• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Historic vs. True Historic

tangerine

Good morning everyone.

I would like to ask two questions to you :

1.) you think next year the historic line will be produced as before (before the true historic)?
2.) True Historic prices will be kept in line in 2016 (even producing Historics not true)?

Thank you.

I noticed that Gibson have been saying this in their blurb recently;

"Remember a True Historic the guitar must have the 5 digit period correct serial number and a COA that says "True Historic". Guitars sent out of the country with serial numbers that start with HS are Historic Select guitars. While they do share the same specs and plastic parts they are not part of the True Historic Series."

So TH are limited as promised and distinguish themselves from HS via the serial number, HS could be unlimited, and have the exact same specs as TH? CS have different specs. Maybe this is a backtrack after all, I haven't been following really as I'm not buying anything Gibson anytime soon

Why is this font appearing like this?

DanD

"...

So TH are limited as promised and distinguish themselves from HS via the serial number, HS could be unlimited, and have the exact same specs as TH? CS have different specs. Maybe this is a backtrack after all, ...

I'd venture a guess that the HS model line was planned out well in advance. When I read Gibson was limiting production to 200 1960 THRs for worldwide distribution I knew they had to have something else up their sleeve other than the short tenon CS model line.

Too many dealers place special run orders like the Featherweight series from Wildwood. I knew they weren't going to downgrade these runs to the CS model specs. :hmm

However, I'd have thought Gibson would have continued to use 2014 spec on these special dealer runs as they made such a big deal of touting the limited availability of the THR spec guitars.

Take any claim from Gibson of 'limited' with a grain of salt. If it sells they'll find I way to meet the demand. The consumers promise of a 'limited edition' is limited to serial number font in this situation. Other differences I've seen used to make new models from a limited run include body color and fretboard wood.

The only limit from Gibson is how many they can sell! :hee :laugh2: :ha

emg32

Production for 2015 does not seem anymore limited than previous years from what I am seeing. They are every where now. Every dealer has them and they are not hard to find. This is after only a few months of production with over 5 months left in this year. You have the TH's, the aged TH's, Nicky's, Ace Frehley's, Donna's coming, etc...

Gibson may shuffle the serial numbers to make them look more limited but in reality it seems nothing out of the norm. Don't see 2016 being anything but a continuation. Gibson isn't going to put money into a hand sanding line, different plastics, etc.. just to revert back to the 2014 Historic style next year. They have always loved using the "Limited" term to boost sales and price upcharges. The 2015 TH's, CC's, Artist runs, etc... will just continue on until the next minor changes and price increases.

demundo

I agree with the guy who said he would wait for the truly, truly historic. besides I have had one of my historics with a neck reset, and other corrections, ending up far below the price point of the true historic. Gibson has cried wolf too mant times for me to care anymore.

Last edited:

Big Al

I bought my Les Pauls because I play Les Pauls. I have always been picky about guitars and tried to get only ones that spoke to me. I have excellent playing and sounding Les Paul's from USA Studios to 2013 R9 and R8. I bought every one of them because they seemed to be excellent in every way that mattered. To me, might not be so cool for someone else.

I never was one to bitch and complain about plastic, hues or hidden mold marks, I did change knobs to cheap Allparts that looked right to me and I kept the stock tuners. That is me, I have read hundreds of posts about how Gibson don't do the plastic right, the nut, the color, the rings and pocket chip, the keys the toggle switch the covers the buttons, on and on. Not my concern, but it sure seems like it was for a lot of others. Nothing in the new TH series makes me feel any less enthused about my older R series, just like my newer 2013's do not diminish my older 99 and 2000.

I'd buy a new THR9 if I had that kinda money. If my income allowed I'd be awash in a sea of gear. I just cannot afford it. Just like I couldn't afford to have a Makeover and buy all the extra "Vintage Correct Plastics and components". I figured it out and the TH is cheaper than doing that and the Les Paul stays stock.

What I don't get is why some are so worked up about it? There are plenty of pristine used R series Les Pauls on the market at fair prices. The new CS9's that I tried were really nice. We got what we were clamoring for, didn't we?

These things have a way of settling over time. I think we just have to ride it out. Is finding good used or NOS R series guitars not good enough? If I were in the market it would satisfy me.

Last edited:

slammintone

Funny, my 2014 R7 smokes my old 2007 R7. Not even close!!! Better neck finish work, better neck shape, better finish overall, tighter hardware, and WAY better tone!

My 2014 R8 smokes the 2007 R9 I had in every way imaginable. Just as you said, it's not even close. But I'm sure there was some much better R9s from 2007 than the one or two I've had.

GotTheSilver

"Remember a True Historic the guitar must have the 5 digit period correct serial number and a COA that says "True Historic". Guitars sent out of the country with serial numbers that start with HS are Historic Select guitars. While they do share the same specs and plastic parts they are not part of the True Historic Series."

