• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Long or transitional tenon?

aladdinsane

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows what this tenon is, long or transitional. It looks transitional to me, but I'm no expert...

Thanks!

$_57.JPG

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
That could be long but I haven't seen one that squared off. I'm guessing that's a late '60's guitar. Some of the guys have seen a block glued in to the end of the tenon, could be what's going on there. I've not seen that myself though. Original 1960 LP's had a tad bit shorter tenon but I can't remember seeing one squared off like yours. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of these will hop on.

aladdinsane

Thanks, Mark. It's got a mid January 69 serial number with all 68 appointments, apparently, but the tenon was throwing me. I was considering pursuing it, but the 68 vs. 69 issue would affect the price for me...

Wilko

That looks to be a 68/69 guitar. No problem at all if all 68 features. The customs got all kind of changes, but some 1969 are "all 68". Check for one-piece body, one-piece neck, and 68 style cavity.

'69 cavity with show vintage style routing with a thin extra layer right between the body and the top.

For construction purposes a "transitional tenon" is just as good as a "long tenon". Technically they are the same. That term transitional started here at LPF.

FlyingFred67

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows what this tenon is, long or transitional. It looks transitional to me, but I'm no expert...

Thanks!

$_57.JPG
Hi, I have also a January 69 LPC showing the same Type of Transitional tenon as yours. What´s the Serial of yours?
img1181vitgqh5yxj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

aladdinsane

It actually isn't mine, but I was considering buying it, so I was trying to get a proper date on it. I think the serial number was a 534 and the seller claimed that it shipped in January 1969. I know a lot of these are mixed up with transitional and long tenons, dot or no dot, etc. The seller said that it was a long tenon, but it looks transitional to me, or at least different from long tenons that I've seen.

How's yours? Does it have the fretless frets? I have '80 and '83 customs and a JP LPC, but I've been thinking about trying to get a real 68 or early 69.

Wilko

These are technically "long tenons"

That extra 1/2 inch in 1968 won't be found in '69 and doesn't make any difference

aladdinsane

Great to know! They don't look like transitional or the usual long ones I've seen, so that makes sense...