The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member

Is it me or was/is Rick Derringer a very underrated guitarist?

https://youtu.be/XdHnGyU1yJQ
    https://youtu.be/X-21aFumRY8

You can see him on a vintage Black Beauty in the one video and although he uses an assortment of other guitars in the full concert, I think there is at least one song and solo in which he sports a LP...not sure if vintage, but likely given his history and the time frame.

Re: Is it me or was/is Rick Derringer a very underrated guitarist?

Wouldn't list him with the greats but he'll always have a special place in guitar history with me....he can definitely can play and had some great moments. Love Edgar Winter's incredible band White Trash "Road Work" Live album (Rick with an ES-355 IIRC). One of the great live records of all time as far as I'm concerned. Funny to see this and remember how tiny he was. Would see him at the Texas shows regurlarly a few years back....don't know if he still goes...some other guys would. He shared that Edgar/Johnny connection for years as well as record many of the same tunes.

excellent player ! I'm a fan !
    Does your dog bite ? I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOUR DOG DIDN'T BITE ! He's not my dog.

Les Paul Forum Member Luke Gibson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j45 View Post
    Wouldn't list him with the greats but he'll always have a special place in guitar history with me....he can definitely can play and had some great moments. Love Edgar Winter's incredible band White Trash "Road Work" Live album (Rick with an ES-355 IIRC). One of the great live records of all time as far as I'm concerned. Funny to see this and remember how tiny he was. Would see him at the Texas shows regurlarly a few years back....don't know if he still goes...some other guys would. He shared that Edgar/Johnny connection for years as well as record many of the same tunes.
    +1
    Lost in the middle of a Brazillian rosewood
    fingerboard......

http://s97.photobucket.com/home/LukeGibson69

He was pretty highly thought of back in the ‘70s. But he didn’t have a lot of hit singles, and then EVH came along towards the end of the decade and changed guitar playing. By the ‘80s Rick Derringer, Pat Travers and the rest of those guys went back to the club grind…

He played on a bunch of Steely Dan stuff.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    wow...never knew that...

someone should mention "Hang On Sloopy"

after Big Al's post I had to Wikipedia Rick and saw more "unkowns" trivia.. at least by me... he played guitar on Weird Al's "Eat It "....parody of Michel Jackson's Beat It doing a take on EVH's solo... With the Hang On Sloopy hit the McCoys were the opener for the Rolling Stones' entire 1966 American tour, ...his name is "Zehringer"... played solos on Alice Cooper's "Killer" album...played guitar on Joe Walsh's first solo album... did "ringer" guitar duties on Kiss albums (uncredited of course)....quite a career...
    Last edited by j45; 07-13-15 at 01:38 PM.

All Access/Backstage Pass lpnv59's Avatar

Underrated in what way? As a guitar player he is well known and as AFAIK, has never needed a day job unrelated to music or guitar playing since he began his career as a teenager fronting The McCoys.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBg3bvhZPZA
    No hes not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but since when has that exclusion undermined anyone's Rock & Roll credentials or lessened the publics value in someones music?

I think he rates fine.
    "It's a Marshall bubby. It gets loud." Ace Frehley

I love that record, and also the "Johnny Winter And" record that he played on. The rhythm playing on songs like "On A Limb" and "Ain't That Kindness" was great!!!

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    I love that record, and also the "Johnny Winter And" record that he played on. The rhythm playing on songs like "On A Limb" and "Ain't That Kindness" was great!!!
    + 1.

Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post

No hes not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, .
    Seems to have picked up drummer they may have heard of there, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SyD9cfORSk

Les Paul Forum Member Elliot Easton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Slide on "Showbiz Kids" is, I think, all he played on. He's certainly not underrated by me. The band "Derringer" that he had in the late '70's-80's was one of the best live acts of the time. I'm talking about the lineup w/ Danny Johnson, Kenny Aaronson and Myron Grombacher. Incredible band.
    "A little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing."

Quote Originally Posted by lpnv59 View Post
    Underrated in what way? As a guitar player he is well known and as AFAIK, has never needed a day job unrelated to music or guitar playing since he began his career as a teenager fronting The McCoys.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBg3bvhZPZA
    No hes not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but since when has that exclusion undermined anyone's Rock & Roll credentials or lessened the publics value in someones music?

