• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Yngwie's art

Dave P

You have to be a little nuts to sit around at home wearing puffy pirate shirts and leather pants. :hee

lure555

Swirling Vortex of Sound, Classic Club
When Yngwie was touring behind the Rising Force album I knew a girl that was partying with him and the band at the hotel. The singer was taking a piss and Yngwie decided he needed to go worse. Busted into the bathroom, threw the singer out and took his turn. A perfect example of his attitude toward singers.:hee

shred

There are a ton of great Yngwie stories from the unofficial bio:

Demanding large drums is one thing, but they also needed to be correctly colored. “Yngwie wasn’t there. We put up the drums in Criteria. I didn’t wanna use a double pedal, so I needed two bass drums. We had a drum set and rented a second bass drum, a blue drum kit with one green bass drum. They’re the same drums. Who gives a fuck? I know who! I could hear him: ‘Macaluso, what the fuck is this? A blue drum and a green bass drum on my album? Do you think this is a fucking circus? Get me a blue bass drum. We spent hours searching for one. Criteria must cost $400 an hour, and he spent that much just trying to find a blue drum. After a while, he realized it cost money and reluctantly agreed to use the green one. It sounds the fucking same. True story.”

John offers a description of a normal day of rehearsing with Yngwie:

“We rehearsed for three weeks. No days off; not allowed. We get to the studio and put in an order for beers. ‘I’ll have a six- pack of Beck’s. You’ll have two six- packs of Corona.’ You were not allowed to touch Yngwie’s beer. If you did, he’d freak out. ‘Macaluso, did you take one of my beers?’ So you’d drink for eight hours, and Yngwie would realize he’d just wasted eight expensive hours, so he’d yell, ‘What the hell am I paying you for? Get behind those drums!’ Then you’d play two Deep Purple songs and then drink some more. That would happen every day for three weeks. Then, a few days before the tour, Yngwie would realize that we needed to play his new songs. ‘What am I paying you for? Playing Purple songs?’ That’s when we’d play his stuff, but you had to learn most of the songs on the road. At rehearsal, we’d just play Deep Purple— ‘Lazy,’ ‘Smoke on The Water,’ ‘Highway Star’— and then drink more beer.”

http://www.amazon.com/As-Above-Belo...p/B00COUA2VG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

shred

Doc Wiley, music director at the club Washington Square in Miami, touched on the subject of Yngwie’s bar habits in an interview with Harmony Central : “I had to throw Yngwie Malmsteen out a few times. My bartender came up to me one night and asked, ‘Do you know a guy called “Iggly Walmspeed”?’ I laughed and nodded, and Jeff said that this guy had ordered a beer at the bar, but he didn’t want to pay. Instead, he had yelled, ‘Don’t you know who I am? I’m Iggly Walmspeed!’ I went out and introduced them. ‘Jeff, this is Yngwie Malmsteen. That’ll be three dollars for the beer, Yngwie.’ He became furious and refused to pay. He said it was an insult to even ask him.”

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Doc Wiley, music director at the club Washington Square in Miami, touched on the subject of Yngwie’s bar habits in an interview with Harmony Central : “I had to throw Yngwie Malmsteen out a few times. My bartender came up to me one night and asked, ‘Do you know a guy called “Iggly Walmspeed”?’ I laughed and nodded, and Jeff said that this guy had ordered a beer at the bar, but he didn’t want to pay. Instead, he had yelled, ‘Don’t you know who I am? I’m Iggly Walmspeed!’ I went out and introduced them. ‘Jeff, this is Yngwie Malmsteen. That’ll be three dollars for the beer, Yngwie.’ He became furious and refused to pay. He said it was an insult to even ask him.”