So TH are limited as promised and distinguish themselves from HS via the serial number, HS could be unlimited, and have the exact same specs as TH? CS have different specs. Maybe this is a backtrack after all, I haven't been following really as I'm not buying anything Gibson anytime soon

Why is this font appearing like this?

True Historic production is in no way limited. To produce the exact same guitar and call it something different just because the serial number is different is absurd. They are the same thing. There was speculation a while back that Gibson was doing this in part because the used market was flooded and prices of used Reissues was dropping, which I would presume would hurt the demand for new sales. Well, it seems like prices of used Reissues have continued to drop. I expect this may continue, as Gibson keeps pumping out more and more guitars with essentially the same specs (save for new color plastics and other minor differences). It is a good time to buy a used Reissue! It will be interesting to see what the prices are on the used True Historics, CCs and Artist Signature models in 2-3 years. Of course, by then Gibson will come out with other series they claim to be even more correct!

goldtop0

What's a HS? other than what's written above.
Any pics anywhere?

class5lp

True Historic production is in no way limited. To produce the exact same guitar and call it something different just because the serial number is different is absurd. They are the same thing. There was speculation a while back that Gibson was doing this in part because the used market was flooded and prices of used Reissues was dropping, which I would presume would hurt the demand for new sales. Well, it seems like prices of used Reissues have continued to drop. I expect this may continue, as Gibson keeps pumping out more and more guitars with essentially the same specs (save for new color plastics and other minor differences). It is a good time to buy a used Reissue! It will be interesting to see what the prices are on the used True Historics, CCs and Artist Signature models in 2-3 years. Of course, by then Gibson will come out with other series they claim to be even more correct!

You are wrong about that. Dealers will tell you that they have customers that will only buy a 58,59, or 60 reissue with a vintage correct 5 digit serial number for example 9 5001. Dealers will also tell you that some of their customers wont even buy a reissue late in the year when Gibson uses a 6 digit serial number. That is the reason the True Historic's are limited. If you want a guitar with a historic serial number and all the upgraded plastics than this is what you buy as there are only 800 of them for the world. Now look to some guys they care about a period correct serial number and plastics and I get that but for the customers of dealers that I have described above that's all they will buy. There are collectors out there that wont buy a CS or HS guitar no matter what.

class5lp

What's a HS? other than what's written above.
Any pics anywhere?

An HS serial number guitar stand for "Historic Select" These guitar have all the True Historic specs and plastics but don't carry the vintage correct serial number. They are essentially a True Historic guitar with a different serial number. Mostly these guitars are for export and some are even painted by Tom Murphy as in the Believer Burst run for Japan that I have written about here. Some may say that this is just Gibson's way of getting around of making more True Historic's and calling them something different but as I posted above some collectors wont buy a guitar without the vintage correct serial number. An example of an HS serial number is HS9 5001.

GotTheSilver

You are wrong about that. Dealers will tell you that they have customers that will only buy a 58,59, or 60 reissue with a vintage correct 5 digit serial number for example 9 5001. Dealers will also tell you that some of their customers wont even buy a reissue late in the year when Gibson uses a 6 digit serial number. That is the reason the True Historic's are limited. If you want a guitar with a historic serial number and all the upgraded plastics than this is what you buy as there are only 800 of them for the world. Now look to some guys they care about a period correct serial number and plastics and I get that but for the customers of dealers that I have described above that's all they will buy. There are collectors out there that wont buy a CS or HS guitar no matter what.

An HS serial number guitar stand for "Historic Select" These guitar have all the True Historic specs and plastics but don't carry the vintage correct serial number. They are essentially a True Historic guitar with a different serial number. Mostly these guitars are for export and some are even painted by Tom Murphy as in the Believer Burst run for Japan that I have written about here. Some may say that this is just Gibson's way of getting around of making more True Historic's and calling them something different but as I posted above some collectors wont buy a guitar without the vintage correct serial number. An example of an HS serial number is HS9 5001.

I love how you disagree with my point in one post, then immediately support it in the next post! :laugh2: Seriously, my point is not whether or not you call it a True Historic. If all the specs are the same, to me it is the same guitar. Let the collectors buy the ones within a certain range of serial numbers. It doesn't matter. To me, the guitars are still the same, and are not the Custom Shop short tenon model. Obviously, I don't care about the ink stamped on the back of the headstock. If I wanted a TH and all 800 were sold out, I would buy a HS and get the exact same thing as far as I am concerned, as opposed to buying a Custom Shop model with the short tenon.

On a side note, for the collectors you mention who do care about serial numbers, wouldn't only 999 of those guitars be possible in any given year? More than that and they would have to add another digit to the serial number, which would not be historically accurate. So in effect they are only limiting down from 999 to 800. Big whoop.

Big Al

Huh, all four of me R series have the 5 digit number. I know my 2000 # 9 0503 is pretty cool as it is very, very similar to a lot of the guitars w/ 9 0500 numbers. I always thought it was kinda cool that it looks like it belongs in that run. Other than that it is just it's number and I didn't buy a number.