I think he rates fine.

+1. I once saw him sit in with Les Paul at Fat Tuesdays and he held his own like a mofo.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Easton View Post
    Slide on "Showbiz Kids" is, I think, all he played on. He's certainly not underrated by me. The band "Derringer" that he had in the late '70's-80's was one of the best live acts of the time. I'm talking about the lineup w/ Danny Johnson, Kenny Aaronson and Myron Grombacher. Incredible band.
    That is a fact. I saw/heard them live, and they were tight as ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Easton View Post
    Saw the Derringer Band open for Frampton in Florida, during the solo at the end of Beyond The Universe they were throwing thier guitars back and forth to each other. I immediately went out and bought Derringer Live!
    fingerboard......

A Derringer alum Neil Geraldo.
    Does your dog bite ? I THOUGHT YOU SAID YOUR DOG DIDN'T BITE ! He's not my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Gibson View Post
    Saw the Derringer Band open for Frampton in Florida, during the solo at the end of Beyond The Universe they were throwing thier guitars back and forth to each other.
    I saw that too-they were amazing at that!

Les Paul Forum Member Shantrick's Avatar

If memory serves me, did he not play on some Kiss albums as well? You know the routine, Ace "Couldn't make it that day"

Quote Originally Posted by Shantrick View Post
    If memory serves me, did he not play on some Kiss albums as well? You know the routine, Ace "Couldn't make it that day"
    Indeed he did, I think it was one of the tracks on the studio side of "Alive II", Rick also toured with Cyndi Lauper in the early 80's.
    fingerboard......

Quote Originally Posted by DonRowe View Post
    A Derringer alum Neil Geraldo.

Another monster player.

Saw Derringer right after the album came out at Central Park with Danny Johnson, Kenny Aaronson and Vinnie Appice, one great show, back when concerts were concerts, two Marshall stacks apiece and nothin but wailin guitars. He did a cover of Bowie's Rebel Rebel that was just killer.
    There are only two kinds of people in this world, ignorant and intelligent, which one are you.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtJoe View Post
    Saw Derringer right after the album came out at Central Park with Danny Johnson, Kenny Aaronson and Vinnie Appice, one great show, back when concerts were concerts, two Marshall stacks apiece and nothin but wailin guitars. He did a cover of Bowie's Rebel Rebel that was just killer.

Speaking of 'Rebel, Rebel', don't get me started on Alan Parker...the solo on 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' is the pinnacle of human achievement, IMO. And he's largely forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    Speaking of 'Rebel, Rebel', don't get me started on Alan Parker...the solo on 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' is the pinnacle of human achievement, IMO. And he's largely forgotten.

I thought that was Jimmy Page who played on that song?

Quote Originally Posted by Shantrick View Post
    I thought that was Jimmy Page who played on that song?
    Some say little Jim, some say Allan Holdsworth.

.......Love Edgar Winter's incredible band White Trash "Road Work" Live album (Rick with an ES-355 IIRC). One of the great live records of all time as far as I'm concerned........
    +1000!!!
    "Some people been askin me....... where's your brother?"
    "Yeeeeeaaaaah!"

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DonRowe View Post
    excellent player ! I'm a fan !
    I saw Rick with Johnny Winter And in San Francisco circa 1971. He was playing a very nice Sunburst Les Paul, can't recall the amp setup. During the set he exclaimed " think I'll dance for awhile!" and proceeded to drop the guitar to the stage...I like Rick's playing. My main complaint is his tone tends to be muddy and heavy with effects, especially flanging. He also put Dimarzio Super Distortion humbuckers in his original Burst and Explorer and that was, shall we say, a "no-no!"

Les Paul Forum Member Flying Fish's Avatar

I saw him in a little pub on Long Island, NY about 20 years ago. He was great.