It was probably a bigger insult to serve him. :ganz

shred

I thought you'd like that one TW :)

More:

We discussed whether Yngwie should do a blues album, like Gary Moore, since Yngwie would often play blues with finesse and great feeling at soundchecks. Yngwie wasn’t so sure. “Blues is made up of just three chords,” he laughed. “Until I’m blue in the face, I will do my thing. No one comes up to Clapton and asks him to play arpeggios or some Phrygian scales. If there was a general solution in life, we’d all follow it. I’ve always followed me. I want to play acoustic, classical, hard rock and blues…the whole turd.”

stevechilders

on a positive note they do come with a "Authenticity Certificate" .... hell he'll probably sell every single one... sucker born every minute.

shred

Hey Steve... The interesting thing is, abstract light is an art form that's been around for awhile. The YJM stuff is kinda par for the course... Check this "legit" art out:

image.jpg1_zpstxqj52k2.jpg

I love Malmsteen's playing but at the same time, I recognize his lack of self awareness and the buffoonery that often ensues... That said, as an artist it works for him because in a way he's incorruptible --for good or ill... His lack of self awareness insulates him and thus ultimately insures he's artistically authentic... If you get a chance to see him live, do it even if you hate him... A really unique guitarist despite the negatives.

Last edited:

shred

Another excerpt (Derek Sherinian)

” By the time a tour was planned, for South America, disaster had struck. Yngwie couldn’t have picked a worse day to fly from America to Mexico City. The band had tickets on a flight that left on September 11, 2001. “All flights were cancelled. We couldn’t leave, and the tour had to be postponed for a week,” Derek explains. “We finally made it, and the tour reached Puerto Alegre in Brazil on October 3. It was just your average gig; everything went fine. Then Yngwie introduced the band: ‘Doogie White from Scotland, Patrick Johansson from Sweden…and Derek Sherinian from the U.S.A.’ The crowd started booing. We couldn’t figure out why. Then came the time for Yngwie’s solo. Yngwie always plays a few notes from the ‘Star- Spangled Banner.’ The crowd booed even more and started to chant, ‘Osama, Osama…’ To me, as an American after 9/11, it was an insult.” Mick Cervino also recalls the incident: “Rather than backing down and giving in to their messed up sentiment, Yngwie confronted them by playing the ‘Star- Spangled Banner’ during every song’s solo as the booing got louder.” “Yngwie was pissed off,” Derek continues. “When we were done, he grabbed the mike and screamed, ‘Good night, and you know what? God bless America…and fuck you all!’

http://www.amazon.com/As-Above-Belo...p/B00COUA2VG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:

Shantrick

I saw Yngwie open for AC/DC many years ago and I will admit I was amazed. I even own one of his signature Stratocasters and until you have
played on a scalloped neck don't knock it, it's worth checking out.

I just find after a while I get tired of his style. Neo classical wears thin after a song or two. My ears wander to other things.
My personal spin on his blues playing is it's lame. It lacks feeling and emotion. It's pentatonic notes but flatter than piss on a plate.

I'd like to check out the book, I would be interested in the stories. lol

lure555

Swirling Vortex of Sound, Classic Club
I just remembered a story an instructor told me when I was at MI. He was playing a Jazz gig at the Baked Potato when "Iggly" walked in. After a while he demands to sit in with the band. He had his guitar with him. The band just shrugs and lets him sit in. He immediately starts dweedling over everything. After a bit the band look at one another and start throwing changes at him. His beloved Harmonic Minor scales ain't workin' no more. He gets pissed, storms off the stage, out of the club... out of their lives.:laugh2:

shred

A friend of mine met Yngwie at a meet n greet years ago and had a pretty good story. Yngwie was sitting with some groupie type chick and this guy says, "Hey, Yngwie how come you don't play the red guitar anymore?" and the chick chimes in, "Yeah, why don't you play the red guitar?"

Yngwie turns to her and snaps, "Shut up, you know nothing about guitars." :biggrin:

Another friend of mine was backstage at an arena show where YJM was opening and saw Yngwie backstage. He yelled, "Hey Yngwie great set."

Yngwie reply was, "What did you expect."

shred

But we all love Shred.

Thanks sonar... I love you crazy guys too :salude

Cool this thread got bumped. I suppose the amusing thing is even though photobucket is blurring out my pics, it doesn’t negatively affect the “art.” Except for the carp that is... I like the carp :biggrin:

image.jpg1_zpsqtqy6zgf.jpg