fest 1977?? and was Rick Derringer warming
    up for Journey.

Rick D smoked, as a young teenager I was blown away, had great seats too.

I vaguely remember a guitar solo with smoke coming out of the guitar or the stage
    where he was wailing.

Jimmy

Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar

If you watch that video a sufficient number of times, the McCoys slowly become visible.

I think.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Didn't Neil Geraldo play with Rick for a while, before he joined up with Pat Benatar?
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Didn't Neil Geraldo play with Rick for a while, before he joined up with Pat Benatar?
    Yes, Derringer's 1979 Guitars and Women.
    The best responses we get from an audience are when we do our worst material.
    - Frank Zappa

Another very underrated guitarist.

Les Paul Forum Member

Slide on "Showbiz Kids" is, I think, all he played on. He's certainly not underrated by me. The band "Derringer" that he had in the late '70's-80's was one of the best live acts of the time. I'm talking about the lineup w/ Danny Johnson, Kenny Aaronson and Myron Grombacher. Incredible band.
    Also on "My Rival" from the Gaucho album. Good, funky player. I thought he played guitar on "Free Ride" and "Frankenstein" but found out recently in was Ronnie Montrose. Still, here's a vid of Ricky D playing Frankenstein with EW from 1973.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8f-Qb-bwlU

Quote Originally Posted by jalevinemd View Post
    Another very underrated guitarist.
    And he and Pat are still smokin'!
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Les Paul Forum Member

I have been a fan for along time. I was dancing to and playing that McCoy number he wrote when I was 14. I never have seen that video, though! Here is the actual video....with Sloopy letting her hair down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoZ5JL3gmHo

Kept up with him during the J. Winter days. I saw Derringer as the warm up for Nam Halen on VH's first tour in 1978. I was impressed by Van Halen, but I like what Derringer did more at that time....at least, I was drawn to his music more.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

Les Paul Forum Member

I remember as a teenager looking at the back of the album Edgar Winter's Shock Treatment and seeing the band trying for the androgynous look. Yikes! But to me, as a teenager, Rick looked like a girl to me. Great album.

Les Paul Forum Member

To the tune of.....well....you know.....

''Androgeny, androgeny shaping my world....
    Living, Loving....is he is lady?!?"

eeeehaw......It is a wild, wild world.....some females are men
    some boys are girls.....

Nowadays, checking the package is not a defining moment....gender identity is no longer a physical thing, is it?
    What once was learned is now invalid?!?! I am glad that I don't have to explain things to a child in this day and age.

Oh, zoommutt, I remember seeing that album for the first time, too....in magazines since I was overseas. When I was coming back 'to the world', as we as oversea miltiary servicemen called it in those days, in 1975, I wondered to myself IF I was going to see that 'fashion' on my way home. I walked out onto the sidewalk from the airport in San Francisco. There was a fellow who had to have been as tall as I am..6'5"... towering even higher in about 6 inch platforms and dressed in exactly the same fashion as what is on that cover of that album. I said to myself.."Welcome to the world!".
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

And he and Pat are still smokin'!

To quote Lynyrd Skynyrd...

"You got that right!"

The last time I was at a Dallas show, Rick blew George Lynch off the stage.
    Les Paul Forum Founder

“It is only through inner peace that we can have true outer freedom.” — Sri Chinmoy

Quote Originally Posted by zoommutt View Post
    I remember as a teenager looking at the back of the album Edgar Winter's Shock Treatment and seeing the band trying for the androgynous look. Yikes! But to me, as a teenager, Rick looked like a girl to me. Great album.
    I remember back in the '70s when these two albums were out at about the same time and fairly close to one another on the shelf:

Throw-in Suzi Quatro too:

I much preferred Rick's stuff though.
    Midnight Blues

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DonRowe View Post
    A Derringer alum Neil Geraldo.
    I wish I would have had a chance at the job Geraldo got with Rick . I learned how to play all that Derringer stuff when I was 16 and I was prettier than him too HA HA

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Russell View Post
    Rick Derringer was and is an incredible guitarist, singer, songwriter and producer.
    I met him a couple times. He is a little guy but jeez his live album in the 70's.
    His band Derringer was the first band i ever saw perform live. He opened for
    Aerosmith at Madison Square Garden. WOW
    Saw these guys 4 times before they broke up, first was in my home town and they backed up Aerosmith and made them look unprofessional as they were. Danny Johnson is a great player with killer tone ,phrasing ,and note selection , listen to Drivin sideways and Sailor. Then saw them with Boston twice, and finally at Soldier Field in Chicago Rick said "I want them to hear us in Indiana" when he came out
    During Beyond the Universe They rubbed the guitars together by the bridges for a sound effect,and then backed up from each other and swung their guitars by the straps and on the third swing they tossed their guitars to each other , and I am talking about 15" high and about 25 " apart and then they threw them back to each other. And with their real guitars, an old Gibson Special and a BC rich Mocking bird . I have never seen anyone ever do this before or after , not Hendrix or Jimmy Page or EVH. The Bass player Kenny Aaronson and the drummer Vinny Appiece were on time too. These guys embarrassed some of the bands they backed and a better guitar duo never existed in hard rock. The radio was not kind to them either. Then came ED in 78, saw that one too up close ,mighty impressive to see the not yet famous ,hungry Van Halen and the White and Black stripped guitar. The 70's rocked with live R&R

Listen to Johnny Winter And Live or Edgar Winters Roadwork album ... Rick Derringer was amazing. ... waaay underrated in his time

Edgar Winter‘s Roadwork Album is one of my all time favoutires!
    Gruhn offers some of Rick‘s guitars for quite a time...

Quote Originally Posted by efpe View Post
    Edgar Winter‘s Roadwork Album is one of my all time favoutires!
    Gruhn offers some of Rick‘s guitars for quite a time...
    I saw them live at that time. One of my greatest concerts ever and Rick kicked ass the whole show.

And they were opening for Black Sabbath!
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

Great player, and versatile, too. He plays killer bass in this live clip from his Edgar Winter days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkS4q1vjhJI

Les Paul Forum Member

tobacco road!
    speaking of the rock n roll hall of fame have the doobies been inducted? i know inxs and janet jackson have.

Slide on "Showbiz Kids" is, I think, all he played on. He's certainly not underrated by me. The band "Derringer" that he had in the late '70's-80's was one of the best live acts of the time. I'm talking about the lineup w/ Danny Johnson, Kenny Aaronson and Myron Grombacher. Incredible band.
    Also played the solo on Chain Lightning, right? And what a fabulous solo that was!

To answer the OP's question...at least in the US, he was absolutely not the least bit underrated. Every rock/blues guitar player I knew was well aware of Rick's skills and track record. He was a bonafide badass and we all knew it.
    Full Disclosure: I built Valclone Amps