Les Paul Forum Member

I've always been a fan....yes, I am old enough to have known him form the McCoys days! I kept up with him with those Johnny Winter albums in the early '70's. I went to see him as a front band for Van Halen on Van Halen's first national tour...smaller auditorium here in Lubbock. I went to see Derringer, and I loved his playing. EVH and band impressed me, but I went to see Derringer.
    The Cyndi Lauper show in Paris showcases Derringers breadth...he is more than just a rock guitarist. He has a tasty approach to more than one form of music, imho.
    "As soon as man does not take his existence for granted, but beholds it as something unfathomably mysterious, thought begins." Albert Schweitzer

It's you...

I went to a Kansas show in 76/77 because a friend had tickets and i had a car....Rick opened for Kansas and just blew me away, I would say it was my first full out guitar assault show. Just him and his two Marshalls, bass and drums. I remember him mostly playing an LP, might possibly had his Alex Axe at that time too.....just amazing that day. Having said that, other than that show he comes off as a great player who plays average music. But deep down, I know what he is capable of because of that show.

***Please check out my music***

https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=14302960296

Just to be precise about my statement, I think it's you. I don't think anybody underrates him. He is awesome. I think most peeps know that.

Rick has always been the "All American Boy" of the US rock scene. Ever since I first heard him in Johnny Winter And and the Edgar Winter LP Roadwork I have enjoyed his playing immensely! I have all his solo LP's and especially am fond of the two Derringer LP's Derringer and Sweet Evil.
    Rick also wore a producers hat successfully and is one of our greats all round.
    He has worked with and been surrounded with some of the industry's greatest.
    Great to see him mentioned and glad he has found peace in his life with his Christianity.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-21aFumRY8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3o3SUcVrsQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6v5..._8AvxpDVQnbVLS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF7a3l50aMw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACff...A493E1E5CFA713
    Emerald

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
    Rick has always been the "All American Boy" of the US rock scene. Ever since I first heard him in Johnny Winter And and the Edgar Winter LP Roadwork I have enjoyed his playing immensely! I have all his solo LP's and especially am fond of the two Derringer LP's Derringer and Sweet Evil.
    Rick also wore a producers hat successfully and is one of our greats all round.
    He has worked with and been surrounded with some of the industry's greatest.
    Great to see him mentioned and glad he has found peace in his life with his Christianity.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-21aFumRY8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3o3SUcVrsQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6v5..._8AvxpDVQnbVLS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF7a3l50aMw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACff...A493E1E5CFA713
    Emerald

Has anyone ever noticed the Red Strat on the cover of ALL American Boy has a Gibson type Stop Tailpiece?
    fingerboard......

I always thought that Derringer and Suzi Quatro back in the mid '70's could have been brother and sister.

Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Gibson View Post
    Has anyone ever noticed the Red Strat on the cover of ALL American Boy has a Gibson type Stop Tailpiece?
    Wraptail!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev.WillieVK View Post
    Wraptail!

Wonder how high the strings were off the fingerboard?
    fingerboard......

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    The Cyndi Lauper show in Paris showcases Derringers breadth...he is more than just a rock guitarist. He has a tasty approach to more than one form of music, imho.
    Great version of Money Changes Everything from that show, the whole band is just killing it.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Just to be precise about my statement, I think it's you. I don't think anybody underrates him. He is awesome. I think most peeps know that.
    I guess you are right...maybe I phrased it wrong and should have put it more along the lines of 'not thought of as often as he could be'. He clearly has some excellent chops. Glad to hear from many who saw him live!

Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CPM55 View Post
    Glad to hear from many who saw him live!
    Come to a couple of guitar shows like Orlando and Dallas, and you can see him 'live' too!
    (he demos in the Warrior Guitars booth)

Conveniently located between New York and Miami

Approx. 1981 timeframe Derringer came to the college I attended. When the opening act finished playing (and throwing big black rubber rats into the audience--I believe it was the band "Ratt") most of the audience left. To this day I don't understand why. I went to see Rick play. Rick came out and when he had seen the nearly empty auditorium, he left the stage for several minutes. I was told later that he was not real happy about it (understandable.) But, the professional that he is, he came back out and just KILLED IT. It was almost like having a private show for me and a few friends, but I gotta say I can't think of anyone who would have appreciated it more than those who were there. I was front row and center.

P.S. Also glad to see him find peace in his Christian walk.
    "Be the ball."