• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Nickel Hardware added to my Traditional!

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I just got this 2012 Traditional:
2012_top.jpg

It was just too shiny and "modern looking" so I dressed it up with a nickel ABR-1 and Tailpiece. Amber switch tip, amber tophat knobs, nickel pickup covers and Kluson single-ring tuners with conversion bushings, and Creamtone rings.

Now it looks "right"

traditional1.jpg

traditional2.jpg

traditional3.jpg

rockabilly69

It was just too shiny and "modern looking" so I dressed it up with a nickel ABR-1 and Tailpiece. Amber switch tip, amber tophat knobs, nickel pickup covers and Kluson single-ring tuners with conversion bushings, and Creamtone rings.

I'm assuming you went with a light weight tail, and with that, and with the ABR-1, did you notice any change in tone?

Wilko

I always use the light-weight tail and prefer them as they are much "brighter" and livelier in feel and tone. I'm one who really prefers more resonance and chime when unplugged. Yes, it hopped up this guitar quite a bit.

This guitar is actually the best overall sounding Les Paul I've ever owned--that includes several '68s and the '56 that I sold recently. The '56 had a noticeable stiffer neck which extended the low end response and feel, and the PAFs were magical. Maybe this guitar can capture some of that with age.

Wilko

oh, and I'll probably do a tinted clearcoat on it as well. :hmm

traditional1_tinted.jpg

Last edited:

CDTGuitar

Looks good! Very similar burst to my '13. In the light of the "after" pics, the binding and plastics appear white...I wish that's how they really were. Did you change the switch chip as well?

DanD

Very nice Trad! :salude

That's a nicer looking top than many a R. :dude:

I'm getting ready to do the same to my '13 Std. With Gibsons' 'new' solder-less wiring it will be real easy to change back if I decide to sell/trade down the road.

Parts are covered except for the ABR I nickel conversion bridge.

Enjoy the Trad! it's 100% nicer than before! :peace2

Wilko

Alright, the pickup covers were just too square so I plunked down the cash for DMC!

After playing PAFs for the last 15 years, these look just right:

trad_dmc.jpg

CharliePorter

It looks the part - a great improvement.

I have "aged" the existing parts on my Traditional by rubbing them down with an abrasive pad. I used the foam-backed, super-fine variety. They now look like old nickel parts.

Obviously you can still swap out the parts if you're unhappy with the results. However, I can't tell the difference - neither can the audience!

Regards,

Charlie.

dcdefend

I've been looking for a "gullwing" flamed Les Paul. Didn't see any Historics that fit the bill, so I expanded my search to the USA line. Surprisingly, I noticed that Gibson put a lot of gullwing flamed tops on the 2014 Traditionals. Then I read that these were non-weight relieved and had special 59 pickups and traditional electroincs. I located one on ebay that was in Japan. The price was reasonable, the shipping was free, the seller had good reviews and the flame was perfect. It arrived a week ago via very fast shipping. Since I like Historic style appointments, I have added the following: from Creme Tone - control plate covers, switch ring, truss rod cover, ABR-1 no wire bridge and lightweight stop bar; from Gibson - historic tuners and from my own parts stock some top hat knobs. I will probably add OX/4 pickups and send it to Historic Makeovers to make it look a little more Hot 'Lana in appearance. Yes, I've (or will) end up spending about the same as a Historic, but not as much as a Custom Shop Hot 'Lana. And it's been a fun project.

vibroluxe

Beautiful Trad - killer top! Much prefer the nickel of the chrome as well

Got a shot of the headstock with the new parts?

Last edited:

Big Al

There's no accounting for taste.

I've never been accused as having any.

Like the nickle for vintage vibe, which is what I think Wilko was going for. Not all of mine are retro types and I keep the perfectly fine chrome original hardware. I find nothing objectionable about it at all.

1all's Pub

I've never been accused as having any.

Like the nickle for vintage vibe, which is what I think Wilko was going for. Not all of mine are retro types and I keep the perfectly fine chrome original hardware. I find nothing objectionable about it at all.

I've kept the chrome on many of mine as well (just because I don't want the hassle/expense of swapping hardware out)... but I do wish they'd have all come in nickel.

Big Al

I've kept the chrome on many of mine as well (just because I don't want the hassle/expense of swapping hardware out)... but I do wish they'd have all come in nickel.

Lots of folks would agree with that.

Kris Ford

Funny how chrome has been standard for 52 years, but only nickel is "correct"

deytookerjaabs

Nah, chrome RUINED Les Pauls, and I've got the list of the other abominations that ruined them:

Titebond, stronger metal alloys, more durable modern plastics, weight variation, reliable tuning machines, missing 3/4 cubic inch of a 20+ inch slab of mahogany, thicker/stable peghead, LP Custom binding width, laser consistent angles/inlays/dots/dimensions, PCB boards with built in wiring mods & quick connect jacks, and a GLOSS coat of lacquer, go figure!!

It's almost like those idiots at Gibson are using the most proven materials & ideas of the day to build slightly better guitars :laugh2: They would've never done that in the 50's.

I'll go crawl back into my cave where I belong :)

AndyMan

Les Paul Forum Member, Classic Club
I did the same thing to my 2010 Traditional (minus the aging)! I didn't do the tuners yet though - are the conversion bushings the Stew Mac ones that go from 10mm down to vintage size? Were there "dents" from the stock screwed in bushings?