Collectors are picky. I ranted about the ones that will not buy anything over a certain weight. Made me nuts, but collectors and collecting are not where I live so I have a harder time subscribing to their notions. Weight, big tops, certain colors only, certain numbers ect.. are not important to me, BUT ARE TO FOLKS THAT COLLECT THEM. Fair enough, I'm happy to buy the passed over less glamourous ones.

I remember back in the early 2000's that Gibson severely limited production of R9's and only a few select Dealers could have them, AFTER they paid a hefty fee to be such a special dealer. I remember the price made a jump and I thought, Fine, I can live with the ones I have, I'm not buying this shit.

It took, what one, two years for that to get sorted out? All I really have to say is, Glad I have what I have, even more so 'cause I goes the extra special, super duper serial number!!

tdarian

I do think there is a practical consideration with regards to weight though. My 2007 R6 is 9.15 pounds and it does "weigh on me" after a while if it is strapped on and I'm standing. I do love that guitar. I'm getting older though and notice these things now! My 8.11 pound R7 feels super light by comparison. I don't think I'd want to venture North of 9 pounds if it is a guitar I'm going to carry for a long time, but I'm "OK" at 9.

goldtop0

Thanks for that class5...........are these(export) guitars the same price as a TH?
Ones that aren't Tom Murphy painted.

DanD

... Mostly these guitars are for export and some are even painted by Tom Murphy as in the Believer Burst run for Japan that I have written about here. Some may say that this is just Gibson's way of getting around of making more True Historic's and calling them something different but as I posted above some collectors wont buy a guitar without the vintage correct serial number. An example of an HS serial number is HS9 5001.

All of Wildwood's and the other premier Gibson dealers' special runs like 'Wildwood's Featherweight' series are designated with HS (Historic Select) serial numbers. It's not just an export thing.:##

You really believe the serial numbers for the THRs actually mean anything now? :laugh2::spabout:hee

They may have meant something before Gibson pulled the plug on their exclusivity by making the same
guitars en masse with different serial numbering. :dang

class5lp

Thanks for that class5...........are these(export) guitars the same price as a TH?
Ones that aren't Tom Murphy painted.

The non Murphy painted HS guitars are priced along the same as a True Historic.

class5lp

All of Wildwood's and the other premier Gibson dealers' special runs like 'Wildwood's Featherweight' series are designated with HS (Historic Select) serial numbers. It's not just an export thing.:##

You really believe the serial numbers for the THRs actually mean anything now? :laugh2::spabout:hee

They may have meant something before Gibson pulled the plug on their exclusivity by making the same
guitars en masse with different serial numbering. :dang

Never said it was "just" an import thing. What I said was they were mostly for import. If the dealers in the states order them I am sure Gibson will build them.

class5lp

I love how you disagree with my point in one post, then immediately support it in the next post! :laugh2: Seriously, my point is not whether or not you call it a True Historic. If all the specs are the same, to me it is the same guitar. Let the collectors buy the ones within a certain range of serial numbers. It doesn't matter. To me, the guitars are still the same, and are not the Custom Shop short tenon model. Obviously, I don't care about the ink stamped on the back of the headstock. If I wanted a TH and all 800 were sold out, I would buy a HS and get the exact same thing as far as I am concerned, as opposed to buying a Custom Shop model with the short tenon.

On a side note, for the collectors you mention who do care about serial numbers, wouldn't only 999 of those guitars be possible in any given year? More than that and they would have to add another digit to the serial number, which would not be historically accurate. So in effect they are only limiting down from 999 to 800. Big whoop.

So I guess there is no difference to you then between a True Historic, Historic Select, Frehley, Donna, and Nicky? All the same guitar just different colors and serial numbers.

GotTheSilver

So I guess there is no difference to you then between a True Historic, Historic Select, Frehley, Donna, and Nicky? All the same guitar just different colors and serial numbers.

I have never seen a Historic Select in person, so my views are based solely on what I have read here, which I recognize is dangerous. But if it is true that THs and HSs have exactly the same specs other than the serial numbers, then to me they are the same guitar because I personally don't put any value in the serial number on the back of the headstock. I am happy to be corrected on this if I have the wrong understanding of the specs. To me, the CC and Artist series are different because they have different specs. They can have different neck shapes, different pickups, different hardware (some come with Grovers) and have unique wear patterns meant to replicate a specific guitar. That said, they all stem from the same basic model of guitar.

This is just one person's opinion, so take it for what it is worth. I am not trying to get into an argument with anyone over this. Others may feel differently and that is fine. I would love to get my hands on a HS and A/B it with a TH to find out if they are as similar as it sounds like they are.

goldtop0

The non Murphy painted HS guitars are priced along the same as a True Historic.

Okay, so CS have simply called the THs something else...........HS........and as you say collectors will run a mile:lol

Good lord there's now TH, CS and HS.........what's gonna be happenin' in '16:hmm