• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How a beat up early 1969 LP Std became "The Swan" The Story of 53774X

moonweasel

Fred, is it ok if I use some of your tenon pics on my site at some point? I wont include your serial number other than the first three digits. Its a really unique opportunity to see the neck joint disassembled and the routing channels without the maple in the way. :) It's ok to say no. :)

Secondly, did your luthier observe whether or not hide glue was used from the factory? I don't see the type of residue that would have been left by modern wood glues, but I am NOOOOO expert.

FlyingFred67

Fred, is it ok if I use some of your tenon pics on my site at some point? I wont include your serial number other than the first three digits. Its a really unique opportunity to see the neck joint disassembled and the routing channels without the maple in the way. :) It's ok to say no. :)

Secondly, did your luthier observe whether or not hide glue was used from the factory? I don't see the type of residue that would have been left by modern wood glues, but I am NOOOOO expert.

Shure you can use the pics! It would be a honour for me to provide some new facts to your extensive LSLP research! Regarding the serial you can use it too. Funny as the last Digit isn´t readable for shure anymore.
For the hide glue I will ask Mathias cause I don´t know either honestly..:hank

Marcel M

Wow! You picked a killer top, it looks great! Thanks for sharing all the pics and the story. I really enjoyed going through it.

moonweasel

Shure you can use the pics! It would be a honour for me to provide some new facts to your extensive LSLP research! Regarding the serial you can use it too. Funny as the last Digit isn´t readable for shure anymore.
For the hide glue I will ask Mathias cause I don´t know either honestly..:hank

Cool Fred! I got your email too, thanks. It might be a while as I am busy with other things right now, but keep an eye on the site from time to time. Thank you.

Hey Fred, that looks fantastic :peace2 I think that I sold you that ABR-1 that is on your guitar. I have a nice set of tuners that you might be interested in. PM me for details if you want and enjoy your "new" guitar :salude

neuroy

You could not save the original binding, I guess ?

What did you choose as binding material ? You did the binding the 50´s style or the wide late 60´s way ?

Very nice work ! Congrats

FlyingFred67

You could not save the original binding, I guess ?

What did you choose as binding material ? You did the binding the 50´s style or the wide late 60´s way ?

Very nice work ! Congrats
I choose to do it 50´s style with the original same ABS material. It went pretty well but as the body binding routing was already there it is slightly thicker than an original 50´s Binding.

FlyingFred67

I just couldn´t resist...

vtz9tcao.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FlyingFred67

The only 2 Guitars that I have left but I think I don´t need more..Left 1969 Std 53774X Right 1969 Custom 534478
t89th9ta.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

GuitarDean

Fantastic work... I love seeing and reading about stuff like this. One day I am going to find a truly beat to hell LP and do a total restore on it in my workshop. Just really great work guys and congrats all around. Play it with love.:salude:salude

sidekick

Looks really great and (all the relative things considered) what an outstanding restoration ... :)

Play and enjoy in good health.

FlyingFred67

Last Sunday I first played it live at a Bluesfestival WOW Sounds really amazing!
r48kjsa8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FlyingFred67

How did you fix the belly cut on the back?
I left the whole backside as it was as I didn´t care about the belly cut which isn´t very big fortunatly.
Also I wanted to save most of the original back finish as possible.
At the End it is also very nice having the guitar strapped while playing.