• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe B.'s new lesson with the killer brown P-90 Les Paul! Comparing P-90s and PAFs...

EdKing

THANKS, JOE. Simo & I ere talking yesterday about putting a PAF in my 55 Goldtop.
I guess it really IS a BAD IDEA.

JBLPplayer

Very interested in knowing which harvard was used for the video... 5F10 (2x6V6) push-pull fixed bias circuit or the 6G10 (1x6V6) single ended cathode biased circuit?

Thanks

The amp is a 1960... So it is the last version. I think it's like 12 watts. Sounds good... Best one of the 4 I have.
Joe B

JBLPplayer

THANKS, JOE. Simo & I ere talking yesterday about putting a PAF in my 55 Goldtop.
I guess it really IS a BAD IDEA.

Ed... I'm sure there is PAF or 6 all within arms reach at all times at Casa King. :salude

lpfan

Yet another reason the LPF is such a great place to hang out. Thanks Joe and Charlie for posting this comparison.

j45

QUOTE:

"every time I plug into a P-90 guitar I go, why aren't these worth more than a PAF?" - Joe Bonamassa, owner of nine 50's PAF bursts.

Damn good question!

kharrison

Didn't Seth Lover himself say he preferred the P90 and it was his best design?

Progrocker111

Great comparison. I prefer P90s from this video cause of their more lively and gritty tone. :dude:

Progear

the way i see it, you can hear less/more difference between the two pickups depending on the amp your playing through.. :biggrin:

jimmi

So Joe has at least 2 very good sounding p90 guitars.....why doesn't he play them live more? Or at all?

straightblues

I play a Harvard as my main amp. I can assure you from the tone of that video, Joe wasn't bs'ing when he said the Harvard was almost at full volume.

So, did you get the knock on the door or what?:dude:

Tragg

I would imagine that Gibson was shooting for a P-90 tone with the PAF - minus the 'hum' of course. Never heard that humbuckers were introduced because players were dissatisfied with the tone of P-90s.