• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

John Fogerty and his Late Sixties Les Pauls

Aloha_Mark

Fogerty owns a 1968 Les Paul Custom, and a 196X Les Paul Goldtop, according to Premier Guitar Magazine. I've seen pics of a LSLP custom with a Bigsby too (2nd pic).

fogerty_premonition.jpg

FOGERTY_21.jpg

Source: http://www.la.com/ci_11397690

The goldtop is shown around the 9+ minute mark on this video:

His tech could not confirm the year of the goldtop. Is it a 1968 or 1969?

Also, there is a footnote over the video indicating that the BB shown was a 1970 model. However, John probably owns many guitars, so he likely has experienced his share of 68's. Wikipedia even states that Fogerty owns a 1956 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop.

Last edited:

Reno_1ted

The Goldtop looks to be a 72/58 reissue to me. Wrap tail with no evidence of the old ABR bridge and also embossed P90 covers. Couldnt get a good look at the headstock there, but that would be my guess. So not a LSLP.

Those 72/58 reissues (which actually more of a 54 reissue but for some reason they called them 58 reissues) were / are cool guitars. Even though in 72/73, they made them to the original spec (no pancake, no volute, small headstock etc). So can see why if owner not quite sure of date he got it, and tech knows 70s = pancake, he might assume its also 60s.

lhric

Fogerty owns a 1968 Les Paul Custom, and a 196X Les Paul Goldtop, according to Premier Guitar Magazine. I've seen pics of a LSLP custom with a Bigsby too (2nd pic).

fogerty_premonition.jpg

FOGERTY_21.jpg

Source: http://www.la.com/ci_11397690

The goldtop is shown around the 9+ minute mark on this video:

His tech could not confirm the year of the goldtop. Is it a 1968 or 1969?

Also, there is a footnote over the video indicating that the BB shown was a 1970 model. However, John probably owns many guitars, so he likely has experienced his share of 68's. Wikipedia even states that Fogerty owns a 1956 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop.

The goldtop is definitely a 71/72 54/58 reissue. You can also see the "Gibson" logo stamped on the top p90 covers. The bodies are also a slightly thicker mahogany build as seen on this guitar as well.

Aloha_Mark

Thanks for the information, Reno and lhric. My brain must have been in a fog yesterday, not recognizing that the '68 goldtops had ABR+TP. Especially since I own a small headstock 1968 that was routed for buckers. John certainly seems to like wraparound tailpieces on his Goldtops. :spabout